Crashed my Z!! Badly!! Advice please?

SteveJJH

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and with a little bit of hindsight what I should have done is tried to get the car to snap over to the outside of the corner and run off the track there, there's about 200 meters of run off. Bedford, the safest track in the country

Anyway, as an update I went to see the car at the garage yesterday and mentioned the tyre issue, without for a moment talking about any liability or things that would cause the crash, they went a bit quiet and kinda disappeared into a back room. I left it as "we'll talk on Wednesday"

One of the guys reckoned at least one of the lights is saveable, which I think brings the car firmly into repair territory

I cant add much here but I'd like to say previously I had a Renaultsport Clio 197. I got a puncture one day and had to use the foam stuff. This obviously means a new tyre. Not a problem. On my way to work I went in got a new tyre paid and left with out checking.. I noticed that the car was handling shite on my way to the customers site.

I got out when I arrived on site and checked the tyres.. they had replaced the right rear instead of the front right.. I phoned them and they told me to come straight back.. I had been doing 60-70mph on a backroad.. your not suppose to exceed 25mph with that foam in the tyre on a straight road never mind doing 60-70 on a twist country road!!

Anyway a few weeks later I heard the tyre fitted had been fired as the job sheet said front right instead of rear right.. I thought it was a bit much but lets face it - I could have died when on that back road if the tyre let go..

what did it teach me? Always check the work carried out no matter what.

Sorry you're having a few issues mate but good luck.

I've just got back from a Javelin trackday at Bedford in my Z (ironically a ginger).

Having followed this with interest I was intrigued to see what the conditions were like on this corner. More than any other corner I noticed a lot of tyre marks on the exit and the tarmac is definitely darker which led me to believe it's been resurfaced recently. I spoke to a marshall who confirmed this.

As the morning session went on I began to build speed and find grip in the corners. Have a guess which corner I then had a tail out brown trouser moment on? Thankfully I eased off and some counter steer brought it under control just fine but I was amazed how little grip there was on the exit when naturally you're straightening up and powering out of the corner. It leads you into a false sense of security. After this I realised you just need to be a little later on the power coming out of the corner than most.

Incidentally there were plenty of other cars struggling on this corner with a couple of 'offs as well towards the outside.

To the OP - I hope things are progressing well and you manage to get her back on the road soon.

Interesting what you say Jables about your experience as I had my suspicions about the re-surface and noticing the recent 'off' tyre marks at the corner and posted up to that effect given it was a hot day with increasing useage the thought that oils were seeping to the surface was a factor.

But then edited it when the delamination + tyre size issue was coming to the fore that semed to be more relevant, but we might never know to be sure............... :shrug:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=62278&p=894974#p894974

OK, here's an update.

I'm pretty sure we can rule out tyre delamination. The tyre with the missing tread isn't the 225 backwards on the right, it's the front right in the correct position on the correct rim. The chunk of missing tread looks like it has been torn off by a bent piece of the front of the car.

The melted track thing interests me. I was one of the first cars out after an hour long lunch break on what can probably be described as the only properly hot day this year so far. The fact that they resurfaced is intriguing.

Sad fact is I crashed. I can try and blame it on a lot of things. It would be nice to know an exact cause so I can make sure it won't happen again, but as is always with these things, there are a lot of variables and they all start interacting very quickly as it goes wrong. If I ever do a track day again I will certainly be making sure I try and remove as many of them as possible.

I've got a preliminary shopping list of parts. I will be contacting ZMANALEX to get his opinion, but any tips on places to get parts are appreciated. Especially lights, bonnet and bumper.

I've got a preliminary shopping list of parts. I will be contacting ZMANALEX to get his opinion, but any tips on places to get parts are appreciated. Especially lights, bonnet and bumper.

I don't think anyone will beat Alex on price TBH :#1:

• 2 weeks later...

The labour plus the paint plus just the big bits that need replacing put it waaay out for me, and I really don't want to get into a situation where it spirals into a bigger and bigger bill as more things are discovered

All I can do is try to sell it as it is and move on, unfortunately it seems what I can get for it won't even cover the brakes and tyres I've just put on it

The labour plus the paint plus just the big bits that need replacing put it waaay out for me, and I really don't want to get into a situation where it spirals into a bigger and bigger bill as more things are discovered

All I can do is try to sell it as it is and move on, unfortunately it seems what I can get for it won't even cover the brakes and tyres I've just put on it

Part it out?