350z vs Skoda Fabia RS

jamess115

I've had some 'enthusiastic' driving in my z. Had an altercation with a Astra vxr and new shape focus rs. The Astra fell away and I was pushing the rs all the way. This was on a private road obviously. I'm proud of what the z can achieve. And mine isn't even the hallowed hr! But like most people are saying it's the looks that matter. Also the z was built from the ground up to be a sports car. Hot hatches are exactly that hatchbacks that have had to be adapted to take a few more ponies.

• Like 1

I've just bought my HR, coming from a 2010 Octavia vRS petrol DSG. I sold my Octy to my brother and knew I wanted to get a zed. I then test drove a 55 plate zed and was gutted. It just didn't feel quick like I though it was going to. To give the zed another chance, me and our kid then went to view 54 plate, and on the test drive he followed me in the Octavia. Second gear coming off a roundabout around 30mph, foot to the floor and the Octavia was right there up to 100mph (didn't go any faster), There was nothing in it. These two experiences put me off the zed until I decided to stop being an idiot and take the zed for what it is. It may not be be able to outrun modern hot hatches in a straight line, but that's not what the car is about. They drive brilliantly, handle well, put a smile on your face, and at the end of he day they are still fairly fast. I went for the HR for that bit of extra power and just take the car for what it is, and love it.

On the subject of giant killers, I've beaten plenty of 'fast' cars around the Nurburgring in a Suzuki Swift Sport, including Ferraris and Porsches. Now THAT would be embarrassing :D

• Like 2

The M3 was really quick, a skoda vrs is only hot hatch quick. If I had wanted speed I would have kept the BMW. The 350z feels high end hot hatch quick but also feels and looks like a proper drivers car. It's way fast enough for British roads and tbh who cares about a few tenths here and there. I'm a driving enthusiast not a boy racer. The person in the VAG box can overtake for all I care :)

• Like 1

Just a supercharger or turbo to the Z if you want to go faster in a straight line and even the playing field with these modern hot hatches. We're lucky to have that option, for the RX8, there's no reliable FI options whatsoever even if you're prepared to spend £15k.

I think you just get used to the power no matter what. At first the Z felt really fast to me coming from the 192 RX8, that lasted about 2 journeys and it feels slow :lol:

Exactly.

Remember when I first went from a 92 Golf VR6 (which I thought was fast at the time) to a my96 JDM Impreza WRX ~ it was a totally different league and was like a rocket ship for the first few weeks/months. :evil:

Once I got used to that though I wanted more power and tuned it up further. Even then I got used to that again. Just a never ending circle. :lol:;)

• Like 1

The main thing about the Zed is that the N/A engine gives a linear power delivery, unlike Turbo's which give a 'boost' through the power delivery. On the plus side there's no turbo lag so I still don't think the Zed is slow in a straight line, I have kept up with many cars which on paper should be a little quicker, but I am ruthless with the gear shifts.

The main thing about the Zed is that the N/A engine gives a linear power delivery, unlike Turbo's which give a 'boost' through the power delivery. On the plus side there's no turbo lag so I still don't think the Zed is slow in a straight line, I have kept up with many cars which on paper should be a little quicker, but I am ruthless with the gear shifts.

Or the other cars aren't ragging there tits off. I've beaten a 'insert faster car here' in a straight before which is meant to be quicker, although, he didn't know it was a race and wasn't trying, but I still won.

Turbo lag disappeared in the 90's, all the modern units Ive driven are lag free :)

Sergio Aguero drives a 350z!!!! :lol:

Sorry, but I do feel sorry for you gearbox & clutch :)

Or the other cars aren't ragging there tits off. I've beaten a 'insert faster car here' in a straight before which is meant to be quicker, although, he didn't know it was a race and wasn't trying, but I still won.

True it could be that or they are in the wrong gear.. I never felt it's slow although I haven't had the pleasure of driving cars much faster than the zed

Turbo lag disappeared in the 90's, all the modern units Ive driven are lag free :)

Not so, my dad's E class merc (2007 320CDI) has massive lag, you can put your foot all the way down on the accelerator quickly and take it off, and it doesn't even register it!! Depends on the car probably.

Sergio Aguero drives a 350z!!!! :lol:

Sorry, but I do feel sorry for you gearbox & clutch :)

Thanks for that :lol: I don't rag it that much really. It's just swift fast changes, no dilly dallying, and I definitely don't clash gears! Edited by Exotic

Fabia VRS is 1200kg so if it was remapped it would have a power to weight ratio not far off the Zed. It's no surprise, it's all about Power to weight ratio in this sort of thing. Round a track or on a twisty road, you'd be able to put the power down more easily on the Zed but I wouldn't dismiss the Fabia with a competent driver.

Edited by wmr1980

Lag or boost threshold?

boost thresh hold is not much to write home about, or at least in my TDI Golf which is all out of ideas by 2.8rev, lag on the other hand, nothing much happenes if you floor it under 2krev, after that it's fine but pretty unresponsive before hand.

Edited by Rock_Steady

Boost threshold is the point in the rev range at which it starts making boost, lag is when you lift your foot off the gas and then plant it, and how long it takes to spool up again.

ah, thanks for that Ekona :). Of course depends on the diesel turbo, so perhaps my post is moot. Boost thresh hold on the My Golf is just before 2k, as for the lag, I haven't taken much notice. I'll have to try that on the way home tonight just out of curiousity. All I know is that with all the tubby cars I've had (petrol mind you) lag has never been a problem if you're in the right rev range. Edited by Rock_Steady