GT-Four

coldel

Ha yeah, sod the lot of you that do not like it, I do :lol: I think the camera angle makes it look a lot fatter than it actually is, it still easily clears speed bumps too.

Fox nailed it above, it was built to rally but I have lowered the car put larger alloys on and sprayed badges discreet black so it looked a bit odd on the front with the raised nose the side profile of it was just not fitting with the rest of the car which looked more GT.

Car going back to spray shop to get the wings blended in (as the red is slightly off the wings but matches the bonnet) - I didnt blend it originally as I wanted to be sure I wanted to stay with the look but having lived with it for a week or so really like the front so getting the blending work done and have sold the OEM bumper/fogs.

Fortunately the majority of my driving is on London roads, no fear of not having front fogs (which I never used once in nearly two years of ownership).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, have the car looking how I envisaged it. Took the plunge with the C-One full front bumper, most people go the route of adding the lip but I went the whole hog and replaced it all. Wrapped black roof to run with the rear visor, it really is looking how i want it, sleek, low slung and aggressive but retaining some of its 90s character. Also had a little play with plastidip metalizer on some of the interior parts, photos coming shortly...

LydVTj4.jpg?1

• Like 2

Cars are definitely getting bigger nowadays, came back to mine in the car park and honestly looked like mine was some toy car next to a tank :lol:

YlGEglC.jpg

I know what you mean , took a pic when shuffling cars around at home and the wifes Prius dwarves the 370z which is NOT a small car

20160321_0739321_zpsyi5kglwx.jpg

Finally, have the car looking how I envisaged it. Took the plunge with the C-One full front bumper, most people go the route of adding the lip but I went the whole hog and replaced it all. Wrapped black roof to run with the rear visor, it really is looking how i want it, sleek, low slung and aggressive but retaining some of its 90s character. Also had a little play with plastidip metalizer on some of the interior parts, photos coming shortly...

M Reg better nick than my shogun!

Looking epic CD!

• Like 1

Hm...I would have gone brushed aluminium vinyl myself, though I expect you're right, the camera isn't doing it justice. Looks almost like neochrome (as a colour, not a finish) from that photo.

Edited by Aashenfox

Aluminium is on my list, great thing with plastidip is being able to just peel it off. Wanted to try the more 'out there' options first, it does look much better in reality than the camera captures, its not neo chrome at all.

Aluminium is on my list, great thing with plastidip is being able to just peel it off. Wanted to try the more 'out there' options first, it does look much better in reality than the camera captures, its not neo chrome at all.

Until it melts your front bumper :lol:

What's it like on an interior? I'm tempted to have a go at doing my Z interior (centre console + cubby door / button), but am worried it won't feel nice and will chip easy.

It does feel nice, like the rubberised feeling of a good quality phone case. I did my BMW interior with brushed aluminium vinyl, then plastidipped the ashtrays and a couple of other things black. Looked perfect, like a high quality rubberised coating, perfectly smooth. Was easy enough to clean. I don't know how long it will hold up to touching and scratching though.

It does feel nice, like the rubberised feeling of a good quality phone case. I did my BMW interior with brushed aluminium vinyl, then plastidipped the ashtrays and a couple of other things black. Looked perfect, like a high quality rubberised coating, perfectly smooth. Was easy enough to clean. I don't know how long it will hold up to touching and scratching though.

Dunno how it will hold up on my cubby door release button.

2519324576_de27b97b8f.jpg

Top style might be fine, but with the bottom style (that I have), I reckon it might get scraped off instantly.

Plastidip is a matter of patience. The trick is to apply enough coats that it will peel off nicely. If you apply it too light it comes off in tiny pieces and is a nightmare. If you apply it too thick, you get orange peel effect. The best approach is patient light costs and lots of them, say 6, then a slightly heavier final coat and you should end up with a smooth finish and easy peeling later. It is MUCH easier than using spray paint, so of you have the patience for painting properly, Plastidip is childs play by comparison.

Dunno how it will hold up on my cubby door release button.

2519324576_de27b97b8f.jpg

Top style might be fine, but with the bottom style (that I have), I reckon it might get scraped off instantly.

I agree. You don't really want to do it on parts that are used often or slide back and forth. Although having said that, I put it thick on the front grill of the beamer, deliberately thick enough to get a bit of orange peel, and it lasted 6 months including being jetwashed by the monkeys at the petrol station and still looked like new when the car was nicked.

Edited by Aashenfox
  • Like 1

It is like a high quality phone cover - it is also the cheap option! I really want to hydrodip them ultimately, the plastic is quite thin and fiddly in parts so vinyl wrap doesn't work so well, the dip would give the cleaner better look in my opinion. I did plastidip my R33 interior and it stood up pretty well, a couple of nicks appeared after a few months, the dash though in the R33 was a lot more curved, the Celica is quite flat and vertical so you are not really resting your hands on any part of it.

I was really impressed with the finish of the metalizer though, it really did wow me for the price (£10 for a can off ebay) and adds a more professional finish to it. Whole thing came out smooth and even across the surface.

• Like 1

Hyrdodip looks amazing and would be ideal, but plastidip does a decent job for a fraction of the cost.

While we're on the topic, do you think plastidip would be alright on a Z plenum? Dunno how hot it gets and whether it would damage the dip...

Though to avoid too much derailing, did you dip the rest of the interior too? (e.g. trim around the side air vents)

Edited by Strudul