Stop press (Top Gear):

Shenley

I try to suggest to my girlfriends that Cars are like Shoes - works of art.

I have managed to convince a few to view cars differently...........

I have even managed to convince one to join me at the Historic Chateau Impney (Droitwich) Hill climb in July ........ took a lot of selling mind !!! :lol:

• Like 2

Yes the three mates having a laugh worked really well and it wont be the same, but it shouldn't be and it needs to take its own path with the presenters they have. All you will get if you try and replicate it are people complaining 'its not the same' etc.

I am rather neutral about Chris Evans but happy to watch the show and see how it goes, admittedly I got bored of the old format and had stopped bothering to watch it. But is Chris Evans a petrol head, who knows, its all conjecture and interpretation based on the limited info you read in the media. I certainly saw as many petrolheads as I did posers at Goodwood (I was there with the guys off this forum actually who are all petrolheads!).

Of course it needs to be different, but it still needs to be car based entertainment and I just dont see Evans being able to deliver that. Jodie Kidd is part of the same grouping in my head.

I completely agree, both lots go to Goodwood.... its just which group we associate Evans with ;)

The rest of Series 22 is being aired from the 28th June also :)

Hope so :)

im sure hes even said on a tv before fast driving etc doesn't interest him he find the cars as art rather than toys

Thats the sort of thing I would expect him to say, so hope its right.

im sure hes even said on a tv before fast driving etc doesn't interest him he find the cars as art rather than toys

Why would fast driving define a petrolhead?

I don't like track driving, I am not a fast driver out on the roads, but I spend untolds amount of my life looking after my cars, making them look immaculate, then enjoy driving them - am I therefore not a petrolhead? All my friends say unequivocally that I am? If you lookup the definition of petrolhead there is actually one that simply says 'a car fanatic' it doesn't say anything about driving fast. Even looking up the word fanatic as a definition it means someone who has an 'obsession with zeal' which from what I can see Chris Evans has.

I think people are mixing the word petrolhead with some other definition of what they want in the next top gear presenter...just my opinion of course.

• Like 2

I don't like track driving, I am not a fast driver out on the roads, but I spend untolds amount of my life looking after my cars, making them look immaculate, then enjoy driving them - am I therefore not a petrolhead? All my friends say unequivocally that I am? If you lookup the definition of petrolhead there is actually one that simply says 'a car fanatic' it doesn't say anything about driving fast. Even looking up the word fanatic as a definition it means someone who has an 'obsession with zeal' which from what I can see Chris Evans has.

I think people are mixing the word petrolhead with some other definition of what they want in the next top gear presenter...just my opinion of course.

i never said driving fast made you a petrolhead?

would top gear be that enjoyable with just the car sat in a garage and chris evans talking about the lines and curves of that car for 60 mins nothing else but say this

60 minutes of this with Chris evans talking over would bore me

Like Graham has said top gear was big because it was a entertainment show you turn it back to just a car show it becomes fifth gear and look where thats ended up

• Like 1

But that's all Chris Evans has ever done, entertainment shows. It's all he knows, so I can't see him suddenly changing overnight.

The other two may well be crap and boring, but then so were May and Hammond.

I cannot for one second think that he would spend ages looking at a car on top gear talking about it sat in a garage and that would be that, just because he might have before it doesn't mean in any way that's his only presentation style. You said that 'driving fast doesnt interest him...' as if that was relevant and making a point of your view that he wasn't a petrolhead, so yes I agree you didn't specifically say but you included it as to imply it backed up your point.

A petrol head as far as I am concerned is simply someone who is fanatical about cars, which Chris Evans is, I cannot see how its even open to debate as to whether Chris Evans is a petrol head as clearly by definition, he is.

In terms of entertainment shows, I think if anything CE is more qualified looking at his CV than either Hammond or May (whose other shows scattered around on freeview are quite frankly rubbish) to make an entertainment show, its what he has made his millions from, irreverent entertainment.

He might well fail for other reasons and the possibility is really there and we shall see, but I don't think it will be because of the reasons cited so far i.e. that he isn't a petrol head or that he can't produce an entertainment show.

Edited by coldel

My thinking is Chris will be so enthusiast and passionate about bringing a true car show back for the car lovers that it will turn off alot of family casual top gear viewers, the show might be epic by everyone on here's standards but if it doesn't pull the number it used to BBC will just drop it, as i bet 90% of top gear views couldn't give a toss if it was a kia or koenigsegg as long as its being thrown around with someone making close to the line statements and taking the **** out of there co presenters and doing stupid stuff it was entertainment.

Also i will admit i thought Chris just presented show i wasn't aware he produced them as well

It's not how you stand by your car, it's how you race your car.

;) sorry, I had to....

A petrol head as far as I am concerned is simply someone who is fanatical about cars, which Chris Evans is, I cannot see how its even open to debate as to whether Chris Evans is a petrol head as clearly by definition, he is.

And there it is, perspective! I have no doubt in my mind that he is NOT a car enthusiast or a petrol head. He is purely a collector with money, what do you think he would drive if he had no money, like most of us? The car would then become a tool for him, point A to point B. And BTW, my guess would be a diesel BMW.

Edited by grahamc

Debating, bickering, all friendly banter!

Chris Evans does have money, he wont not have money, he has lots of cars he is fanatical about - I appreciate the theoretical scenario Graham but that isn't what is reality right now and the person we are debating - reality is he is a bloke passionate about his cars on an obsessive scale, which by definition makes him a petrol head.

Yeah yeah its not how you stand by your car :lol: I don't drive fast as I am too scared of damaging my car because I am not a great driver!

• Like 1

And there it is, perspective! I have no doubt in my mind that he is NOT a car enthusiast or a petrol head. He is purely a collector with money, what do you think he would drive if he had no money, like most of us? The car would then become a tool for him, point A to point B. And BTW, my guess would be a diesel BMW.

I really don't think you could be more wrong.

Would a collector let random strangers drive his incredibly rare and expensive Ferraris around the country for charity? Would a collector make sure that they all got used as often as possible? Would a collector give up 3/4 of his collection just to get a single car, that could be written off during said charity drive and leave him with nothing? No, but a petrolhead would.

Seriously, go read his books, and then come back and tell me he's not fanatical about cars. Speaking about his Ferraris:

Of their time, they're each at the absolute vanguard of engineering. You get the 250, which is aerodynamically pants, but brilliantly chuckable and the grunt of the engine is phenomenal. The 275 was built only a year or so later, but they learned so much in between, it's such an incredibly smooth engine. Then you got the 308 in the Eighties, the 288 GTO - which is stunningly responsive - and the F40, which you have to treat with respect or it could be the last time you drive. They're all so different. It's like the story of evolution.

Sound like just a collector to you? :p

Ekona has already said it, but posted by me elsewhere:

Im struggling to understand the people that are saying this is anything other than awesome .........

Some might not remember TV before TFI Friday, Dont forget your Toothbrush or Big Breakfast but it was completely different, he literally redefined popular TV. He then went on to make (and lose) £1bn with Virgin Radio, and currently hosts the highest rating radio show ever.

But more than this, the guy is a petrolhead with an amazing collection of cars, an undeniable passion for it (Carfest is a pretty good example but theres a lot more than that) and an actual knowledge of the history, mechanics and technology of motoring.

So we have pretty much undeniably the most successful broadcaster/producer of the last 25 years who's first love in life is cars vs a journo from the local paper who admitted he didnt know and didnt care about cars, even after they made him a multimillionaire 50 times over and as we know was often well wide of the mark in his reviews.

Fair play, if Evans does it and it turns out to be shyte then switch off, but I personally think hes the only person who can take a tired and hackneyed show like TG and make it fresh and exciting again.

Edited by docwra
  • Like 2

Chris Evans is like the British Jay Leno, and no-one ever accuses him of being a collector.

does chris evans drive his collection often then?

this isnt a **** take as far as i was aware they were in his barn/garage never on the road other than the special events for car fest etc?

Edited by StevoD

Debating, bickering, all friendly banter!

Chris Evans does have money, he wont not have money, he has lots of cars he is fanatical about - I appreciate the theoretical scenario Graham but that isn't what is reality right now and the person we are debating - reality is he is a bloke passionate about his cars on an obsessive scale, which by definition makes him a petrol head.

Yeah yeah its not how you stand by your car :lol: I don't drive fast as I am too scared of damaging my car because I am not a great driver!

And you really think that he can be appreciated by the guys driving the 106 GTis or the old BMWs, I dont. So you are good at cleaning it, but not driving it........hmmmmmmmmm

I really don't think you could be more wrong.

Would a collector let random strangers drive his incredibly rare and expensive Ferraris around the country for charity? Would a collector make sure that they all got used as often as possible? Would a collector give up 3/4 of his collection just to get a single car, that could be written off during said charity drive and leave him with nothing? No, but a petrolhead would.

Seriously, go read his books, and then come back and tell me he's not fanatical about cars. Speaking about his Ferraris:

Of their time, they're each at the absolute vanguard of engineering. You get the 250, which is aerodynamically pants, but brilliantly chuckable and the grunt of the engine is phenomenal. The 275 was built only a year or so later, but they learned so much in between, it's such an incredibly smooth engine. Then you got the 308 in the Eighties, the 288 GTO - which is stunningly responsive - and the F40, which you have to treat with respect or it could be the last time you drive. They're all so different. It's like the story of evolution.

Sound like just a collector to you? :p

Yes, he sounds like just a collector - he read the life story of Ferrari........ he reads the brochure :p

Why the hell would I read his books, I cannot describe how annoying I find him!!!!!

Ekona has already said it, but posted by me elsewhere:

Im struggling to understand the people that are saying this is anything other than awesome .........

Some might not remember TV before TFI Friday, Dont forget your Toothbrush or Big Breakfast but it was completely different, he literally redefined popular TV. He then went on to make (and lose) £1bn with Virgin Radio, and currently hosts the highest rating radio show ever.

But more than this, the guy is a petrolhead with an amazing collection of cars, an undeniable passion for it (Carfest is a pretty good example but theres a lot more than that) and an actual knowledge of the history, mechanics and technology of motoring.

So we have pretty much undeniably the most successful broadcaster/producer of the last 25 years who's first love in life is cars vs a journo from the local paper who admitted he didnt know and didnt care about cars, even after they made him a multimillionaire 50 times over and as we know was often well wide of the mark in his reviews.

Fair play, if Evans does it and it turns out to be shyte then switch off, but I personally think hes the only person who can take a tired and hackneyed show like TG and make it fresh and exciting again.

I dont know any of the TV shows that you speak of (highlighted), maybe thats why we differ in opinion on this.

So basically, the 3 people that hated the last few series of TG, refused to watch or watched it and then moaned about how crap it was or how much time they wasted are now happy with Evans as a presenter (explains a lot). Soon it will be the other way around and I will be complaining about wasting a hour watching ;)

Why the hell would I read his books, I cannot describe how annoying I find him!!!!!

Which is why you're trying to find reasons not to like him. Nowt wrong with that, but you're wrong about him not being a petrolhead.

Really, try his books, even if you steal them from the internet, it'll change your view. He's a great writer and his life story is just amazing. As an example I used to dislike Bernie, until I read his official biography and now I have a grudging respect for the dwarf.

It wasn't the presenters that stopped me watching TG, it was the format and the scripting. If they carry on in the same style then I won't be watching this one either, but if Evans can get half a chance at putting his own spin on it, I strongly suspect it's going to be superb.

• Like 2

Which is why you're trying to find reasons not to like him. Nowt wrong with that, but you're wrong about him not being a petrolhead.

Really, try his books, even if you steal them from the internet, it'll change your view. He's a great writer and his life story is just amazing. As an example I used to dislike Bernie, until I read his official biography and now I have a grudging respect for the dwarf.

It wasn't the presenters that stopped me watching TG, it was the format and the scripting. If they carry on in the same style then I won't be watching this one either, but if Evans can get half a chance at putting his own spin on it, I strongly suspect it's going to be superb.

Maybe I ought to read the wee man's biog then as I have a growing dislike for the man.

I suspect you maybe right about CE though, the guy is a TV production genius and I have no doubt that the show will be brilliantly produced and crafted, it'll be the content that I will be more interested in and as I said earlier in the thread if you don't watch you can't comment so I'll be saving my thoughts other than this until i've seen 2 or 3 shows.

Not really a great fan of Chris Evans but cannot be any worse than watching those 3 twonks trying to be funny.

Might actually start watching top gear again :thumbs: I wish Chris all the luck in this as he is going to get grief if he does well or not.

• Like 1

There are plenty of other petrol heads that I dislike and have no issues with them being a petrol head, just Evans right now.

You just put me off reading/listening to any of those books....... Bernie, I hang my head in shame for YOU :byebye: I know what you mean though, I found a different level of respect for Eric Bana after Love the Beast.

I agree, the scripting was bad, but it was still entertaining... Have the BBC announced that there is a different format or just a change in presenters? I still think very little will change in script and format, only the presenters being swapped over. I will be giving it a try, will time how long it takes before I want to throw things at my TV because of Evans.

I believe most of the writing staff have left, so it should be significantly different. Who knows at this point though, they may well prioritise commercial interests over a refresh?

That will be one way of killing the show off for good!

Will also depend on the other presenters