iPad Mini Install (OBDII Dash Command!!) Page 10

Wasso

Looking real good, the finished article is gonna look perfect.

I really do hope so because Gloss black will show up imperfections. The right hand side which I've had to build up in layers of filler could show up some of my rookie work. Although I've already said to myself that if its not right to sand back and fix anything which looks less than perfect.

I've also tested the adapter and it's working, as that would be a real pain to take it out if it didn't work. So the technical parts are working :yahoo:

Thing is I can't work on it now till Christmas Day. The family won't see me thereafter :lol:

• Like 1

Update (Christmas workshop)

Well, Christmas is now over which has given me access to working on the dash. Last pics show the base primer ready for some coats of black gloss.

Now, this isn't my greatest work so far but I'm persevering to make sure I end up with the right finish. After 2 attempts it's still not right but the coats are building up allowing me to get rid of the high and low spots. Clearly my primer sanding wasn't up to scratch.

These are the worst areas.

AC6F190D-3C56-42DD-8C9A-BD2F21911DCF_zpsszdmwfwf.jpg

A49D3F1B-1195-460A-B767-9419AD7968DB_zps7wmogn0u.jpg

After some rubbing down and further painting she's starting to come together and feel like a pro job, despite having to go through this 3 times.

Here's the prep and repair.

03C9A958-83E9-4CDA-A3FA-F54FDF1B893F_zpsz6yvg8eh.jpg

9DACBD32-5E49-4CCC-B776-7D4046FA82FA_zpspsfd8nqk.jpg

6CE55AA9-D0B4-4152-951D-6EB320C28171_zpsrw48wecv.jpg

41180CC5-397A-4583-BF6F-A22CFA62039E_zpsfohnrovv.jpg

4402C4FE-6B74-4C08-ADB9-1B4DDD271F6C_zps5tjnkpks.jpg

The Lightning cable has come up a treat and the joins making the two sections are holding up nice and strong. No cracking in the paint either.

9D22523D-7BA5-4E46-A4F7-346D19F69EBE_zpsdim538tl.jpg

FE7522B9-49E5-4929-85E8-21640FC2BBF9_zps2t2md66c.jpg

E47D96FC-440F-452B-8039-A9EC7D02BF31_zpstdzjbli8.jpg

6D8C2213-6660-4C28-87E8-BF32B8F8DB55_zpskuxt3hd0.jpg

Pics don't do the finish justice. It's liquid!!

Next stage is to test for the controls for the AC as I know I need to make some slight adjustments.

Once that's done its back to the car to then install my iPod dock (pure i20) which has been modded to run in the car rather than at home with a 12v step down to 5v. From there I'll be connecting the Pure i20 to my Audison Bit One sound processor via the Optical Cable.

Then it's onto configuring the sound from the iPad to the processors. Which needs a laptop to be plugged in, so that I can tell the processor which channels to now receive sound.

Updates to follow with the dash in the car and the processor connected.

• Like 5

without wanting to sound like a tw@t, which I probably am (genuinely not wanting to :( ), why don't you use something like this?

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/in-car-receivers-players/xsp-n1bt

it basically turns your phablet into the radio, charges etc on the go and the radio still works if you forget the phone. Obviously the larger phones look better as it leaves less headunit visible.

I know it's not exactly the same, but it does save some issues :)

The work you've done is massively impressive all the same, it's going to look great :)

That

without wanting to sound like a tw@t, which I probably am (genuinely not wanting to :( ), why don't you use something like this?

http://www.sony.co.u...layers/xsp-n1bt

it basically turns your phablet into the radio, charges etc on the go and the radio still works if you forget the phone. Obviously the larger phones look better as it leaves less headunit visible.

I know it's not exactly the same, but it does save some issues :)

The work you've done is massively impressive all the same, it's going to look great :)

That's all well and good but it's not made by Wasso Industries :)
  • Like 1

That's all well and good but it's not made by Wasso Industries :)

Wasso is a pro and makes everything look awesome in the end, maybe I'm just lazy and look for the easiest not the best option :lol:

I agree with you, I've been looking at the Alpine stuff which almost replicates what Ian is doing but Ian has always been very particular about his sound system and I can see why he would do this and it's a brilliant bit of work but I think, like you, I woud go the easy option. :)

Good day to all readers...... ha ha.

Okay, I'm not one for following the straight path to easiness. I like to set myself a challenge, anyone can pop a stereo in their car, well some can lol. I want to be totally radical and create something that I think looks really cool. No need for a car stereo to be on view ready to pinch. Sound which is improved by the full DA output. I've got all my apps, all my phone stuff all on one "console" so to speak. As Mark said, this is for both cars and whilst I will enjoy both vehicles, I'll take all my maps, music, pictures, settings etc etc. Also my In Car Camera links bluetooth via an app to the ipad also. So I can view front or rear on the full screen, which is also bigger than a standard sized head unit.

For me the ipad - which does sound extreme and whilst there's a wealth of other units out there coming up to speed with today's technology, I find these solutions slightly boring.

To reiterate what Graham said, I'm one for getting my hands dirty. Spacers, I was bored with the Motordyne and spent 6 months researching a spacer with my taste. Cufflinks, why on earthy would you create a set of cufflinks, why not, getting involved with companies to make something unique. The ipad dash, again it's me reaching out do something different. Years ago, I was hugely into car audio, I've previously ran 4 x 12" subs in the back of my car, but finding that just too "run of the mill" I set out to make a custom box running 2 x 8" subs isobaric.

I like to be different, it's mainly for my enjoyment lol.

• Like 5

Bloody awesome Ian!

If guys don't experiment with something that to the laymen appears good enough then there would be no future in the modification world!

Boring it would be!

Looking forward to seeing this finished mate

Well said Andy.

It's test fit time tomorrow. Test the connections. Install the stepdown comverter and test the sound :teeth:

Then it's a clear coat finish (just in case I mark the paint and need to make a small repair) and then it's done!!

• Like 2

Ha, now I know you're really excited ^ God help the neighbours :)

That time will come when I get her down to Auto Audio in Park Royal for the full Audison tune.

I've also got my eyes on a new sub, but it's not been released yet, but has won the 2014/15 EISA award best Subwoofer.

http://www.morelhifi.com/car-audio/ultimo-titanium

485424113_640.jpg

Blimey, that looks like a monster :scare::band:

Only a 10" which would replace the 10" shallow Alpine I have. The Alpine is nice, really tight firm bass, but I want a little more air movement, I may regret that idea but fancy testing something different.

Dibs on the Alpine :teeth:

Bloody hell Graham I know vultured are in like a shot but wowzers!! That's super fast!!

Thing is I was going to give Wendy a nice install too. To be fair the BOSE audio in the Alfa is 1000 times better than the Zed BOSE. All it needs is a bit more Sub bass and some increased tweets. As I don't want to lose too much boot space to an audio system the Alpine would be a good solution. BUT, I am thinking about doing two 8's isobaric as I've done before.

I'll def let you know if it will be available for sale Mr G :thumbs:

• Like 2

BM :lol:

I doubt the sound is going to be any worse than it is now. The MD exhaust is loud. I'll have an exhaust actuator hopefully, all dependant on the cost of the exhaust build. But I want the option to have a more civil exhaust tone, or there will be a need for a Jackhammer :lol:

Okay pics will follow later today and a short video.

BUT! Just to say it's ****ing IN!!

All connected, Processor connect via Optical Out from the iPad and the sound is def improved from the headunit.

Dash fits perfectly even though it's now just one piece.

Going to now fit gear surround, AC controls and Hazard switch gear.

Don't expect anything till tonight, but to say I'm pleased thus far is an understatement.

I'm God damn over the moon :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

• Like 4