My lack of talent - ie. Spin

Sam Mcgoo

Also take your feet off the pedals.

Never do this!

When in a spin, both feet in; i.e. hard on both clutch and brake. You want to be removing speed ASAP as you've lost control of the vehicle, but you also want to keep the engine running.

I didn't see a lot wrong, just one of those things that happens when you're pushing on, especially on that corner. Tbh if you don't spin at least once on track then you're not pushing hard enough ;) You got very lucky though, entering grass near on sideways is the single easiest way to flip a car on trackday.

did he have mpss fitted though

Watch how drifters get the car back in a straight line or even JC.. :surrender:

They let go the steering wheel.. :scare:

And this is what happens when you lock everything up, straight to the scene ot he accident.. :scare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-bjLmCPvFIY

regarding drifting

i have never let go of the steering wheel?

if it starts to go beyond point of return, foot on the brake hand brake up and clutch in and keep the steering on full lock it was pointing so more chance to spin on the spot than slide off into a wall

Edited by StevoD

To be fair that corner at Bedford is surprisingly tricky and caught out everything from scoobys to xk8s to meganes, it also gave me a little shakedown too. Basically don't feel too hard on yourself and be gracious for acres of grass there. As for that Porsche vid, holy sh*t that looked nasty!

Looks very similar to what happened to me at Bedford - despite having done quite a bit of drifting in the past (in my MX5) hit the white and red which were wet and just didn't correct quick enough or well and got on the power too hard too early. I posted the vid a while back. I only did a 180 but Brillo and Will370z enjoyed the view as they were behind me! :D

Don't worry Sam I'll get the vid up of me out at Castle Combe today - No spins, but you can watch me getting passed by everything on the track including a 100cc classic Mini :lol:

I'm not sure if it was the hail slowing me down or the fact I can't actually see where I'm going :scare::lol:

• Like 1

Don't worry Sam I'll get the vid up of me out at Castle Combe today - No spins, but you can watch me getting passed by everything on the track including a 100cc classic Mini :lol:

I'm not sure if it was the hail slowing me down or the fact I can't actually see where I'm going :scare::lol:

If you got passed by a 100cc mini, sell the Radical now..!! :scare:

If you got passed by a 100cc mini, sell the Radical now..!! :scare:

Mate pedal bikes were passing me I think a snail hit the back of me I did nearly 2 laps with the indicator on hugging the kerb, I would have come in but I could not see the pit lane :lol:

• Like 5

Dan, im looking at doing a track day at Bedford soon, to learn the new car abit, can i contact you nearer the time, and see if you rare free. Would also like to hear your comments on my VX, and what you think needs improving.

Ekona, your suggestion sounds like a better arrangement for me than the ones in the links.

I took a look at the courses and they are crazy prices and more suited to people with some experience and wanting to spend the big £ to take it further.

I've also done full days on the bike with gp and WSB winners and never feet they are really good value.

Your suggestion is similar to how bike days operate, there's always a few guys from the operator out there available for free for guidance and correction sessions and also they keep an eye on the people on track who haven't asked but can use some help and take them aside for it.

And for my needs, being to see what the car is capable of and to improve my skills while not having intentions of going racing or track day crazy.

I think having the instructor in the driving seat would also be worthwhile though, I can think of 2 at least laps where that would help me:

1 lap to show what the car can do in capable hands - as a benchmark/long term goal type thing.

1 lap to show what I should I can aim for as a first timer.

possibly further laps to demo areas for improvement when encountered.

And after seeing what those other guys charge, no problem covering the lunch burger :)

But seriously, it's more like it would be fair to sort you out for something to cover your petrol and time at least.

What is interesting is everyone's differing opinions on what you should do in these situations. It would be nice if there was a right or wrong answer but I suspect it's much more complicated than that.

With the greatest of respect to those saying otherwise, the right answer is to get the clutch down, stop the car spinning and then brake. If you get on the brakes while you are still spinning then as long as they arent locked it wont do any harm.

regarding drifting

if it starts to go beyond point of return, foot on the brake hand brake up and clutch in and keep the steering on full lock it was pointing so more chance to spin on the spot than slide off into a wall

I dont know of any drifter that doesnt let the wheel go on transition, you simply cant move your hands quickly enough from lock to lock if you dont ........ even Clarksons sliding improved considerably when he started letting the wheel move on its own. This can get you out of a mess if you have an unexpected back end slide on track, the quicker you can get to the lockstops the more likely you are to catch it.

As for the second bit, why would you pull the wand, thats just going to rotate you even further and potentially onto wet grass at speed? Get the car straight with the clutch in, then footbrake to a halt, happy days.

Edited by docwra
  • Like 3

Most track days have fully qualified ARDS instructors on hand free of charge, if not for a small fee.

Granted it wont be intense as you will probably only get them for a session and they are more there to help you with lines, braking points etc

I have taken the opportunity a couple of times and it seems if they feel confident will give you a few pointers beyond the above, i managed to get Danny Watts a good few years ago and he was excellent, he gave me loads of confidence in my abilities and the cars, there was a corner where i really thought i was on the limit and he suggested if i felt comfortable i could go faster, next lap i tried what he was suggesting and it felt even better and more in control.

• Like 1

And after seeing what those other guys charge, no problem covering the lunch burger :)

But seriously, it's more like it would be fair to sort you out for something to cover your petrol and time at least.

Nah, I enjoy track days as much as anyone, even just passengering, so I couldn't possibly take anything more than a free lunch as it wouldn't feel right to me. Think of it as a service to a community that's given me plenty over the years more than anything :)

That said, if folks want me there when they're at Laguna Seca I probably will have to ask for contribution towards the air fare at least :lol:

• Like 3

What is interesting is everyone's differing opinions on what you should do in these situations. It would be nice if there was a right or wrong answer but I suspect it's much more complicated than that.

With the greatest of respect to those saying otherwise, the right answer is to get the clutch down, stop the car spinning and then brake. If you get on the brakes while you are still spinning then as long as they arent locked it wont do any harm.

regarding drifting

I dont know of any drifter that doesnt let the wheel go on transition, you simply cant move your hands quickly enough from lock to lock if you dont ........ even Clarksons sliding improved considerably when he started letting the wheel move on its own. This can get you out of a mess if you have an unexpected back end slide on track, the quicker you can get to the lockstops the more likely you are to catch it.

As for the second bit, why would you pull the wand, thats just going to rotate you even further and potentially onto wet grass at speed? Get the car straight with the clutch in, then footbrake to a halt, happy days.

Even in a spin docrwa I'm not on about transitioning I'm on about spinning out

Also your not stupid you telling me all the fd guys when the spin and hold the wand on are doing it wrong?

Edited by StevoD

That said, if folks want me there when they're at Laguna Seca I probably will have to ask for contribution towards the air fare at least :lol:

I am more than happy to do drift tutoring at Laguna Seca as well, in case anyone was wondering ........ :lol:

• Like 2

Most track days have fully qualified ARDS instructors on hand free of charge, if not for a small fee.

I remember when we went to Blyton, IIRC it was my missuses first track day in her MR2. She went out with the instructor and as usual he let her do a lap on her own, when she got to the end they went back into the pits.

After ascertaining that she hadnt ever played Forza or Gran Turismo and this is why she had no idea what the racing lines was :lol: they went back out for a few more laps - by the end of the day she was actually overtaking other cars, the difference was incredible. Tuition is well worth it, even with plenty of track experience if I saw an instructor free Id definitely go out with him :thumbs: