Crashed my Z!! Badly!! Advice please?

SteveJJH

I don't think it would have been a blowout. Here's a catastrophic one I had on a rear tyre a few years ago. Big bang and the car becomes a missile which is hard to control and mine was in a straight line at no more than 60 mph. A slow puncture is a possibility though. Having watched the video a few times there's no evidence of anything other than a touch of oversteer really, no violent swaying, no apparent loss of grip, just goes straight on :shrug:

Hope you get it sorted.

P7101956.jpg

Pete

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it would have been a blowout. Here's a catastrophic one I had on a rear tyre a few years ago. Big bang and the car becomes a missile which is hard to control and mine was in a straight line at no more than 60 mph. A slow puncture is a possibility though. Having watched the video a few times there's no evidence of anything other than a touch of oversteer really, no violent swaying, no apparent loss of grip, just goes straight on :shrug:

Hope you get it sorted.

Pete

I suggest you look at his photobucket account, the centre section of the tyre has separated from the sides, i.e. the tyre grooves to the outside. That is not a slow puncture.

Here's the picture i was talking about

Picture792.jpg

yeah, actually condensing the threads would be good. i didn't realise i'd get such quick responses.

i think there may have been something up, like i'd melted the tyres or something, i'd been absolutely fine through that corner all day but that time seemed to have way less rear grip and couldn't save it

i've watched the video back a bunch of times now and i actually drifted (only slightly) through the previous 3 corners

it was the first session after lunch on a mega hot day

the side curtain and seat airbags went off on my side, but not any of the front ones. i don't think anything underneath is bent and so far i don't think the engine has lost any fluid. i might head over to the garage tomorrow and have a look if the crash cans are bent.

what should i be looking out for in terms of "if that bit's broken you might as well scrap it" type damage?

Just looked a the video. Ouch - feel for you.

Very similar to an off I had last year at Keevil trying to take a long right-hander without lifting, 100mph approach, 75-80mph at the apex? I had done the corner 30 times already that day but this time pushed a little harder, and, well you know what happens next.

Luckily all I landed up in was a field.

The bit about you drifting (but not being aware at the time) is so true. Earlier in the day at Keevil a guy who had been chasing me in an M3 literally ran up to me laughing saying how sideways I was getting. I was hardly aware of this inside the car and I think you weren't either until the rears said "I give up"

Hope it mends for not too much.

I suggest you look at his photobucket account, the centre section of the tyre has separated from the sides, i.e. the tyre grooves to the outside. That is not a slow puncture.

Picture792.jpg

Right, I hadn't seen that before .That's a partial delamination, a classic symptom of an overheated tyre.

Delamination is the process where the tyre through various possible reasons separates into its component parts. Running for a considerable time in an underinflated or overloaded condition is the single largest cause of tyre delamination. The most common example is seen on the side of the motorways in the UK where you can see the tread sections of both truck and car tyres on the hard shoulder.

This is usually due the tyre suffering a slow deflation and the losing pressure until the volume of air inside the tyre is insufficient to carry the loads and stresses placed upon it. As the tyre pressure drops the build up of heat within the casing leads to delamination and the component parts separate.

Pete

Out of interest what are your tyre sizes? That front nearside tyre looks like it has a larger sidewall than the rears :wacko:

*edit* from the close up of the tyres it looks like 245/45/18 on the fronts and 225/45/18 on the back!!! :headhurt:

Right, I hadn't seen that before .That's a partial delamination, a classic symptom of an overheated tyre.

Pete

Which is why I was asking about tyre pressures before the start of the day :thumbs:

Strange though, because I know my ps2's overheated on the m3 by a fair bit and big chunks of rubber were coming off, guess it depends on the compound and how even the heat is.

I did learn from that not to reduce the tyre pressure at the beginning of the day, even though tracking adds a fair amount of pressure to it.

A whole car for 99p. wow thats a bargain!

:bangin:

Did you even read the ad? It said it was a classified for a car being broken. Still good for the OP to ask them for a quote on the parts he needs event with our traders ;)

Picture792.jpg

Considering the way the accident happened, after the spin that edge of the tyre would be pushed in to the tyre not ripped off it. Perhaps this happened before the accident and was the cause?

I'd be a little worried of Vreds if the above was correct, it's enough to wipe them off my choice list anyway just as a precaution.

Haydn.

Im annoyed, I cant find any pictures of me shooting sparks from my tyres but its not unusual, you arent doing it right unless you blow a tyre :D

Heres my good friend Lex doing the same at Santa Pod though:

BC1_0234_copy.sized.jpg

To be fair, there's less to hit at santa pod :p

Considering the way the accident happened, after the spin that edge of the tyre would be pushed in to the tyre not ripped off it. Perhaps this happened before the accident and was the cause?

I'd be a little worried of Vreds if the above was correct, it's enough to wipe them off my choice list anyway just as a precaution.

Haydn.

I'm guessing, if you get any tyre hot enough there's a chance of that happening.

I mean, I thought you needed to keep your eyes on tyre temperatures at the track? Very unlikely to have happened on the street i'd also have thought?

Further on from my previous post there is definetly issues with your tyre sizes.

Ive looked closely are your photos and it appears this offside front tyre is a 225/45/18 (you have to look very closely)

Picture773.jpg

The nearside front is a 245/45/18 (again, look closely, although the tyre is noticably bigger)

Picture774.jpg

Nearside Rear 2??/45/18 (Cannot see the size)

Picture777.jpg

Offside Rear 225/45/18 (The knackered one)

Picture772.jpg

Wheels accidentally swapped round when having the tyres changed?

I can't read the tyre sizes on this monitor to confirm, however, they'd have to have removed the bolt on the front wheels to mix the full wheels. Maybe they thought all the wheels were all the same, realized the front's wouldn't fit with the bolt in place and just put them the wrong way around to save time. If that's the case, how long ago were the tyres purchased and could there be a claim against the fitter?

I can't read the tyre sizes on this monitor to confirm, however, they'd have to have removed the bolt on the front wheels to mix the full wheels. Maybe they thought all the wheels were all the same, realized the front's wouldn't fit with the bolt in place and just put them the wrong way around to save time. If that's the case, how long ago were the tyres purchased and could there be a claim against the fitter?

If its got spacers the bolt would have been taken off perhaps?

If its got spacers the bolt would have been taken off perhaps?

He’s got aftermarket discs, so the bolt was probably left on the old discs and not transferred to the new discs… :)