iPad Mini Install (OBDII Dash Command!!) Page 10

Wasso

Update from the weekend:

Sanded down the gear surround to flatten out any imperfections. Re-sprayed with the high build primer and sanded once more for the final coat of high build.

Sanded down the upper central dash. First off taking out the triple gauge hoods. A coat of high build, sand and a further coat of high build.

9DD61B9F-D57C-4DD0-AE6E-7970BF98E9A6_zpswqbzsdk8.jpg

C26083AE-BCD3-46DB-9A05-85D9DB6C776F_zpsnuwkxssk.jpg

Next few stages:

Sand final high build with 1200 grit for a super smooth base.

Fit the upper and lower dash into the car, inserting the ipad section between the upper and lower dash sections.

Bond with 2 part epoxy glue, also glueing the join between the upper and lower dash.

Leave to set, remove central dash and reinforce the joins. (From here the central dash becomes one unit.

Fill gaps around the ipad mounting plate, and /or in any other areas. High build prime areas that will be painted.

Drill holes into the iPad mount so that fixing the dash to its oem mounting points is possible. The iPad mount will have some suede behind the iPad itself, covering any mounting holes.

Spray the entire dash gloss black. If this results in imperfections then I will probably go ahead with the Carbon Skinning. Ultimately I want a perfect finish. If the gloss works I'll be happy.

Next weekend for further instalments :thumbs:

• Like 4

Good call. Not yet, but there's a fair amount of room behind there. The White box sits far enough back so should clear.

If anything doesn't clear or is touching I've got a dremel and I'll just go to town on the bits that get in my way :lol:

I'm likely to encounter a problem or two, but will need to create some custom fixings to accommodate the change in layout.

We shall soon see at the next stage :lol:

Edited by Wasso

Me too, but I've enjoyed it :blush: something I've never done before and learnt some skills along the way.

The dials have come down about 4cm and the Hazard switch about 1cm.

The hazard switch should be fine as there's the Alu surround that will be in place, which will also need some fine tuning.

There's always a way to fix these things, a dremel and a hammer! :lol:

If anything I'm more worried about making the two central pieces into one. Some serious bonding and reinforcement required. I've got some ABS plastic on hand to heat and melt to form greater strength inside of the central section.

Good day to you all.....

Today was the inaugural moment to test fit the dash!!

Took out the stereo, and all heater controls and fitted to the new custom made dash. Fitment is pretty good. I've got a bit of work to do with the heater control box, as it's now rubbing on some plastic stability parts inside the dash. Shouldn't cause a problem as it's only for internal rigidity which isn't needed with the iPad dash.

Here is the dash without the iPad installed.

BB3D0D2D-3FAC-41A9-A005-1DE8DE5A95AC_zpsltnypnch.jpg

C3CBAC3C-BE23-4DF7-84F5-C02D9FDD2B2B_zps5i9oy0ct.jpg

Then testing the iPad holder in it's location, which hasn't been cut to size or modified and it's not far from being perfect.

7D577A8C-AFDA-4A3B-A583-3E57132A3B82_zpsbm19sqrr.jpg

98AB3C9C-ED0F-49CB-AEB2-31365FEC3333_zpsvwglve1n.jpg

Then with the iPad on, just for the effect.

542297D7-8934-4A13-944A-B8B2542952C9_zpssmnxurri.jpg

6E6155E1-13B7-430A-A7CD-87472C39C4D4_zps4r0co52o.jpg

Next stage is to adjust the areas inside the dash which are rubbing against heater controls. The white box behind is miles away from the controls which I'm really pleased about.

Then rub down the area in which the iPad holder will reside ready for fitment. Once fitted it will be bonded in place, as well as the upper and lower dash, which will be bonded to make one unit. I've checked the two screws which hold the middle of the dash to the car, and they are hidden behind the iPad holder, which was planned. So I'll drill two holes in the holder for access to securing the dash to the car.

Then, reinforce the dash now that it's a single unit. Next stage is to fine tune the holder in the dash, with filler, sanding, priming and then painting.

:)

• Like 4

Well, it's multipurpose.

Music (Digital)

Videos (whilst stopped of course)

SatNav with live traffic

Dash Command for engine monitoring etc

Telephone Handsfree (ios8 update connects to your iPhone)

Additional benefits

Email

Angry Birds

Holiday photos

Dirty movies

Text

Whatsapp

:lol:

To be fair the V8 will have two modes. Chill out cruise and all out fun. For the times I'm chilling I've got all the luxuries and more whilst arm on door and cruising along.

Well, it would be something worth getting involved with, but Soundman in the US has a patent pending on the design I believe. Not sure if that would cause ossues in producing a ipad kit.

Secondly as Apple change their designs so often I'd not be able to keep up. The cost to create a mould and be able to move with the Apple changes would cost a fair amount to keep going with it.

If I had more time I'd go for it. Spacers and projects take up the majority of my spare time.

Update later today hopefully of the ipad fitted and bonded :thumbs:

• Like 1

Cheers Andy, it's getting close now. Tricky stages ahead now that will affect the final finish, so I need to take additional care to make sure it's a one time fit. Making repairs at this stage will be difficult.

Just caught up on this - looking good mate :thumbs:

If you give it a coat of bright Green paint it will look nearly as good as the dash I did :p:lol:

Cheers Chris, getting there :)

Remember Blue and Green should never be seen!

awesome work m8

Cheers Bob :thumbs:

Sunday Update:

None apart from I glued the upper and lower sections together and the bond/dry time is 12hrs. So that's the end of that for today lol.

Tomorrow I'll update more........ Working from home ;)