370 to a GT86...?

ECG1000

I've had my 370 for 6 months now and love it.

It looks the business, goes like stink and having fitted a pair of Cybox short tails, sounds pretty mean as well.

I'm getting itchy feet to swap to a GT86 for a few reasons:

1) I'd like to experience as many decent cars as possible.

2) Don't want to be driving the Zed around day to day in the imminent sh!tty weather. It will be very frustrating not being able to drive the car hard when it gets cold and slippery. It will also irritate me trying to keep it clean.

I find it an event every morning/evening having a b-road blast to/from work or the gym. I think winter will take the shine off this a bit when I can't deploy full power.

3) The main reason is the fact I like doing track days. I haven't done any in the 370 due to the cost. I'm pretty confident the '86 will be a fair bit cheaper to maintain if I do a track day every month or so. If anything goes wrong, it's mostly covered by warranty. I could replace all four tyres on an '86 for the same price as a pair of rears on the 370. With the car being heavier, I'd imagine brake pads are going to need replacing at greater cost, more frequently.

Then there's the thought of needing an oil cooler as well....

For point 2, I guess you could say I can buy a cheap and cheerful runaround from an auction and garage the Zed over the winter. This is quite tempting but it doesn't really solve the track day issue. Plus, I'd have to insure and tax another car then.

You could also say that if I did get an '86 I would be just as frustrated driving that in the winter conditions. With 120bhp less than the Zed, I'd think I could use most of the power more often and not worry too much. I think the '86 looks pretty good dirty as well. Probably the

that's made me think that!

Am I being pedantic about the track day theory of point 3?

There's a lot a talk about the GT86's boxer engine being very flat and uninspiring. I've driven my mate's which has the 2nd CAT deleted, CAT-back exhaust and a remap. This feels way more perky and eager than a stock model and is enjoyable to thrash. A Zed would still blitz it in a straight line... I think that's the main thing I'd miss about the Zed. Got so much grunt. Each car has it's own merits though.

In an ideal world I'd have a 2nd car dedicated for track work/fast road, but I need one car that does everything.

Anyway, sorry for the massive essay! Thoughts appreciated.

Edited by ECG1000

I popped into the Toyota garage near my parents to check out the gt86.

Salesman came over and spent more time asking questions about the 370.

I bet it's a fun car to drive and play with but it's soooo underpowered. Driven a s/c'd one and that was more like it.

Just do it, if you change your mind come back to the fold.

Whilst this is true, I rather avoid all the faff of changing cars again! Want to try and make the right decision in the first place.

I drove one before buying the 370 , desperately underpowered really and not a great spec

Yeah, they don't feel quite as snug as the Zed and there's no Bose. The power isn't a match to the Zeds but you can make good progress if you wring it's neck. Not as easy to make brisk progress using the Zed's torque though.

Keep the Zed. You can use performance any day of the week, but you will seldom really 'use' the 86's handling... So really you're just getting a slower car. :-(

What about the costs of track days?

They are slow standard, removing cats etc doesn't make a deal of difference but a Super Charger helps, they do look good with a few choice mods too.

If I did get one, it would be straight to Litchfield for a full exhaust system, de-CAT and remap. Possible super charge in the future depending on how long I would keep it...

Edited by ECG1000

A 370 is going to be an expensive proposition to track, compared with a BRZ86.

Personally I'd be keeping the 370, and then getting something cheap and cheerful for trackdays. You could get an MX5 for £1K, spend £2K on suspension, brakes and tyres, and have a much better track car than either.

Work out the cost to change from 370 to BRZ86, then see if there's anything within that budget that would work for track use.

• Like 1

well, anyone who has read any write ups on the GT86/BRZ will know that power was never it's intention. If it's set up on some decent coil-overs and whiteline adjustable suspension bolts they are absolutely awesome round the bends and would easily give any 350/370 a run for it's money but straight line speed? I think Fred Flinstone would keep up with you. Supercharging it would make it what a lot consider to be what it should be.

well, anyone who has read any write ups on the GT86/BRZ will know that power was never it's intention

What he said

I don't get all the stigma about these being too underpowered- they're not pitched as performance cars they're designed to have fun. The ae86 was the same and now it's an icon

As dowcra mentioned they have the same ethos as an mx5 or clio cup- no big power but huge fun on track. Getting a cheaper one of these for track days isn't a bad option

• Like 1

Out of all the flaws I found with the BRZ86, the lack of power really wasn't one of them.

I understand that people get their kicks from big power, but if you think the BRZ86 needs more power for regular road use then you need your head examined. It's perfectly judged in that regard.

• Like 2

I think a GT86 would be very disappointing after a 370Z plus it will 'cost' to change - depreciation on 370Z etc.

Why not use those costs to buy a Renaultsport Clio or similar, tax and insure it. You can hoon it around on the road in winter and cane the living daylights out of it on the track.

Personally would rather risk damaging £1K worth of car than £20K plus worth and would probably be faster in the Clio than the GT86 or 370Z. Not because its faster but because I wouldn't give a toss about it - hire car syndrome.

well, anyone who has read any write ups on the GT86/BRZ will know that power was never it's intention

What he said

I don't get all the stigma about these being too underpowered- they're not pitched as performance cars they're designed to have fun. The ae86 was the same and now it's an icon

As dowcra mentioned they have the same ethos as an mx5 or clio cup- no big power but huge fun on track. Getting a cheaper one of these for track days isn't a bad option

The AE86 was around a long long time ago back when cars were lighter and lower powered than today.

I'm not saying the gt86 isn't fun on the limit , it's under tyred meaning the limit is easily and predictable to reach but in day to day use getting outperformed by diesel repmobiles would be tiresome

Not that the 370 is a good track car though it would make more sense to buy a mx5 like already suggested and use than for track days and keep the zed

Taken from my earlier..."review" of the 86 at Bedford last week.

I also did seven laps in a GT86 and I have to say that is one brilliant chassis - really smooth, progressive oversteer and the engine (despite reports to the contrary) seemed great to me - revvy, eager and sonorous for a 4-pot boxer. I really like this car and while it lacks the mechanical grip of something like an Exige it was a hell of a lot of fun to chuck around and not as slow as you'd think. The brakes also held up surprisingly well, although it's only dealing with 1180kg kerb weight.

I do think you're a bit mad to go through all the hassle of selling the 70, and getting an 86 just for the sake of the 300 odd miles a year you might do on track. And if you are going to spend a lot of time racing then you'd probably want something you can bin and not cry about, so a £3k MkI / MkII MX5 is ideal for that as ekona said. It'll have broadly similar power / weight and chassis dynamics.

And as for wanting to sell the 370 because you can't handle its immense rwd power in winter; stop being ghey.

• Like 1

Not because its faster

Im at Spa tomorrow with a mate who drives a 182 Cup and other than long straights theres nothing between my coilovered, wide tyred, uprated brakes 350Z and his pretty much stock car. Youd be surprised .......... ;)

I've just booked Spa for mid November, and am praying it won't be a total blizzard on the day. First time there and very much looking forward to it.

Not because its faster

Im at Spa tomorrow with a mate who drives a 182 Cup and other than long straights theres nothing between my coilovered, wide tyred, uprated brakes 350Z and his pretty much stock car. Youd be surprised .......... ;)

I only added that note because I didn't want anyone getting on their soapbox about what is quicker :)