Crashed my Z!! Badly!! Advice please?

SteveJJH

Absolutley gutted

I crashed at Bedford Autodrome yesterday (on my birthday) and have seriously damaged the Z

the garage it is at have said that it's about £4k worth of damage (from what they've seen so far)

it's an '04 plate that was mint with 62k miles on the clock.

not really sure what to do.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for those trying to guess how i did it, the rear came round out of the last corner and just kept coming. i was steering into it but it just didn't stop. as soon as my front tyres hit the grass i knew i was done for (i actually videoed it, you can hear me swear at this point)

the gravel trap hardly slowed me down at all and i hit the armco square on. forwards momentum carried me the further 90 degrees and i ended up facing the queue waiting to go out on track.

glad i didn't hurt any one, but generally gutted. i was only ever going to do Bedford as it's so difficult to seriously damage your car.

apparently no-ones ever hit that barrier before, let alone gone through it. complete freak accident.

for those trying to guess how i did it, the rear came round out of the last corner and just kept coming. i was steering into it but it just didn't stop. as soon as my front tyres hit the grass i knew i was done for (i actually videoed it, you can hear me swear at this point)

the gravel trap hardly slowed me down at all and i hit the armco square on. forwards momentum carried me the further 90 degrees and i ended up facing the queue waiting to go out on track.

glad i didn't hurt any one, but generally gutted. i was only ever going to do Bedford as it's so difficult to seriously damage your car.

apparently no-ones ever hit that barrier before, let alone gone through it. complete freak accident.

I wouldnt let it put you off track. Just need to learn the cars limits. I've yet to lose the back completely on track mainly because I try not to push outwith my comfort zone too much. The key to track driving is to drive within your own ability.

I've posted up rough prices on your other thread with regards to parts.

Did the airbags deploy? Any damage to the crash cans which the front metal bump bar fits onto.

Maybe get one of the mods to condense all your threads to keep it simplified for you so your not looking all over the place for stuff.

my garage are telling me one of the most expensive bits to replace is the lights. does this ring true?

read your other thread

I cant stress enough for you to contact ZMANALEX on here. You'll be pleasantly surprised how little you may need to spend

yeah, actually condensing the threads would be good. i didn't realise i'd get such quick responses.

i think there may have been something up, like i'd melted the tyres or something, i'd been absolutely fine through that corner all day but that time seemed to have way less rear grip and couldn't save it

i've watched the video back a bunch of times now and i actually drifted (only slightly) through the previous 3 corners

it was the first session after lunch on a mega hot day

the side curtain and seat airbags went off on my side, but not any of the front ones. i don't think anything underneath is bent and so far i don't think the engine has lost any fluid. i might head over to the garage tomorrow and have a look if the crash cans are bent.

what should i be looking out for in terms of "if that bit's broken you might as well scrap it" type damage?

yeah, actually condensing the threads would be good. i didn't realise i'd get such quick responses.

i think there may have been something up, like i'd melted the tyres or something, i'd been absolutely fine through that corner all day but that time seemed to have way less rear grip and couldn't save it

i've watched the video back a bunch of times now and i actually drifted (only slightly) through the previous 3 corners

it was the first session after lunch on a mega hot day

the side curtain and seat airbags went off on my side, but not any of the front ones. i don't think anything underneath is bent and so far i don't think the engine has lost any fluid. i might head over to the garage tomorrow and have a look if the crash cans are bent.

what should i be looking out for in terms of "if that bit's broken you might as well scrap it" type damage?

Crash cans are expensive to replace, You should be able to pick up a seats and other airbags at a reasonable price but i'm not sure on the work involved in resetting sensors etc. A decent set of seats with bags are about 300 quid second hand or just replace with aftermarket buckets with no bags. I would get it on a jig and see if the chassis is bent. That would mean a big bill to repair and in that event you are probably better buying another and stripping that one for parts.

If you go to the garage get loads of pictures and post them up on here and we can all look for you. The garage should be able to give you a rough list. You would need to check all suspension components also

Providing the front chassis legs are not twisted then it should not be to serious a fix.

New crash cans are £75.00 each and new carbon composite front panels are £150.00.

Best to get a comprehensive list of all parts required and price up to establish how economical a repair it will actually be.

To keep costs down most parts will be available preowned.

Alex :)

Good work, even after reading your explanation I still cant figure out how you did it :lol:;)

Main thing is you are OK. I found after I smashed my one that aftermarket wings and bumpers were cheaper than even breaker items, the lights are a killer though. Ill see if I can tap up a couple of drifters for a bumper bar and stuff, washer reservoirs can be difficult to get hold of too but Ive got a spare here you can have for nothing :)

Put Zmanalex's number in your phone, you are going to need it ;)

If its the proving ground that clarkson and top gear uses, I was told i could not have my cctv in the car.

Might be something to do with capturing other people or secret car missions ie Top gear/ 5th gear.

Suggest you put one descretely in the grill. But in your case it would have got smashed.

As long as the engine radiator and the bumper bar is ok the rest should not be that hard.

CCTV l know about as I have 2 cameras in my car with microphone activation. Full HD.

Smashed vehicles not a dam thing thing:)

If the airbags went off or the seat belt tesioners and air bag module needs resetting.

Then PM me or have a word with Abbey as they have the contact.

Hope it works out for you and you dont get no nasty comments.

B)

Sorry mate about your crash. These things happen and you will never be able to completely explain it. The best you can ever do is to keep your vehicle in top shape with good parts eg tyres brakes fliuds and most of all continually improve your skill because no one is perfect and there is always room for improvement.

As other have already mentioned get the car on a jig or fully assessed with a comprehensive parts list if its worth repairing and i am sure you will be able to get parts from traders here and also forum members who have various bits and bobs lying around after upgrtading their cars.

Given the age of the car i would take th money from insurance assuming it was insured and get a replacement zed because unless you are skilled to do most of the work you may save yourself 50-60% of good garage quote but you end up with a car with little value or that you have little confidence in.

Good luck with everything.

completely not insured unfortunately

yeah, way to go with the keeping it subtle, ending up in the pit lane on a track day with 100 petrol heads there, the camera phones were out before i was even out of the car

if i can upgrade (carbon? really?) for the same money i would feel much better about repairing

i wouldn't ever be able to sell it to a private buyer without being completely honest about it's past, so that's gonna drop the value

how much is it worth as it is? i would be heartbroken, but the best thing for me financially would be to get a decent price as is

completely not insured unfortunately

yeah, way to go with the keeping it subtle, ending up in the pit lane on a track day with 100 petrol heads there, the camera phones were out before i was even out of the car

if i can upgrade (carbon? really?) for the same money i would feel much better about repairing

i wouldn't ever be able to sell it to a private buyer without being completely honest about it's past, so that's gonna drop the value

how much is it worth as it is? i would be heartbroken, but the best thing for me financially would be to get a decent price as is

Fix it cheaply and use it for a track monster. Search ebay for goki wings, doors etc.. I seen a car @japfest with this stuff and it looked pretty cool