iPad Mini Install (OBDII Dash Command!!) Page 10

Wasso

Lossless audio is wasted in a car, unless you've gone to some extreme lengths or own a Rolls Royce.

Total crap, if you can't tell the difference then you must be deaf :lol:

If all you do is listen to MP3 all day then stick a CD in and hear how good it sounds :band:

Does help if you have a decent sound system, I never bothered when I had the stock Bose I have to admit

I wish I could hear my stereo in the car. Buddy club system is going up for sale shortly though.

The exact reason I'll be fitting an exhaust control valve, so that I can flip between aggressive and quiet.

Another weekend update.

The top and bottom sections are now "as one" to allow me fitment of the ipad.

So some sanding and strengthening, then the insertion of the ipad. Which was then bonded to the dash section.

612F2743-3B4C-4D8F-A716-8C8FF6DC8205_zps2ps4dgxf.jpg

DAC5CE81-3ACB-4A41-81BB-D8E8C1BA1AD8_zpsw5ziwtal.jpg

5AA87396-6A89-446A-80F3-C9BC646E9331_zpswkb7pk2n.jpg

So we are on a raw state which now needs some filling and shaping. You may wonder why the wire for charging and sound has been hacked out the side. Basically I chose to place the iPad lower down I've now got an issue with the cable, it's no big deal as it's going to be painted black and concealed the best way I can behind the dash.

Next is filling and shaping.

257D00F7-69EE-4696-BD34-2656A616338F_zpsllxlcsva.jpg

C517D3E5-0884-4D1B-BE38-EBD4588A73F1_zpsd3bmo7ff.jpg

43ECA988-4271-4A33-918C-1BAC208A6AAE_zpsl8b4lxid.jpg

Still more work to do, such as fine filler and more shaping. But this is getting real close now, the final base coats and the beginning of the final gloss black finish. There's also some fine tune fitment needed for OEM parts such as hazard light switch and AC controls.

I'd say two or three weekends and it will be final pics.

Edited by Wasso

You can get a 90 degree "modified" adapter from Soundman, but I wasn't prepared to pay the price he charges. That pic I've read his thread on the dock etc. I was going to go for it but I'm kinda getting impatient now and want IT done, so it's going to be a bit of a bodge with the wire. See how it is, if I hate it then I'll eother go for the dock like you've exampled or go for the Soundman modified adapter.

I'm hoping the limelight will detract away from the cable but I'll do everything I can to conceal it.

I'm only saying that you done so much hard work this far, it would be a shame to have a small yet important detail spoil the overall look of it.

I'm sure Soundman will demand a premium, but I am sure if you trawl the Internet & eBay for components and brush up on your soldering skills, it will be the satisfying final touch

Or something like this

A6601A74-E2A8-4BEE-8B9D-8DFB37C1F5B9_zpswuynvbtv.jpg

Yup that's the Soundman custom one. Thing is, his one doesn't charge the iPad. So I thought I'd have a bash.

I see what ya saying and 100% agree but I may have a little trick up my sleeve to conceal it, which is the knee pad from the facelift dash. I'm hoping to get it concealed behind there.

If I'm not happy then I will pop it out.

Oh to add, my soldering skills are very poor. I guess I could knock Husky up maybe?

In this article they tear down a 30-pin to Lightning adapter (solid type, no cable)

You might find its exactly what you need as the Lightning part is connected via a small ribbon cable, making the footprint rather small and suitable for your needs

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/accessories/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter-teardown-revealed-pics/

In this article they tear down a 30-pin to Lightning adapter (solid type, no cable)

You might find its exactly what you need as the Lightning part is connected via a small ribbon cable, making the footprint rather small and suitable for your needs

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/accessories/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter-teardown-revealed-pics/

I'm liking that idea. It's basically what Soundman does I believe.

Daryl I'm trying to make my life as easy as possible by keeping as many clean lines as possible. Just a pain waiting for things to set or dry.

Thanks Mark, you've done me proud.

Herewith my new 90 degree 30 pin to lightning butchered by yours truly.

Wasn't that hard to do.

AE0A2A74-FA9F-49F6-8AE4-DC6DEA30259B_zpsifsaqqag.jpg

55DF7056-1E23-43B1-8732-228B601BADC4_zpshduavizc.jpg

Next is to take out the adapter currently in the dash, which will be fun when superglued :dry:

• Like 1

Awesome! This is what I wanted in my car, bought an ipad specially! Then the guy said he couldn't do it. Looks great! :)

iPad forget it, but iPad mini is doable. I would have put it where the cubby/sat nav goes, but I want to retain my oem satnav for emergencies, you just never know. I'm anycase if I was to do that it would look daft keeping my stereo.

There's a few ways for connectivity, bluetooth, wifi, or as I'm doing direct digital. Doing the digital is more cash but I really want the best results. Also I love tech so it adds to the fun.

I'm hoping over the weekend to finish the adapter. Get on with the shaping around where the ipad will sit. Then ensure all visible panels are smooth and imperfection free. Prime and hopefully get the top coat applied.

• Like 1

Thanks Mark, you've done me proud.

Herewith my new 90 degree 30 pin to lightning butchered by yours truly.

Wasn't that hard to do.

AE0A2A74-FA9F-49F6-8AE4-DC6DEA30259B_zpsifsaqqag.jpg

55DF7056-1E23-43B1-8732-228B601BADC4_zpshduavizc.jpg

Next is to take out the adapter currently in the dash, which will be fun when superglued :dry:

I love it Ian, thing of beauty.

Just shows that Soundman will take lazy peoples money and then overcharge ;)

• Like 1

You've hit the nail right on the head there.

The price of his kits are stupendously expensive. Which is why I ventured out on this rocky road, never done any of this sort of work ever before, and I'm loving it :lol:;

how are you planning on keeping the ipad in the mount? I tried this with my Iphone 6+ but didnt get very far, I may give it another bash over the christmas with this guide to help.

Magnets, they're not fixed to the back of the pad tray yet only as I want to bed down all the major work first.

Basically glue a strip of magnets at the back and it won't move an inch.

Glad this is providing inspiration to others.

Okay so it takes a lot of work and you could pay someone a heap of cash, but this is so much more rewarding.

Awesome! This is what I wanted in my car, bought an ipad specially! Then the guy said he couldn't do it. Looks great! :)

iPad forget it, but iPad mini is doable. I would have put it where the cubby/sat nav goes, but I want to retain my oem satnav for emergencies, you just never know. I'm anycase if I was to do that it would look daft keeping my stereo.

There's a few ways for connectivity, bluetooth, wifi, or as I'm doing direct digital. Doing the digital is more cash but I really want the best results. Also I love tech so it adds to the fun.

I'm hoping over the weekend to finish the adapter. Get on with the shaping around where the ipad will sit. Then ensure all visible panels are smooth and imperfection free. Prime and hopefully get the top coat applied.

I'm not very good at technically stuff but I do love my gadgets! Can not wait to see your final outcome! :) I was thinking about the ipad mini but the guy said he could do either, I wanted to put it above my normal stereo to get rid of that empty box thing on the dash which doesn't work properly on my car anyway. He said I could have waited a few more months for the correct connectors to come out. But I needed a descent stereo as the factory one was jumping a little. I may have it done in the future, but have a few other bits which are more important like p3 service first. :) good luck! And I do wish I had the faith in myself to do this, love to tinkering but have no idea what I'm doing! Haha :)