Girlfriend wants an upgrade

chirag1988

So my girlfriend has recently gained chartered status in marketing and as a result she's been promoted at work and got a decent pay rise. So she's looking to treat herself to an upgrade on her motor.

She currently drives a BMW 118d 55 plate which she'll have owned for two years in Feb. She drives around 60 miles round trip each day to work.

Now she quite likes her 1 series and was looking at just getting a newer one, but I suggested looking at other options as the interior on a later model will be very similar and if she wants something different then look at other comparable cars.

So next on her list is the Audi TT 2.0 TDI. Personally I quite like it. The car looks sportier and suits her quite nicely and seems like a definite upgrade over her current car. Also it would be good on fuel too with the mileage she does.

Her budget is 10k including the proceeds she would get from her current car.

Now we've seen a few 08 models on autotrader with around 80k mileage and they look like tidy examples for the money. Going to try to arrange a test drive at Audi on Thursday if they have one available.

Is there anything in particular I need to look out for with these cars? Any specific checks? History of the car? Common problems?

Thanks in advance :)

If you are asking about an Audi might be better off having a flick through their associated forums?

I agree as per the above with a 2 x Zed household ! you could interchange mods !

My mate has the 3.2 v6 TT, Audis are nice but I am bias :lol:

Just bare in mind the TT may as well be a 2 seater, the back seat couldn't seat anyone but a child comfortably. Had to sit in the back once when had to unexpecatably pick up someone going to football who sadly was taller than me! Horrible.

I've had one - liked it - no problems in 3 years of ownership - sticks to the road like glue - not good at "higher" speeds :blush: - if you drive it, you WILL get called a "hairdresser" :yawn:

bottom line, would I have another one - yes I would :thumbs:

Had a TT tdi as a hire car. Couldn't fault it, although it isn't an exciting car to drive. Really well made and felt absolutely solid with some decent poke. MPG isn't amazing for a Derv, so petrol without the quattro may be a better alternative?

Yeah she's not one to drive at high speeds, nor is she too fussed about power (that's more my area lol) but she wants something nicer and this definitely seems to fit the bill. Hopefully we'll have a better idea after Thursday. Main thing I want for her is something reliable and solid and I can't say I've heard many bad things about the TT in that department

Edited by chirag1988

My mate just got his wife a TT - it leaks (passenger side carpet is always wet) and apparently that's common - could be only on earlier models :shrug:

Worth a quick Google though just to be sure :)

Edited by Keyser

My mate just got his wife a TT - it leaks (passenger side carpet is always wet) and apparently that's common - could be only on earlier models :shrug:

Is it a convertible or hard top? What year is it? We're looking at 08 hardtop models at the moment

The wife leaks or the car :p

• Like 2

Is it a convertible or hard top? What year is it? We're looking at 08 hardtop models at the moment

54 plate hard top. from what Lee says (above) you will be OK on the newer shape post 06 :) Thought I would mention it though, it's being a right PITA for him.

@Humpy - Maybe it is his wife and he is looking for the fault in the wrong place :shrug:

Thanks for all the input guys - with regards to the other alternatives, as great as they sound, she'd prefer a diesel due to the mileage she does. Also the distance from mine to hers is around 22 miles between Harrow and Barkingside and most of that is A406 and A41 (when there isn't traffic!). I'll speak to her about the others that have been mentioned on here.

I've booked a test drive with Audi in Watford on Thursday now so we'll see how that goes and take it from there :)

Mpg on a derv TT is absolutely nothing like the quoted figures. I struggled to get 35mpg just pottering.

Wish I'd got the 2.0 petrol which is supposed to be a far better car and not too dissimilar on MPG.

It was a decent enough motor but I had a lot of warranty claims

Ahhh, sorry, missed the 10K bit - you can still get an SLK for that but not a diesel one :(

If it has to be diesel, a bit sporty and interesting and shes already had a 1 series there not much else out there, good luck though :thumbs:

Oooh, how about a Brera diesel?