Life lesson: Never let your friends drive your car

wmr1980

My best friend and I are both car nuts, between us we have nearly 40 years of driving experience in cars, and about 30 on bikes. We've always driven one another's cars and bikes, and there's never been an issue. However today it all changed. I've had my first car crash, as a passenger.

We're both fine and that's the most important thing, and whilst I'm devastated about my car, my friendship means more to me than that, and I know he will sort me out financially and will do all he can to help - that's not a problem. It is just devastating seeing your pride and joy get destroyed and being unable to do anything about it. I cannot imagine how he feels about having destroyed my car either - I can only imagine the shock and numbness I would be feeling.

My wife was told I was in a car crash and was obviously distraught until she knew I was okay, and she had just had news that her best friend's mother has just died so she was already feeling emotional. It's been a bit of a trying weekend.

So unless you don't really care about your car, never let anyone drive it because I tell you what I've never felt so sick at having to deal with a wrecked car. Getting it onto the flatbed and driving it all the way home was the longest drive of my life - and seeing all the neighbours peering and undoubtedly judging. However, I don't really care what people think, I'm just upset, both because my wife has had a crap weekend and this now has just pushed us both to a really subdued and emotional state.

I think it's more than probably a write off, the recovery drivers were less than optimistic - but I'm not surprised, and frankly I'm expecting the worse. I guess I'll have to see if it can be fixed (my friend will be paying) and if it can't well I'll have to take all the parts off (new brakes, LSD, Pads, exhaust, plenum, decats, clutch, SMF, stereo) and try and transfer it to another Zed if I can get one.

Feel numb, not angry, but just numb. There's no point to this thread - just venting my emotional frustration.

Here's the damage:

mDGf71dh.jpg

SvGL2eBl.jpg

zGbvYWNl.jpg

jzAKYCxl.jpg

E6ZF27jl.jpg

mCOqFgml.jpg

Yeah he's not feeling great - but I know he will do all he can to make this right, of that I'm not worried. He may have written off my car but he hasn't written off our friendship. I dread to think how he must be feeling.

We're both fine - with everything that's happened this weekend this just tipped us both over the edge. Dejected doesn't come close to how we feel.

He came out of a roundabout and got on the gas too hard, and lost control.

Wow so many emotions there matey. For your wife too, friend and yourself. As long as you're all okay that's MAIN thing here.

That's fixable looks to be nothing chasis wise, but the rear quarter alone new is some £5-600, had one myself.

You're probably looking at £2k of work there.

on the upside

when you get a replacement - you can then makesure that the fuel filler cap paint matches the rest :blush:

that aside glad your ok

That made me laugh - you're right!

Yeah we're fine. Just shaken up.

Sorry to see this mate, the main thing is you're both ok. You must be absolutely gutted., looking at the damage I would say she's a write off, unfortunately.

Of that I'm in no doubt. I just hope I can minimise the financial burden as much as possible for my friend and get it replaced ASAP.

Wow so many emotions there matey. For your wife too, friend and yourself. As long as you're all okay that's MAIN thing here.

That's fixable looks to be nothing chasis wise, but the rear quarter alone new is some £5-600, had one myself.

You're probably looking at £2k of work there.

Yeah it's been an emotional weekend.

My friend will pay whatever it takes to get it fixed and / or replaced - that's not a problem - it's just the crap you have to deal with to get it there. I've phoned him again to make sure he knows that it's all okay.

It's just upsetting when things like this happens - but I will never let something like this drive a wedge between my friend and I - he was my best man, and he will continue to be my best friend.

• Like 3

Such a shame and really a basic error on a damp road - heard this issue out of roundabouts so many times on here over the years. But the good news you and no one else were hurt.

Lovely looking Zed too

lhJOpHr.jpg

• Like 1

Yup - it's funny, you think something basic like that would come naturally to someone with his experience, but mistakes happen even in the hand of experts. It just proves that sometimes when things go wrong they go wrong hard.

She's a gorgeous girl, but she looks very sorry for herself now. :(

I've bought some T-cut, but not sure where to start...

She's a tough car - didn't feel the crash really.

After my accident, I never drive other cars that either I can't afford to replace immediately with cash, or that I'm not insured FC on. This is a sad and stark reminder of why I do that.

I'm just glad you're okay though, cars can be replaced but people never can. :)

• Like 2

Thanks guys. As I said - this is a life lesson. Fortunately my friend can afford to financially sort me out - but it doesn't make it any easier to accept!

My poor wife has had a bit of an emotional roller coaster today.

It's not been a great weekend!

But as you said, we're okay - that's the main thing.

I also deeply and gratefully appreciate the kind words offered. :)

Well that sucks seeing your lovely Zed like that. :byebye: Glad you're all ok physically though.

I learnt this lesson years ago when I let one of my mates drive my first car. He hadn't even passed his driving test but I thought I'd give him a little free lesson.

We were in a private car park with loads of space so I thought he'd be ok.

Boy was I wrong as he didn't turn hard enough making a U-turn, panicked, forgot which one the brake was and drove us head long into a crash barrier. :doh:

Luckily the damage was minimal & I fixed most of it myself. Only really cost me £12 for a used headlight (was on an '88 Micra Mk1) which he paid. ;)

Gutted for you mate but most important thing is everyone is all okay ðŸ‘🻠car seems to have stood up well to the impact!

You will feel really down just now but you will get a new car sorted and be back on the road in no time!

Did he have the traction control turned off when it happened? Just I gave it a bit to much gas in torrential rain coming off a roundabout a few weeks ago and the zed caught it for me thank goodness 😳

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't really want to open this thread gutted for you Will know how much you love the car but you have a great attitude towards it Will. If I can be of any help please let me know.

Thanks Ed, I think even with your skills you might be hard pushed to recover it in her current state!!

• Like 2

I had a scary moment in my mates new M3 last Sunday.

God knows what I would've said if I'd written it off.

They are savage, brutal, wonderful cars.

Now I really want one and I can't afford it :/

I feel for you both, more your mate oddly enough, I can't image how annoyed he must be.

I do wonder if the non standard diff had anything to do with it, though.

Please explain ( genuine interested )

Utterly gutted for you, your mate and wife :(

You have a great attitude though and I have much respect for that , as in life we all go through horrible things sometime but it's how we deal with them that really matter .

on the upside

when you get a replacement - you can then makesure that the fuel filler cap paint matches the rest :blush:

It's an azure thing, mine does the same in certain light!

Feel really bad for you OP.....glad no one was hurt though!

• Like 1

Pleased your both OK.........your mind set is perfect......like in previous comments. You can replace the Z...but with a friendship and wife like that.....priceless !

All the best buddy and keep us posted on your replacement / repair

Thanks guys it means a lot. :) Life's too short to hold grudges, friends are more important, and we're both fine, and I know he won't screw me over. And I can't begin to imagine how bad he must be feeling - I'd be devastated.

As for the non standard diff, I don;'t think that would have made a difference, I found it more predictable and much easier to use - I just think it was lack of familiarity and just a bad decision.,

Edited by wmr1980