iPad Mini Install (OBDII Dash Command!!) Page 10

Wasso

Okay so some may know that I'm in the process of going one step further with a iPad (Full Digital Audio) ICE install.

I've been building the iPad kit over the last week and it's coming along nicely. The only downside is that it's going to be a really tight squeeze in the dash.

I've never worked with fibreglass before, neither with filler. So this has been a huge learning curve for me.

I've already got all the necessary kit to get this running so it's just a case of doing the dash install.

First off I took the iPad, sealed it with cling film and waxed the cling film for easy removal once the fibreglass had set. Being a rookie it didn't go too well. So I had already purchased bumper filler as its more flexible and will bond better once fitted to the dash.

Yes it is on the Mrs AGA :lol: (speed up the drying process)

E906C36E-5069-4672-A058-C39071B3DA93_zpsmmazmfml.jpg

C51A66DE-11D9-4523-84D6-AB2F2AD722E0_zpsopzy5gqf.jpg

With a mix off sanding, filling, sanding, filling I'm at the stage now to finish off the inner edges to make it look square and tidy.

0DB0691E-F72E-4FD3-9067-3A4141D3E387_zpsq8rdqt0k.jpg

BE4C8FDD-3C50-4821-B4E3-E40DF4168BF8_zpsie3agu45.jpg

B35EC777-8C37-4E0D-A1CE-C4EF862F4072_zps711l8erp.jpg

Then on with some high build primer. Then I'll be finishing off with black.

656EBD9D-6700-47C2-858C-330159DC1FD9_zpsrxvplyf4.jpg

5CE555FB-1982-4381-B8C7-C84273A59E71_zpssrbmufow.jpg

7A6A2965-C215-4431-BD4B-9DAAA841706A_zpsjomexdbs.jpg

Next stage is to fit it to my dash and move the AC controls lower down so the iPad will fit in nice.

It also means taking the dash out will be harder but not impossible.

The finished look will entail carbon skimming the entire central dash for a super clean modern finish.

Edited by Wasso
  • Like 1

Okay so some may know that I'm in the process of going one step further with a iPad (Full Digital Audio) ICE install.

I've been building the iPad kit over the last week and it's coming along nicely. The only downside is that it's going to be a really tight squeeze in the dash.

I've never worked with fibreglass before, neither with filler. So this has been a huge learning curve for me.

I've already got all the necessary kit to get this running so it's just a case of doing the dash install.

First off I took the iPad, sealed it with cling film and waxed the cling film for easy removal once the fibreglass had set. Being a rookie it didn't go too well. So I had already purchased bumper filler as its more flexible and will bond better once fitted to the dash.

Yes it is on the Mrs AGA :lol: (speed up the drying process)

E906C36E-5069-4672-A058-C39071B3DA93_zpsmmazmfml.jpg

C51A66DE-11D9-4523-84D6-AB2F2AD722E0_zpsopzy5gqf.jpg

With a mix off sanding, filling, sanding, filling I'm at the stage now to finish off the inner edges to make it look square and tidy.

0DB0691E-F72E-4FD3-9067-3A4141D3E387_zpsq8rdqt0k.jpg

BE4C8FDD-3C50-4821-B4E3-E40DF4168BF8_zpsie3agu45.jpg

B35EC777-8C37-4E0D-A1CE-C4EF862F4072_zps711l8erp.jpg

Then on with some high build primer. Then I'll be finishing off with black.

656EBD9D-6700-47C2-858C-330159DC1FD9_zpsrxvplyf4.jpg

5CE555FB-1982-4381-B8C7-C84273A59E71_zpssrbmufow.jpg

7A6A2965-C215-4431-BD4B-9DAAA841706A_zpsjomexdbs.jpg

Next stage is to fit it to my dash and move the AC controls lower down so the iPad will fit in nice.

It also means taking the dash out will be harder but not impossible.

The finished look will entail carbon skimming the entire central dash for a super clean modern finish.

Good luck with this Ian as looks extremely tricky!

Looking forward to seeing this finished as I think very soon this sort or set up will be main stream in cars.

• Like 2

I agree Andy, the ipad has so much fumctionality and can be moved from car to car as long as you've got the running gear behind it all.

Soundman.ca (Doug) created the first slider and float mount for the iPad and mini, but not going to pay nearly £200 for one.

So I've had a bash, okay it's taking time and may not be 100% clinically perfect but ill make sure it's got the cleanest lines possible.

I'm not looking forward to cutting the top section of my gear surround :headhurt:

By coincidence I've just been trying to find if this same install has been done before, couldn't find much .I will watch this with interest.

If you need any help with audio bits needed, videos (YouTube "Soundman") and watch his SRT Jeep install. Shows you everything of what's needed and more.

The most logical place to put the mini is where the SatNav goes (or flap cupboard thing) but I'm keeping my oem Sat and will remove my headunit completely.

• Like 1

I'm thinking of a similar job but haven't got the time and don't know where to start. Good luck with it and I'll keep my eyes on this thread. 😎

It's not that hard, if you fancy getting started just let me know and I can help out where I can.

• Like 1

I'm thinking of a similar job but haven't got the time and don't know where to start. Good luck with it and I'll keep my eyes on this thread. 😎

It's not that hard, if you fancy getting started just let me know and I can help out where I can.

Thanks Wasso for your offer :thumb: , I think I need to get myself a garage first 😂 currently living in an apartment makes it really awkward to work on the car. I think it's best for me to sit back and observe the experts for now. I'm liking the idea of cling film your ipad mini and use it to shape your holder. Great idea that I defo steal 😀

Edited by veeg33

Thanks Wasso for your offer :thumb: , I think I need to get myself a garage first 😂 currently living in an apartment makes it really awkward to work on the car. I think it's best for me to sit back and observe the experts for now. I'm liking the idea of cling film your ipad mini and use it to shape your holder. Great idea that I defo steal 😀

Yeah it defo gets messy. Not a good idea in the house. I'm going to do the same in my Alfa, so this is a trial run in effect.

More than happy to help others achieve the same goals :thumbs:

Yeah it defo gets messy. Not a good idea in the house. I'm going to do the same in my Alfa, so this is a trial run in effect.

More than happy to help others achieve the same goals :thumbs:

Played with some fibreglass and glue kit before to make an air box for my mate's kit car, they really are messy....

This is what I love most in this forum! Everyone is so helpful and willing to share. ;)

• Like 1

Wouldn't it be easier just to buy a cheap case and cut off whatever you don't need, than to go through all the hassle of fabricating a whole new one?

No, because you need to slide the iPad into the connector. So whilst a standard case is made to fit, the item I've built allows you to slide the iPad in, which will then connect to the cable.

That was one of my ideas but it just wouldn't have worked.

Wouldn't it be easier just to buy a cheap case and cut off whatever you don't need, than to go through all the hassle of fabricating a whole new one?

No, because you need to slide the iPad into the connector. So whilst a standard case is made to fit, the item I've built allows you to slide the iPad in, which will then connect to the cable.

That was one of my ideas but it just wouldn't have worked.

You don't really need the iPad to slide while inside the case for that, you can leave some slack on the cable, so that you would connect the cable first and then click the iPad into the case if that makes any sense? Damn, I wish they brought decent affordable 3d printers out, would be so much easier to do things like that. I wouldn't mind doing something like that for the cubby, but I don't think I could fabricate something that would not look totally ghetto.

I see what you're saying, and yes would be far easier.

I'm thinking the slide and lock is going to look better and no need to be grappling for a wire that's now gone behind the dash lol.

Nice thinking though :thumbs: def worth a shout as option 2

So a little further forward.

The iPad base has been given a final shape up for fitment to the central dash.

The dash also has been cut back quite dramatically to allow for the iPad base to fit.

7050F1B4-48B6-4483-B732-0629656B1DD5_zpshaao1t9d.jpg

A bit of gloss black (just so that I can get a feel of the final product) but will be moulded and filled into the dash and bonded, so later it will be painted again.

D64FCF43-ADC9-489C-9388-5F46FF9F8FD6_zps99ltqnp6.jpg

2B9A8D67-D0B2-48F6-845E-B45BE7C2A6BA_zpsa3b04m6f.jpg

22A8BD8F-0C63-4FE6-9F41-8BD999D94F15_zps7qgfbkl8.jpg

EA6D816D-13CC-4D67-A755-4EB9D784E837_zpss0lbtdgs.jpg

Next is to modify the lower section which houses the AC controls to allow this beast to fit.

This part will be fun I'm sure......

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update......

I've now moved onto the more technical section of this build. The iPad mini is of course slightly larger than the oem stereo location. So with the gear surround section taken apart I set about butchering it. I've been forced to move down the AC controls and hazard light button.

In the pics following you'll see the section cut up ready for repositioning.

All sections are placed in their new lower position and bonded with filler to fill gaps.

92626B6F-0078-4811-BA29-C49573212E3C_zps61vx2euy.jpg

The first section is guided into place.

D5DAF72C-1EB0-4227-9530-FEC7EC1F3476_zpspep3g36y.jpg

Now with the hazard light button in its new more forward location.

A755DC83-2D35-46AD-B9BB-4613BA6E282D_zps3s6iednu.jpg

Stage one filler retaining the AC controls.

F8AD778C-F994-4F5A-831D-347D02CF97D3_zps9ilygifw.jpg

And with the button recess.

A6F2FD1C-5498-4D65-A566-FB4A1DAAA6BD_zpssfvdfluw.jpg

The filler will allow me to smooth out any joins or imperfections. The filler is a bumper filler so has a very slight amount of flex which is ideal for the dash.

Next stage is to get the entire lower section smoothed out. Same to the top section and then begin sanding in preparation to accept the iPad holder in its final location.

A hole has been cutout already for the iPad to be charged. All Electronics are ready so the end isn't that far away.

Comments welcome. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Cheers :thumbs: total rookie at this sort of thing.

Luckily this isn't the dash from my Zed as its a spare specially purchased for this modification, so when I'm done with it I could sell it or bin it, replace with my untouched one still in the car.

Can't wait to start the sanding to get a smooth finish ready for the carbon skinning.

Hope so, I do have a fear of it looking like a pile of pants :lol:

Thing is I won't stop till it's looking perfect. The carbon skin will at least cover any imperfections, or I may, if it goes super well finish with just gloss black.

We shall see how I get on. More updates over the weekend.

• Like 1