Job Interview Question - Advice Pls.

14N

Hi All,

I'm currently in the process of looking and applying for a new job. One question that I seem to be asked a lot is "Have you got anything else lined up/Have you applied for other positions"? etc.

I'm not quite sure how to answer this for the best (for me). Honest answer is; yes I've applied elsewhere and I'm in different stages of their respective selection process (Telephone interviews/stage one face-to-face/second interview etc).

So, when asked this question, do I answer:

A ). Yes, I've applied for other positions and I'm currently in different stages of the process after attending interviews. I'm just awaiting feedback and confirmation (or not) if I've reached the next stage.

In the hope that this gives the impression that other companies are interested in me and creates an additional sense of desirability that others may want me and my experience, making any offer an improved one.

My only other thoughts on this are; if you were on a first date and the girl (or guy, depending on which team you play for) asks if you've got anything else lined up and you reply "Yes, I've spoken to a few on the telephone, I'm emailing another, plus I've got other dates tomorrow and Friday" I think you'd be lucky to get a second date. :lol:

Or there's option B.

When asked, say that this is the only position you've applied for so far, as the job, company and career prospects at [insert company name] are perfect and you'd really like to come and develop your own career here. Nowhere else. You're the only girl (or guy :winkiss: ) for me.

Your thoughts welcome. (Awaits LMGTFY link.... :lol: ).

Cheers, Ian :thumbs:

I'm recruiting people at the moment and although I don't ask that question, I'd probably prefer Answer A. It shows that you've got some get-up-and-go about you and it lets me know I've got to pull my finger out if I want you.

If you gave me answer B, I'd probably think you were a bit lazy, unless you accompanied it with some BS about how you really want to work for my specific company above all others because of [some very good reasons, not just pay/holiday/etc]

Edited by Commander
  • Like 2

A, tell the truth - it tends to come across a lot better.

I would never not consider someone because they are in demand and seeing other companies - in fact it makes complete sense, why would you not look into all your options?

Thanks all. I've been going with Plan A all along so far,but you know when that element of doubt kicks in, it's just good to get some reassurance you're doing the right thing. :)

I've had a few telephone interviews this week that I'm waiting to hear back from, but I had a face-to-face interview last Friday for a position that I'd like to get the most. I've now been invited back for the second (and final) stage for that one (next Friday 19th), so fingers crossed.

Cheers all :thumbs:

I would say A but as per Commander's comment on B, add some LIGHT BS about this one being particularly interesting. Without, you know, sucking them off so to speak.

Not sure I buy into that - unless the company was McClaren or Ferrari and you were an automotive engineer. If you are a middle of the road company and somebody doesnt come with a compelling story as to why they really would want to work for you and havent applied elsewhere it wont land.

A.

(but spin it nicely)

Same as going on dates, you don't want to explicitly say, yep I'm at it left right and centre but a wry smile, softly letting them know you are seeing others is a good thing.

Option B is lame, in interviews and dates ;)

Hi Ian,

Go for A, you will be more relaxed with your reply since you are telling the truth plus any employer would fully expect you to be looking at other positions.

Be prepared for the fact that they may ask who these other positions are with and the job description - this way they get some idea of your current and future aspirations.

You could also add some BS and say that the position you are being interviewed for is the one that you really want.

Importantly, do your homework and find out all you can on the Company, I hate it if I interview someone and they have no idea what my company does.

Good luck.

Chris

i change jobs once a year. 4 weeks into this one. so i get through alot of interviews - ive turned down job because they dont suit my needs: thats probably my advice to anyone, remember an interview is a 2-way process. including wages!

i caused a stink with the recruitment agency this time around because i was offered the job, and i said ''great, this is the amount i want £'' which was some £6k on top of the offer :lol: they had a fit, but guess what. i spoke to the employers, explained why and sold myself (again) and i got it.

always a 2-way street.

which ties in with the ''what to tell them'', i always treat every prospect as ''The only job for me'', i tell the recruiters that i am on demand, and that im actively looking and others are progressing my applications. but when it comes to sittingdown with the employers in interview i make it clear that their company is where i want to be.

Sell yourself. and by saying you love their comnpany and the prospects and etc, what you are actually doing is complimenting them and inflating heads - works a treat :)

Think of it like a playground social experiment; you always like the kids that are nice to you, and will gravitate towards those kids.

I would say A but as per Commander's comment on B, add some LIGHT BS about this one being particularly interesting. Without, you know, sucking them off so to speak.

Not sure I buy into that - unless the company was McClaren or Ferrari and you were an automotive engineer. If you are a middle of the road company and somebody doesnt come with a compelling story as to why they really would want to work for you and havent applied elsewhere it wont land.

I was meaning more about the specifics of the role you're going for than the company. I'd much rather have someone who's keen on the job than keen on the company.

Unless you're applying for a job at Google or similar who are well known for being a great place to work, how on earth would you know if it's the only place for you? Until the interview you have no idea, an interview is your chance to get to know the employers as much as it is for them to get to know you. So why would an employer not expect you to be looking for other jobs? They're probably more interested in if you're serious about leaving your current position, if they take their time finding the right candidate if you'll still be available, have you had 100 unsuccessful interviews but this one just happened to click, etc. An answer such as "I have an offer from another company but this role seems more interesting to me because of X, Y & Z, I have to let them know within a week so a quick response to this interview would be much appreciated" would be perfectly acceptable if it's true. Probably best not to mention the companies involved though.

Edited by HaydnH

Ian, defo go with option A, but if you really want to add a postive impact, add a cheeky wink as well

It'll give them the "'I'm playing the field, but it could be your lucky day Toots, if you know what I mean ;) ....." kind of feel :)

Edited by Bockaaarck

Ian, defo go with option A, but if you really want to add a postive impact, add a cheeky wink as well

It'll give them the "'I'm playing the field, but it could be your lucky day Toots, if you know what I mean ;) ....." kind of feel :)

Only if you're wearing a gimp suit and high heals.

Update for those that are interested/care/posted in the thread/or accidentally touched the screen of their smartphone whilst viewing new content :lol:

Had my second interview this morning. Had to give a presentation and answer some scenario based questions.

I got the job :thumbs::yahoo:

Apparently they (the interviewers) have a set series of questions they ask each candidate after they have delivered their presentation.

After I'd delivered mine, they looked at each other, looked at the questions they had, asked each other if they had any questions and initially they were stumped - I'd covered everything in my presentation :lol:

From that point it was in the bag apparently. I smashed it :yahoo:

Happy days.

Edited by 14N