The "Show us your garage" thread

AliveBoy

Didnt know there was a garage bragging thread :)

Mines still a work in progress 10 years on

I started with a shed, it was nasty inside , not enough power , no heating , lots of mice and things went rusty overnight

5448_zpse957841f.jpg

4909_zpsqksslwez.jpg

Then got to spec my garage as part of the house extension

4832.jpg

Built to the same standard as the house so well insulated plumbed with two rads and Sky TV - It has the potential to be turned into another room if needed by new owners or over my dead body!

6268.jpg

It was very much a workshop when I was racing, I spent until 10pm most evenings in there

5728.jpg

5140_zpsdjt4b16h.jpg

When the bikes all went it was time to get a better floor

P1000916_zpsqzgpz26x.jpg

P1000919_zpsx4gijl4o.jpg

and occasionally change the toy

P1010952_zpsxwuw7lha.jpg

P1000301_zpsf9nxbdxy.jpg

The 370 has caused me problems with the floor tiles moving about , so they had to come up and I repainted the floor with 2 pack epoxy to see if it would last - It didnt by the way

20131228_111310_zpsk0lrrr1i.jpg

The during the winter of 2013/14 we had ground water coming up

20140309_1151331_zps88064489.jpg

But the car kept snug

20140309_1604031_zps4c072709.jpg

Then it got worse

20140225_1115451_zps12b23807.jpg

Thank god I painted the floor , as it was much more manageable and the damage was minor

Fast forward to this week, tiles back down this time gripfill holding them in place and a new toolbox which allowed me to make a longer workbench

My old workbench, vice and drill have been relegated to the back room

20151123_093328_zpsyo1gex8x.jpg

20151123_093305_zpsjpzctmbd.jpg

20151123_093258_zpspdjfwdlw.jpg

That colour of your zed :cloud9::throb:

If you come to our B and B you are welcome to use the workshop facilities if you have a job you want to do on your Zed :thumbs: and i`m happy to lend you a hand.

http://www.chynoweth...ashbandb.co.uk/

And we do offer a 10% discount to forum members

If you come to our B and B you are welcome to use the workshop facilities if you have a job you want to do on your Zed :thumbs: and i`m happy to lend you a hand.

Good chance the Mrs and me will take you up on your offer around may June next year, the Mrs has always wanted to see the set do Doc Martin. Will be in touch in the new year to sort out dates.

Cheers

Bri

Some nice set ups posted up. I've just taken two 500 sf side by side industrial units on lease from my local council primarily for my business stuff but there's plenty of room left over to use for working on my cars and my recently purchased track slag. The Mrs won't let me build a double garage in the garden :angry::mad:

Bonus is they are only 2 mins up the road from my house, so not bad.

Edited by Irn Bru

• 10 months later...

THREAD RESURRECTION!

So following on from this.....

These are my BEFORE

20130604_170729_zpsf46d05fb.jpg

20130604_170715_zps232d87e3.jpg

20140325_144957_zps6nrf3ttd.jpg

I'm afraid the after pics might take a while to upload.......

Like...............a few years when I get round to doing something with it. :lol:

I finally got round to doing something..

The first thing I had to deal with was the fact that I couldn't get a car in the garage without the use of lots of scaffold boards due to a ridiculous level change on the drive....and the fact it looked like a pikey site :surrender:

20130604_135903_zpsw5f4s2zp.jpg

20130604_170739_zpsc5btgeii.jpg

So a few tonnes of Carstone..

20131001_084130_zpsrwjogxaw.jpg

LOTS of shoveling, raking and the use of a hired wacker plate ...

20131002_115448_zpsu72om1lc.jpg

20131002_115418_zpsmgr4wbxx.jpg

Then a few Tonne of gravel, MORE shoveling, raking and more time on the whackerplate...

20131002_193302_zpspmrdgpn4.jpg20131002_193336_zpsohdsadlu.jpg

Could finally get the car in and out! :)

20131008_174001_zpsa6xchue5.jpg

Now for inside......

I decided to line the walls with 11mm OSB board for warmth, strength and so I could just screw sh*t to it wherever I needed to without too much worry.

20160112_160103_zpsc0zoouup.jpg20160113_181953_zpsefsvhgjk.jpg

Lick of paint

20160207_120424_zpsi0hgamnz.jpg

Then to board the ceiling. This is very hard to do on your own with 8x4 sheets of OSB balanced on your head on the worlds most flimsy step ladder! :scare: But got there in the end.

20160303_171243_zpsueysnr1u.jpg

A hatch for roof storage..

20160303_171246_zps2zkztknm.jpg

And some more paint

20160304_170319_zpsm2yyyhzk.jpg

Re-wired the electrics so I've got more lights and LOADS of sockets..

20160620_161339_zpsjd6474ju.jpg

A workbench with vice and sink, (this now has water and taps)

20160613_131852_zpsbhbyfxwo.jpg

And this is what I'm currently left with....

20160627_155756_zpsdj4z77j1.jpg

Now I've got to decide on the flooring. I was 99% gonna go with an epoxy resin, but I need to keep costs down. The floor is 50m2 so all options are expensive. I've found a dealer on ebay that has good reviews and I could get enough resin to do it for about £150. But with thinners and etching stuff it goes above £200 easy as there is some oil stains etc... but I would love it to look neat and tidy. I'm just scared that I'll spend the time and money doing it and get annoyed if it chips or starts to lift.

I'm now leaning towards using used carpet tiles. Cheap (about £100), tidy-ish, warm to lay on, easy to replace etc.

Also I'm thinking that it would make a good room for parties etc (with a few disco lights and a bar :lol: ) and carpet will make it feel more like a room and less like a garage.

Any thoughts/experience on the floor? :shrug:

Looking good!

I painted my floor with epoxy about 10 years ago and it has lasted really well. I was hoping to do it again before I got the car back but didn't manage it.

As I understand, it is any trapped moisture in the concrete that causes the the epoxy to lift. The surface has to be stable and dust free too. I brushed and hoovered mine then painted it with a special primer first. Mine does have a DPC membrane below the concrete as well to prevent damp rising through. The painted surface is very easy to maintain and hard wearing.

As you've kindly updated your post with makeover pics I might post one of mine up. Any excuse to show off some cupboards :lol:

Edited by leonk

The only issue with carpet tiles is that when you spill fluids on them, they're going to soak it up like a sponge. Do that often and you're going to be replacing tiles a lot, which could be a pain depending on how you fix them down.

I'm not saying don't use them (they're what I'm going to use for mine), just be aware of the limitations.

so I'd forgotten about this thread :blush:

I've moved out of my little garage, primarily as my truck project was too long for it and was too wide for the door too :lol: I now have a 1/3 share in a 1200sqft shed, which has power and a roof! We're looking for another one too, as with all of these things we have too much stuff now!

IMG_20160716_223531.jpg

We can get two vehicles across with plenty of room in the middle, we can have three cars lined on each side, so six in total, although generally we have 4 with work space at the front. There's a mezzanine up top for storage, racking at the back and to one side and then there's two work benches, one at the front and one at the back.

The orange tiny tool chest is long gone as it stored basically nothing :lol: There's plenty of wall space for car stuff too :D

DSC_0188.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

DSC_0847.jpg

Downsides are there's no water inside so it's a bit of a walk, and there's not three phase power either which is a bummer. Otherwise it's perfect :thumbs:

• Like 2

The only issue with carpet tiles is that when you spill fluids on them, they're going to soak it up like a sponge. Do that often and you're going to be replacing tiles a lot, which could be a pain depending on how you fix them down.

I'm not saying don't use them (they're what I'm going to use for mine), just be aware of the limitations.

I had carpet tiles at one point , they do soak up the damp and can go mouldy , everything sticks to them and they can even make the garage smell funky

Why not for now just paint the floor with floor paint, screwfix do some stuff cheap enough and if you do go tile or carpet having it painted will make laying them easier

I was reading through this thread as I haven't seen it for a while, some very nice garages and a lot of effort gone into making them as well!

I realise there are none of the Zed Shed II though so I thought I should post a couple up :)

Before

image1_zpsqlesgolz.jpg

After

20161017_112638_zpslpyrrss8.jpg

Outside

20161017_113049_zpsrkjprin6.jpg

Inside

20161017_112755_zpsmtmflozu.jpg

Tools all neat on the wall

20161017_112807_zpsjykxa0ij.jpg

Machine shop (Thats what I call it :lol: )

20161017_112839_zps5qk1lqlv.jpg

Store

20161017_112900_zpss95kys4w.jpg

Paint and Powder Coat Room

20161017_112913_zpshk7he4t8.jpg

don't forget the ramps

S1051368_zpsxz7tfq1t.jpg

Still need more space though :scare: as said above, it seems that it don't matter how much space you have you seem to fill it :lol:

• Like 2

I was reading through this thread as I haven't seen it for a while, some very nice garages and a lot of effort gone into making them as well!

I realise there are none of the Zed Shed II though so I thought I should post a couple up :)

Before

image1_zpsqlesgolz.jpg

After

20161017_112638_zpslpyrrss8.jpg

Outside

20161017_113049_zpsrkjprin6.jpg

Inside

20161017_112755_zpsmtmflozu.jpg

Tools all neat on the wall

20161017_112807_zpsjykxa0ij.jpg

Machine shop (Thats what I call it :lol: )

20161017_112839_zps5qk1lqlv.jpg

Store

20161017_112900_zpss95kys4w.jpg

Paint and Powder Coat Room

20161017_112913_zpshk7he4t8.jpg

don't forget the ramps

S1051368_zpsxz7tfq1t.jpg

Still need more space though :scare: as said above, it seems that it don't matter how much space you have you seem to fill it :lol:

Wow!

It's a credit to you and the builder whom wants to remain anonymous as he has too much work booked in already! Lol

• Like 2

Looking good!

I painted my floor with epoxy about 10 years ago and it has lasted really well. I was hoping to do it again before I got the car back but didn't manage it.

As I understand, it is any trapped moisture in the concrete that causes the the epoxy to lift. The surface has to be stable and dust free too. I brushed and hoovered mine then painted it with a special primer first. Mine does have a DPC membrane below the concrete as well to prevent damp rising through. The painted surface is very easy to maintain and hard wearing.

As you've kindly updated your post with makeover pics I might post one of mine up. Any excuse to show off some cupboards :lol:

10 years is pretty good! Do you use trolley jacks axle stands etc?

I'm unsure whether there is a membrane underneath for damp, but the floor does appear to be dry all the time and dusty as fook. I would of course sweep hoover, jet wash before doing anything as I'm sure its all in the prep.

Yeah get ya pics up! Everyone likes a garage/mancave.

Yeah this is a consideration, as I assume to keep them in place for cars driving over them and turning steering wheel they will have to be glued down. Not sure how difficult they would be to pull up after.

I don't intend on spilling fluids regularly as I have plenty of my wife's ruined washing up bows to catch fluids :lol: but inevitably it will happen.

excellent garage ..................... but never knew that OSB had any thermal properties :lol::blush:

:blush: I didn't say thermal properties ;) I was comparing it to a single skin of timber cladding (which it was) that was quite drafty. It actually surprised me how much 'warmer' it is in there now!

I had carpet tiles at one point , they do soak up the damp and can go mouldy , everything sticks to them and they can even make the garage smell funky

Why not for now just paint the floor with floor paint, screwfix do some stuff cheap enough and if you do go tile or carpet having it painted will make laying them easier

Not sure I would suffer mould as the garage is quite airy being timber and plenty of gaps around the doors etc :lol:

Good point about the stuff sticking to it! This is a consideration for me as I do do the occasional bit of woodwork in there so wouldn't want it full of shavings that I couldn't get off. A friend of mine who has carpet tiles reckons that his hoovers fine and he's not had an issue even with sawdust ? Hmm

The reason I'm dubious about using a cheaper garage floor paint like the screwfix one, is if it doesn't adhere properly and I decide to go with epoxy, I'd probably have the hassle of having to remove all the paint or the epoxy would end up lifting. :dry:

I wish I could go with a rubber floor, but can't believe how expensive that stuff is! It's ridiculous!

Decisions ....

** Pics of Chris's amazing house for cars**

Wow. That is some set up Chris! Literally another bungalow in the garden just for cars B)

So, is that Epoxy on your floor? I remember you said you used it on Zed shed 1 after getting some cheap from some geezer.

That's a large floor area, did you get a cheap deal somewhere? any recommendations etc?

** Pics of Chris's amazing house for cars**

Wow. That is some set up Chris! Literally another bungalow in the garden just for cars B)

So, is that Epoxy on your floor? I remember you said you used it on Zed shed 1 after getting some cheap from some geezer.

That's a large floor area, did you get a cheap deal somewhere? any recommendations etc?

Hi Sam :wave: - been a while :)

It is just standard "garage floor" / industrial area floor paint in Zed Shed II as the cost of epoxy for something that size was just too much at the time, it's not as good as the epoxy that Zed Shed 1 has - which is still holding up well but it was nearly a quarter of the price so I can paint it 3 more times :lol: It is doing OK at the moment though oil spills etc just wipe clean see how it is after a couple of years.

My anonymous builder did say he had built smaller bungalows :blush::lol:

• Like 2

The reason I'm dubious about using a cheaper garage floor paint like the screwfix one, is if it doesn't adhere properly and I decide to go with epoxy, I'd probably have the hassle of having to remove all the paint or the epoxy would end up lifting. :dry:

I wish I could go with a rubber floor, but can't believe how expensive that stuff is! It's ridiculous!

Decisions ....

Its down to the prep really , the places the cheap paint came off in my garage the epoxy came off also , hot sticky tyres lifted it in my case so i was left with 4 patches in no time , thats why i went back to tiles , they are far from a perfect solution as well

• Like 1