My lack of talent - ie. Spin

Sam Mcgoo

Went to Bedford today for a track day. My first one there and I really enjoyed it. :)

Pretty early in the day, while I was sussing out what was what, I ran out of talent getting on the power a bit early in the corner. I was taken by surprise on how fast it snatched back again and was just a passenger in the end. I was pretty far up the revs in 3rd so was probably doing 75-80mph at the time.

Luckily there was nothing but grass on the exit! It was a shame I did it right next to the pits so EVERYONE saw and heard it ! I was told it was quite impressive from outside though. :dummy:

Anyway here's a little vid.

(Can't seem to find a way to embed the video?)

I'll try and sort out a video of some better bits when I get time, but the camera was a bit crap and everything is pretty shaky so not sure what I can salvage.

• Like 2

You over corrected it Sam. :surrender:

When this happens and you have a big run off area, just take your hands off the

wheel and feet of the pedals and the car will sort itself out. Sounds alien to do it

Just try it. :thumbs:

Easy to write ..... Probably a lot harder to do I suspect !!

:)

• Like 2

I can recommend the car limits driver training day. I went as a foursome (ooer) and learned so much about how to correct this. Steering technique that lets you find the centre line easily, plus sight lines on cornering, and a bunch of stuff about balance and grip. In terms of money spent vs reward it's the best bang for the buck I've had so far - mostly because I've avoided exactly that in the ice over winter by catching and controlling the slides :)

• Like 1

wheel and feet of the pedals and the car will sort itself out. Sounds alien to do it

Nooooo, should of just man moded it and kept the power going when the back end stepped out.

As stated though, it's easy to say, harder to do!

• Like 3

I can recommend the car limits driver training day. I went as a foursome (ooer) and learned so much about how to correct this. Steering technique that lets you find the centre line easily, plus sight lines on cornering, and a bunch of stuff about balance and grip. In terms of money spent vs reward it's the best bang for the buck I've had so far - mostly because I've avoided exactly that in the ice over winter by catching and controlling the slides :)

I also went on this course with the exige- Andy Walsh is a legend. Leant more that day than several years of driving!

Should be everyone's first 'mod' when they buy a high performance rear wheel drive car.

Ya that did snap back pretty quick !! Glad no harm was done though .... Other than your pride that is

Yeah, all was good. Just a bit of grass here and there.

I amazed the camera got that - mine seems to stop working every time I run out of talent (which is quite often)

Glad you and the car survived intact though mate

Wish mine had stopped. :lol: its actually the best bit of camera work I've got !

Just try it.

Yeah I realise I over corrected :lol: I just really wasn't expecting it to be honest. I'm actually quite glad I got it wrong as I ended up on the outside of the corner, where as quite a few end up on the inside (see previous skid marks) and thats not good as there is a gravel trap and a wall. :surrender: see here -

Cheers though, always happy to get advise from experienced drivers. :thumbs:

I can recommend the car limits driver training day. I went as a foursome (ooer) and learned so much about how to correct this. Steering technique that lets you find the centre line easily, plus sight lines on cornering, and a bunch of stuff about balance and grip. In terms of money spent vs reward it's the best bang for the buck I've had so far - mostly because I've avoided exactly that in the ice over winter by catching and controlling the slides

I've heard a lot of good things about them and may well give it a go one day. :thumbs:

I am by no means an expert driver or even an amateur drifter and in reality probably a bit worse that I think I am, but have driven rear wheel drive cars for the last 20 years and controlled a fair few slides over the years, just not at that speed, and as I said above I just really wasn't expecting it. :doh:

This is why Bedford is so great. Could have been quite costly on most circuits!

Also spin potentially caused by white line paint?

Could well have been looking back at the vid as that is when I put my foot down, but to be honest I went through there faster than that later in the day, but just done it in 4th and was more progressive on the throttle.

Just try it.

Nooooo, should of just man moded it and kept the power going when the back end stepped out.

I wish I was a 'Drift King' massive respect to you/them for holding a slide at those sort of speeds!

• Like 1

Ya that did snap back pretty quick !! Glad no harm was done though .... Other than your pride that is

Yeah, all was good. Just a bit of grass here and there.

I amazed the camera got that - mine seems to stop working every time I run out of talent (which is quite often)

Glad you and the car survived intact though mate

Wish mine had stopped. :lol: its actually the best bit of camera work I've got !

Just try it.

Yeah I realise I over corrected :lol: I just really wasn't expecting it to be honest. I'm actually quite glad I got it wrong as I ended up on the outside of the corner, where as quite a few end up on the inside (see previous skid marks) and thats not good as there is a gravel trap and a wall. :surrender: see here -

Cheers though, always happy to get advise from experienced drivers. :thumbs:

I can recommend the car limits driver training day. I went as a foursome (ooer) and learned so much about how to correct this. Steering technique that lets you find the centre line easily, plus sight lines on cornering, and a bunch of stuff about balance and grip. In terms of money spent vs reward it's the best bang for the buck I've had so far - mostly because I've avoided exactly that in the ice over winter by catching and controlling the slides

I've heard a lot of good things about them and may well give it a go one day. :thumbs:

I am by no means an expert driver or even an amateur drifter and in reality probably a bit worse that I think I am, but have driven rear wheel drive cars for the last 20 years and controlled a fair few slides over the years, just not at that speed, and as I said above I just really wasn't expecting it. :doh:

This is why Bedford is so great. Could have been quite costly on most circuits!

Also spin potentially caused by white line paint?

Could well have been looking back at the vid as that is when I put my foot down, but to be honest I went through there faster than that later in the day, but just done it in 4th and was more progressive on the throttle.

Just try it.

I wish I was a 'Drift King' massive respect to you/them for holding a slide at those sort of speeds!

everyone but me :lol:

#teamtarmac

Carbon copy of what happened to me a year or so ago, but i used too much kerb on the entrance to the corner, and I felt it going, and thought I had it, then it snapped back the other way and spat into the infield area facing where I came from. Luckily it spat you that side of the track, and not torwards the pits, like it did a fellow member a few years back in their ginger zed.

• Like 1

Carbon copy of what happened to me a year or so ago, but i used too much kerb on the entrance to the corner, and I felt it going, and thought I had it, then it snapped back the other way and spat into the infield area facing where I came from. Luckily it spat you that side of the track, and not torwards the pits, like it did a fellow member a few years back in their ginger zed.

Seems that's the corner to watch out for then!

Funny I should know as looking back I even commented on the thread :lol:

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/59815-crashed-my-z-badly-advice-please/

http://www.350z-uk.com/index.php?showtopic=59803

Next time on a track day or even on the road , if you get out of shape

instead of wrestling with the steering wheel as if it was an alligator, without

knowing what you are doing, let it go, its designed to go back to the centre position

Also take your feet off the pedals.

Why are you still on the power when your out of control, and braking unless

its in a straight line will just make the situation just worse, and it doesn't matter

what gear our in, its not going to help you just now. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Never do this!

When in a spin, both feet in; i.e. hard on both clutch and brake. You want to be removing speed ASAP as you've lost control of the vehicle, but you also want to keep the engine running.

I didn't see a lot wrong, just one of those things that happens when you're pushing on, especially on that corner. Tbh if you don't spin at least once on track then you're not pushing hard enough ;) You got very lucky though, entering grass near on sideways is the single easiest way to flip a car on trackday.

• Like 3

Never do this!

When in a spin, both feet in; i.e. hard on both clutch and brake. You want to be removing speed ASAP as you've lost control of the vehicle, but you also want to keep the engine running.

I didn't see a lot wrong, just one of those things that happens when you're pushing on, especially on that corner. Tbh if you don't spin at least once on track then you're not pushing hard enough ;) You got very lucky though, entering grass near on sideways is the single easiest way to flip a car on trackday.

If you keep your foot jammed on the brake you will go straight to the scene of the accident

as you have no steering. :scare:

If you keep your foot jammed on the brake you will go straight to the scene of the accident

as you have no steering. :scare:

Unless you have ABS. Or know how to brake.

Your point is only valid if you lock the front brakes; which is different to jamming your foot on the brake pedal in many, many cases.