Stop press (Top Gear):

Shenley

They Made £122.1M in profit pre tax last year, doesnt sound like a company not trying to make money,

If they wasn't trying to make money why are they selling DVDs etc at £15 each when they could easily sell them for alot less and still be in the black etc

...Investment in content, both BBC commissioned and third party, increased by 13.7% to £200.6m (2012/13: £176.4m), as BBC Worldwide began implementing its strategy of higher content investment. In that context I am pleased to report that returns to the BBC of £173.8m (2012/13: £156.0m) were up 11.4%, with dividends relating to the year of £58.5m (2012/13: £57.3m).

Put simply, this equates to 10.1% of the year's funding for BBC Television, enabling us to air more ambitious and wide-ranging programmes to our UK audiences than we otherwise could. BBC Worldwide's contribution was essential to the delivery of numerous outstanding programmes last year to UK audiences. This was particularly true in high-end drama and factual, with titles including Top of the Lake and Sherlock and natural history landmark Hidden Kingdoms....

...It is good to see the company continue to perform well both in core TV sales and international BBC channels. As well as increased exposure for on and off screen talent, international transmission means viewers can discover the best of British television, and through it form a wider appreciation of British culture...

...As we look into the new financial year, I feel confident that BBC Worldwide is striking the right balance between the near and longer term, between returns and investment, and between risk taking and preserving options. I will look to the company to continue growing its shareholder return, while building the BBC brand and audience relationships around the world.

Tony Hall

Chairman, BBC Worldwide and Director-General, BBC

So They are Out to make money

Edited by StevoD

918 review from hammond was awesome

I thought that was one of the worst pieces of car journalism I've ever seen, he had the entire Abu Dhabi race track to himself for the night and all he kept piling up about was "this Porsche has heated seats, the mclaren doesn't"

"This can go x miles in just electric power the mclaren can't" etc absolute nonsense!

Just explain what's good about it, how it drives etc like clarkson and may managed to do.

I actually think the majority of top gear recently has been very good, so I don't really want them to change anything... in the last 6 seasons (17 - 22), these are the only features I wouldn't watch again:

Creating the climactic car chase for The Sweeney (really really scripted and not at all funny)

Build and test off-road mobility scooters in the countryside (just plain dull)

Epic race from Wembley to the San Siro stadium in Milan: Shelby Mustang GT500 (concept is getting old now)

Jeremy and Richard Design a vehicle for the elderly (again, really really scripted and morbidly unfunny)

The India Special (easily the weakest special, obviously scripted, very unfunny)

Best taxi motorsport race (concept is getting old now)

Best crossovers for caravanners (just dull)

Prove that the hot hatchbacks of their youth were better than their modern equivalents (very scripted, not funny)

Make a commercial for reducing cycle-related accidents (terrible, terrible terrible)

but seeing as that is 9 episodes out of a total of 44 episodes, Top Gear still has an 80% success rate for me. Yes some episodes are proper clangers, but there are a lot of episodes that are very good. I'll certainly continue to watch with CE at the helm.

[stuff]

They say themselves

[/other stuff]

To be fair, they say a lot of stuff they don't actually mean. Like "we can't condone Jeremy Clarkson's actions", when what they really meant was "we will condone his actions until his contract runs out, because: easier".

Can't trust a word that Corporation says, y'know. Don't even get me started on their weathermen, they've never once managed to tell the truth... ;)

Ripped straight from the first page of the BBC Royal Charter:

The BBC exists to serve the public interest and its main object is the promotion of its

public purposes;

•

Its public purposes are: sustaining citizenship and civil society; promoting education

and learning; stimulating creativity and cultural excellence; representing the UK, its

nations, regions and communities; bringing the UK to the world and the world to the

UK; and, in pursuing its other purposes, helping to deliver to the public the benefit of

emerging communications technologies and services, and taking a leading role in the

switchover to digital television;

•

The Trust is the guardian of the licence fee revenue and the public interest;

•

The Trust and the Executive Board are to act separately and the Trust must maintain its

independence of the Executive Board;

•

The Trust has, inter alia, the function of assessing the performance of the Executive

Board in delivering the BBC’s services and activities and holding the Executive Board

to account for its performance;

•

The Trust must represent the interests of licence fee payers and exercise rigorous

stewardship of public money;

•

The Trust must ensure that arrangements for the collection of the licence fee are

efficient, appropriate and proportionate;

•

The Trust must have regard to the competitive impact of the BBC’s activities on the

wider market and adopt a statement of policy on fair trading policy and hold the

Executive Board to account for compliance with it;

•

The Executive Board must conduct the BBC’s operational financial affairs in a manner

best designed to ensure value for money

None of which mentions making a profit, which is what business is about. BBC Worldwide is a commercial arm which is 100% there for profit, perversely. Everything that Steve posted relates to the Worldwide arm.

I'm not saying the BBC doesn't make money, I'm saying that's not what it's there for, not its primary purpose.

Ripped straight from the first page of the BBC Royal Charter:

The BBC exists to serve the public interest and its main object is the promotion of its

public purposes;

•

Its public purposes are: sustaining citizenship and civil society; promoting education

and learning; stimulating creativity and cultural excellence; representing the UK, its

nations, regions and communities; bringing the UK to the world and the world to the

UK; and, in pursuing its other purposes, helping to deliver to the public the benefit of

emerging communications technologies and services, and taking a leading role in the

switchover to digital television;

•

The Trust is the guardian of the licence fee revenue and the public interest;

•

The Trust and the Executive Board are to act separately and the Trust must maintain its

independence of the Executive Board;

•

The Trust has, inter alia, the function of assessing the performance of the Executive

Board in delivering the BBC’s services and activities and holding the Executive Board

to account for its performance;

•

The Trust must represent the interests of licence fee payers and exercise rigorous

stewardship of public money;

•

The Trust must ensure that arrangements for the collection of the licence fee are

efficient, appropriate and proportionate;

•

The Trust must have regard to the competitive impact of the BBC’s activities on the

wider market and adopt a statement of policy on fair trading policy and hold the

Executive Board to account for compliance with it;

•

The Executive Board must conduct the BBC’s operational financial affairs in a manner

best designed to ensure value for money

None of which mentions making a profit, which is what business is about. BBC Worldwide is a commercial arm which is 100% there for profit, perversely. Everything that Steve posted relates to the Worldwide arm.

I'm not saying the BBC doesn't make money, I'm saying that's not what it's there for, not its primary purpose.

thats like saying Skoda isnt init for the money but Vw is, Its the same company

I didn't say they don't make money (see post #123), just that it's not the remit of the BBC. The Worldwide arm is very much a commercial venture, but it's there to maximise income from recycling content made for British viewers, not to steer the ship. Even in post #127 it states it only accounts for 10% of the bill for TV programming, where does the other 90% come from? Not to mention the funding for the rest of their activities like radio and the web.

So again, I'm saying viewing figures are not the main driver of the organisation. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it's actually responsible for delivering content that isn't always commercially viable, as it gives opportunities for things to make it on to TV which wouldn't do if purely commercial factors were considered.

So there's no need for TG to pander to existing viewers, in preference to taking risks to recruit some new ones.

• Like 1

Why on earth people just can't watch it once or twice and see if they like it or not regardless of their pre determined views of the future presenter is beyond me. I'm not a great fan of CE but it's a proramme aimed at petrolheads hopefully so I'll give it a go and see how I feel.

• Like 3

Why on earth people just can't watch it once or twice and see if they like it or not regardless of their pre determined views of the future presenter is beyond me. I'm not a great fan of CE but it's a proramme aimed at petrolheads hopefully so I'll give it a go and see how I feel.

Exactly

The format of the show in the last couple of series was ok it was just lazily made i.e. Just rehashing the same old concepts and ideas like races and building cars for the elderly etc etc etc

It just got tired imo so a breath of fresh air is almost certainly the right thing, all the JC fans will hate it however good it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok I've kept fairly stoom but just wanted to say some of you need to let it go. Not everyone likes the same things or people (I know you all know that I'm sure ;) ).

I for one just like grahamc, marzman, Daveyboy and maybe a few others would rather it wasn't Chris Evans chosen as the new presenter for Top Gear.

And as people keep saying; "what are you basing that on?" ...well I'm basing my opinion on basically everything I've heard or seen that man on for years and tbh I just don't like him.

That's only my opinion though and tbh it doesn't matter what I think as he will still be presenting Top Gear but as life is about choices I shall choose not to watch it just like others have/will.

• Like 4

Why does everyone who didnt like TG or JC keep banging on about it being tired or it needing refreshing, it had absolutely monstrous ratings and generated huge revenue, it needed nothing of the sort but the BBC's hand was forced by JC's behaviour.

• Like 2

Why does everyone who didnt like TG or JC keep banging on about it being tired or it needing refreshing, it had absolutely monstrous ratings and generated huge revenue, it needed nothing of the sort but the BBC's hand was forced by JC's behaviour.

Thats your opinion, others won't agree...doesn't make them (or yourself wrong) - the ratings though do not make the people that think its tired wrong either, it just means lots of people want to watch TG for what it is, I am sure if you ran a survey of all viewers you would not get 100% of them saying that the show is 100% correct and in fact might find a majority would replace at least one element of the show.

For the record, I really didn't have an issue with JC, I thought he deserved not to continue for being an utter idiot by getting drunk and punching a work colleague and in most jobs you would be dismissed for gross misconduct, but I thought he was a reasonably good presenter and clearly better than the other two.

Why does everyone who didnt like TG or JC keep banging on about it being tired or it needing refreshing, it had absolutely monstrous ratings and generated huge revenue.

Because I'm selfish. I don't give a hoot about ratings or revenue, I care about them making a show that I want to watch. I'm hoping they can make that specifically caters to my needs.

Which is pretty much the same reason as you and everyone else who loved the old TG watched it. You're selfish, and you didn't want it to change because you thought it was perfect. At the end of the day, we're all selfish when it comes to stuff like this: We only care if it works for us.

• Like 4

Why does everyone who didnt like TG or JC keep banging on about it being tired or it needing refreshing, it had absolutely monstrous ratings and generated huge revenue.

Because I'm selfish. I don't give a hoot about ratings or revenue, I care about them making a show that I want to watch. I'm hoping they can make that specifically caters to my needs.

Which is pretty much the same reason as you and everyone else who loved the old TG watched it. You're selfish, and you didn't want it to change because you thought it was perfect. At the end of the day, we're all selfish when it comes to stuff like this: We only care if it works for us.

so true haha

Kind of on topic !

I am assured by Press reporters - it was Chris Evans car I was taking photographs of this morning !!

So I came out of my London Hotel which was based yards from the BBC, to be presented with stunning cars in the street.

As one does, I stopped to take photographs of a rare light blue Ferrari (No idea on model), to be told it was one of CE's.

Will try to post up a photo later.

Kind of on topic !

I am assured by Press reporters - it was Chris Evans car I was taking photographs of this morning !!

So I came out of my London Hotel which was based yards from the BBC, to be presented with stunning cars in the street.

As one does, I stopped to take photographs of a rare light blue Ferrari (No idea on model), to be told it was one of CE's.

Will try to post up a photo later.

how did you know it was rare if you dont know the model :bleh: