The Torque Monster - My New 335D

Svothe

I thought I'd start a little thread just because I miss the friendliness of people on this forum.

After some internal argument and external argument with family between getting a 350z and suffering for fuel on my 60 mile commute each day or getting a diesel @*!# box and being bored the whole time I decided on a reasonably inbetween car. Picked up this, Its a BMW 335D so the 3 litre twinturbo diesel engien. I bought the car about 3 weeks ago, 335D SE, 68K Miles, FSH, Black with Red leather interior. Car was in pretty good condition and I was pretty happy with the buy after the trouble I went through with buying the first only to have it crashed by the valeter before I even picked it up! Anyway the new car was already fitted with a superchips remap so it was pretty nippy coming from a remapped 188bhp A3 to this sitting at around the 335bhp and 510ftlbs mark. Plus driving to work each day I'm averaging about 39-41mpg and thats not driving slowly. [END STATEMENTS REDACTED TO ALLOW PEOPLES EMOTIONAL TRAUMA TO SUBSIDE.]

Anyway here goes, DAY 1:

10700181_10204408021579169_6905108255022618301_o.jpg

10428379_10204408031659421_6096332628421739911_o.jpg

Woke up today (14/12/2014) and got the bucket and sponge out and gave the car its first proper clean since I've bought it. Didn't get the opportunity to do a proper polish but got all the salt off and did a quick spray on detail to try and get a bit of shine out of the paint. I'm pretty happy with the results for a 30 min wash.

1509857_10204551363202620_7024419547578700162_n.jpg?oh=163e49a2e66fb7489c1b877ad8fbc600&oe=55138FF6&__gda__=1430286799_fce85f0d561a9aee86d3402419424ac0

10289798_10204551364002640_4724966077103314137_n.jpg?oh=cd366f743df87e974d7b6507265b62d2&oe=5500DB38&__gda__=1430417501_8b399817d620edbeb4b0628aaa5877ed

Then proceeded to go and find a moody background and take a nice little snap for facebook xD

535936_10204551939737033_1133001767714354004_n.jpg?oh=5e5303dc5c7f9addc8a76774d7e005ae&oe=54FF0E2A

12912_10204551939097017_1913343814467922778_n.jpg?oh=4f23421a12e61a9997d4ad8991550532&oe=55042A31&__gda__=1427339788_aaa9a06c8175bdb75790c64e0602b7b6

Edited by Svothe
  • Like 1

I'm sure all of you sports car owners stick entirely to the speed limits all the time. To be fair my office is at a race track and we do have a lot of private roads there, and one **** off run way. Infact one of the longest run ways outside of Heathrow but that's not really relevant. Not telling the story isn't going to mean that it hasn't happened. I apologise profusely if my short tale of putting my foot down has offended the mighty senior car people. I'll be sure not to tell similar stories of excessive speeds in the future, However, the thread is really here to discuss the car not the way in which its being driven.

Edited by Svothe

I'm sure all of you sports car owners stick entirely to the speed limits all the time.

You completely miss the point of the comments made by members.

This is a PUBLIC forum. All information is public and registration is not required to access it. As such, any authorities who wish to garner information on a driver can do so.

Just ask Pistonheads member Ten Pence Short how it worked out for him.

The Team who run this forum also have a duty of care to promote safe and sensible driving within the law. Simply put, stating "we all break speed limits in a sports car" is not a get outta jail free card.

Even if you had been a member here for years and owned a Z33 or Z34 you would still get stick for making such comments.

• Like 3

and if someone were to investigate my actions I could politely inform them that I work at a disused runway and we regularly are allowed to take our cars onto the runway for entertainment purposes and my friend with his black convertible e46 M3 who also works with me is also allowed to. I'm not sure what other proof they could have to go against that. Honestly do I sometimes exceed the speed limit in my car. Probably, however find me somebody who doesn't. Hell I could point out three or four local police officers who all come out on motorbikes on a sunday morning with our bike club and have done very interesting speeds.

I've redacted that statement from my initial post. If people would like to discuss cars that's all good with me. If people want to sit there in there I never go above 30 bubble they're welcome too. But lets be honest, you don't and even if you did you voicing your thoughts isn't going to stop anybody driving the way they do. For the record, I get a much better buzz from driving nice tight winding roads than I do sitting there going flat out like a silly buggar and not just for the challenge, but yes because I'm a lot less likely to get in trouble for doing so.

The other thing about racing people is that everyone has different abilities & skill levels not to mention fear levels so it doesn't necessarily mean your cars the fastest or best performing.

I mean I'm also guessing it was just a straight line race? Add in some proper corners & that guy in his M3 could have possibly pi**ed all over your diesel.

Also change drivers and again you might not have even got close to that M3 at all. Who know's. :shrug:

Best place for it though is on a track day or the drag strip, ...then you can boast to your hearts content how your diesel beats performance petrol motors with all it's torque & still does 50MPG. :lol:

No offence intended and the BM does look good btw. ;)

and if someone were to investigate my actions I could politely inform them that I work at a disused runway and we regularly are allowed to take our cars onto the runway for entertainment purposes and my friend with his black convertible e46 M3 who also works with me is also allowed to. I'm not sure what other proof they could have to go against that. Honestly do I sometimes exceed the speed limit in my car. Probably, however find me somebody who doesn't. Hell I could point out three or four local police officers who all come out on motorbikes on a sunday morning with our bike club and have done very interesting speeds.

I've redacted that statement from my initial post. If people would like to discuss cars that's all good with me. If people want to sit there in there I never go above 30 bubble they're welcome too. But lets be honest, you don't and even if you did you voicing your thoughts isn't going to stop anybody driving the way they do. For the record, I get a much better buzz from driving nice tight winding roads than I do sitting there going flat out like a silly buggar and not just for the challenge, but yes because I'm a lot less likely to get in trouble for doing so.

Once again you completely miss the point.

Enjoy the Beemer. Do try to remember where the indicator stalk is :thumbs:

• Like 2

I heard Mr tran is still waitin on Sr20 engines for his civics

Yeah, but they just in the other warehouse.

But the real killer is the MoTec exhaust

Yea but what really he needs is Nos the big ones in fact make it two

Edited by StevoD

The other thing about racing people is that everyone has different abilities & skill levels not to mention fear levels so it doesn't necessarily mean your cars the fastest or best performing.

I mean I'm also guessing it was just a straight line race? Add in some proper corners & that guy in his M3 could have possibly pi**ed all over your diesel.

Also change drivers and again you might not have even got close to that M3 at all. Who know's. :shrug:

Best place for it though is on a track day or the drag strip, ...then you can boast to your hearts content how your diesel beats performance petrol motors with all it's torque & still does 50MPG. :lol:

No offence intended and the BM does look good btw. ;)

Yeah that was a straight line drag, I don't doubt the M3 would give it a good kicking round the bends. Going out in my pals M3 the cornering is phenomenal. We have a cheap track day sorted this spring so should be interesting to have a play in the BM though and see what its like without having to worry about what's on the other side of the road. Very much looking forward too it. Also guys don't think I'm sitting here saying whoop. Its the best car ever produced. Don't get me wrong I think the engine in the 335d is absolutely fantastic,but its never going to compete with a serious performance car round the bends or on track without a lot of work. But that isn't really what the car is designed to do. Its a big comfy autobahn cruiser for sitting there at 100 and something mph and still getting decent mpg and plenty of tug when you put your foot down. Would I still love a zed? Hell Yeah, especially to throw around on a sunday morning but am I happy with the compromise from the BM. Absolutely, as an every day car I don't think I could have done much better. Good mpg, an involving drive and plenty of power to enjoy when you have too. But for me really, its nice being able to sit there mon-fri at 70mph with the cruise on in absolute comfort and then when it comes to sat and sunday morning meet up with my pals in there proper performance cars and still enjoy a spirited drive and I think really thats what this car is about.

Edited by Svothe