350z vs Skoda Fabia RS

jamess115

Driving home from work last night, I experienced the usual headlights from behind burning into the back of my head and on reaching a dual carriageway I let this car past. It turned out to be a '62 Skoda Fabia RS. Pulling in behind the SOB, he gave me the finger and roared off. I started to catch him reaching 70-80 odd but this did rather humble me. So my question is.. are these little 1.4L gay cars really that fast or am I just slow ? ..... :dry:

My daily is a Fabia VRS. Always felt there wouldn't be much in it , the published 0-60 is 7.3 but at timed events even standard cars can achieve 6.5 but many are mapped or tuned running 200-210hp and a few are hitting 240+

20140928_140412_zpsd6db8fc3.jpg

• Like 1

It's twin charged it has a supercharger which provides low down grunt up until about 3500rpm and then the turbo takes over , stock hp is about 180

I added eibach springs and Whiteline roll bars to mine and it's like a go cart

Here we go again, his dick was bigger than mine.

When will people understand this is a 10+ year old car, with an average of 265bhp and a lot of weight. It's not a lightning quick car, but take it on track you will realise what is special about this car, the handling.

• Like 10

Fully agree with Grundy just appreciate what you have. At the end of the day we all are governed by the speed limit and the Zed is a drivers car - no questions. I would wonder how many Skoda owners look back in the car park as the Zedders do and have a wide grin. I am a big fan of my Zed and couldn't care less how fast other cars are as they are not mine

FFS its a Skoda!

• Like 4

This is why I got rid my RX8. Everything beat that in straight line including decent 1.9 tdi's. I've found my Z has done very well accelerating upto the speed limit on dual carriageway against anything I've encountered so far and I've accelerated with some cars pushing well over 200bhp with 0-60 times much better than 7.1 secs :shrug: I do consider myself an awesome shifter though :lol:;)

I'm getting the H-Dev engine upgrade package done with all the extras end of this month. Should have about 290ish bhp after that according to H-Dev and more low end torque & power. Then hopefully a Vortech supercharger in about 6-10 months, already got some parts. I didn't buy a Z only to have TDis or Skodas give me hassle! :rant::lol:

This is why I got rid my RX8. Everything beat that in straight line including decent 1.9 tdi's. I've found my Z has done very well accelerating upto the speed limit on dual carriageway against anything I've encountered so far and I've accelerated with some cars pushing well over 200bhp with 0-60 times much better than 7.1 secs :shrug: I do consider myself an awesome shifter though :lol:;)

I'm getting the H-Dev engine upgrade package done with all the extras end of this month. Should have about 290ish bhp after that according to H-Dev and more low end torque & power. Then hopefully a Vortech supercharger in about 6-10 months, already got some parts. I didn't buy a Z only to have TDis or Skodas give me hassle! :rant::lol:

Then you shouldn't have bought a Zed :lol:

There is me at Silverstone, granted the track was busy and wasn't the best exp - But notice how many pull away/over take in a straight line. But then notice how I can catch them up in the corners. The silver Zed is supercharged.

Just think, people who want to see who has the bigger dick on a straight line should go get a small hatchback with a big turbo charged engine and go to Santa Pod.

Grundy has it spot on

The Z is a big lump that looks great, sounds great and handles very well for it's mass

On the few occasions that I have "had a play" with other cars, none have kept up in the twisty bits, what you have to do is lull them into a false sense of security, slow on the straight bits then nail it on the curvy bits :D

Rob

• Like 2

A hot hatch with a turbo doesn't tick the all boxes like a Z. I didn't buy the Z just to go fast in straight line, I love the looks, sound and the way it drives. I planned to add power before I bought it. Compared to the RX8, it's relatively cheap and much more reliable to go FI.

Saying that, the RX8 does handle better BUT it doesn't have as good brakes or as much power so you still can get round the corners as quick, it just feels heavier and less precise. The trouble is, most cars handle pretty well upto the speed the limit so you need to push it quite a bit to loose a half decent driver with equal or more power in the bends which is both dangerous and illegal. Personally, I'd rather just 'measure the size of my dick' off the traffic lights or on a dual carriageway upto the speed limit if I'm having any sort of fun on the roads to keep things as safe as possible. I'll save pushing it hard round the bends for track days.

I think the Z is so much like my track bike, bit old in the tooth, bit lardy, not to quick in a straight line compared to the modern stuff but handles like a dream, the extra weight keeps it totally planted around the bends, it's so much fun and always puts a smile on my face

Recent photo from Oulton park, no one came past me on the bends ;)

Rob

post-19921-0-30802400-1412675926_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

When will people understand this is a 10+ year old car, with an average of 265bhp and a lot of weight..

And thats a 1.4 Skoda. Not being funny, but you kinda expect it from a VXR or Focus RS, but not from a 1.4 Skoda. Id be crying into my dinner anyway :lol:

• Like 3

When will people understand this is a 10+ year old car, with an average of 265bhp and a lot of weight..

And thats a 1.4 Skoda. Not being funny, but you kinda expect it from a VXR or Focus RS, but not from a 1.4 Skoda. Id be crying into my dinner anyway :lol:

only the owner and his friends will know what's under the hood. But It won't have the same top speed as the zed. I'd be pi**ed. But I wouldn't tell the world :lol:

A lot of cars will be quicker but past 110 they will fall behind

#teamtarmac

Edited by grundy225

I have to say I have taken much bigger scalps than a 350z in my vrs , not that I race on the road or would exceed 110 on the road since that's ban territory.

Mind you I got smoked by a diesel Fabia in my 370 on the drag strip but that ran a 12.3 and has 350+hp

Edited by Richf