370 to a GT86...?

ECG1000

Dave does have a point,

It is hilarious ragging the balls out of a car with less power, I always go back to a track day I had, Ferrari, Porsche, Impreza and an Elise. The Elise although the lowest spec and power of all of them was by far the most fun.

And out of those you would choose the Elise as a daily ? I doubt it

Dave does have a point,

It is hilarious ragging the balls out of a car with less power, I always go back to a track day I had, Ferrari, Porsche, Impreza and an Elise. The Elise although the lowest spec and power of all of them was by far the most fun.

Not too many would choose any of those, or a zed as a daily :shrug:

Dave does have a point,

the zed wasn't even mentioned ? very telling that you added it (again)

Dave does have a point,

It's a zed forum and the thread is about a 370 > gt86 :shrug:

Just saying not too many run them as daily drivers so I fail to see your argument?

Dave does have a point,

Just saying not too many run them as daily drivers so I fail to see your argument?

you didn't mention the gt86 but chose to mention the zed, argumment ... no, merely a point that has been mentioned to you many times before

impreza is very very common as a daily driver

so the gt86 is a good car but can be a great car if coilovers and a charger are added..........this can be said of a lot of cars, certainly the mx5 but on a much lower budget, personally I dont like the look of the gt86

Dave does have a point,

you didn't mention the gt86 but chose to mention the zed, argumment ... no, merely a point that has been mentioned to you many times before

so the gt86 is a good car but can be a great car if coilovers and a charger are added..........this can be said of a lot of cars, certainly the mx5 but on a much lower budget, personally I dont like the look of the gt86

I didn't mention it because a GT86 IS a car that most would use as a daily driver :lol:

Well done for turning a positive comment ( not wanting to use a 'nice' car as a daily ) into a totally stupid argument :clap:

Dave does have a point,

I didn't mention it because a GT86 IS a car that most would use as a daily driver :lol:

Well done for turning a positive comment ( not wanting to use a 'nice' car as a daily ) into a totally stupid argument :clap:

the "argument" as you insist on calling it........never was but twist it to suit yourself :thumbs:

Not because its faster

Im at Spa tomorrow with a mate who drives a 182 Cup and other than long straights theres nothing between my coilovered, wide tyred, uprated brakes 350Z and his pretty much stock car. Youd be surprised .......... ;)

I had a different experience with a clio 172 at track, It was caged etc but for some reason I kept nearly running over it in corners but he was quicker out of corners until the beast decided to move (without nitrous running)

I know they're slower than a Zed in a straight line and probably on the track. In the real world, down a B-road there isn't that much in it. Track times aren't really that important to me, having fun is.

I would be going for a low miler, '13 plate for around the £17,800 mark. Wouldn't really have to spend much at all on top of the sale/trade price for my Zed.

Getting a 2nd car to track isn't really an option for me. I don't have the space. It would also end up being quite expensive after getting a suitable car and setting it up properly. Anything front wheel drive wouldn't really interest me much anyway. I had a Clio 200 before which I tracked, great fun but rear wheel drive is the way forward for me now.

I like the idea of having a car that does the daily duties but can then be thrashed round a track and driven back home at the end of the day (provided you haven't bent it :) ).

And as for wanting to sell the 370 because you can't handle its immense rwd power in winter; stop being ghey.

:lol: I'm perfectly capable of handling the immense power. What I'm trying to say is when you put your foot down in a Zed, you're going to pick up speed very quickly. As you know, when the roads are cold and wet, this can be dangerous. Therefore, I think I'll get frustrated pootling from A to B every day not using the car for what it was made for.

In a GT86, you put your foot down and it takes longer to pick up speed. Similar to hire car syndrome, you can be thrashing it and having the time of your life, but not actually going that fast...

In a GT86, you put your foot down and it takes longer to pick up speed. Similar to hire car syndrome, you can be thrashing it and having the time of your life, but not actually going that fast...

And how will that be more fun on track than the 370?

Seriously, look at the cost to change and what two TDs will cost you in terms of tyres and brakes, and I reckon you could easy spend £3K on a track-spec MX5. Hell, my MR2 only cost me £4K with the turbo conversion and I can promise you that will show any BRZ86 or 370 in sensible (i.e. not stripped) road trim a clean set of heels. Depends on what you want though, I can see the pluses to having a road car that you track, as opposed to a track car that can go on the road.

And how will that be more fun on track than the 370?

Seriously, look at the cost to change and what two TDs will cost you in terms of tyres and brakes, and I reckon you could easy spend £3K on a track-spec MX5. Hell, my MR2 only cost me £4K with the turbo conversion and I can promise you that will show any BRZ86 or 370 in sensible (i.e. not stripped) road trim a clean set of heels. Depends on what you want though, I can see the pluses to having a road car that you track, as opposed to a track car that can go on the road.

I've not driven either on the track so can't speak from experience. I'm guessing with the '86 being lighter, it'll be more chuckable and having those Primacy tyres on, adjustable at lower speeds.

To change, it would cost me (for the spec/year I'm looking at) at the most £1000. From what I've read the tyres last quite a long time and are cheap, same with the brakes.

£3000-£4000 on a track toy isn't really viable unless I had the space and a company car for daily duties.

Fair enough. I personally don't think it would be massively worth it as the experiences would be similar, and I suspect you'd find yourself annoyed by the relative lack of power, but it would definitely be cheaper to track.

Nice problem to have! :D

Fair enough. I personally don't think it would be massively worth it as the experiences would be similar, and I suspect you'd find yourself annoyed by the relative lack of power, but it would definitely be cheaper to track.

Nice problem to have! :D

That's my main worry. Now I've got used to it, I think I'd miss the torque quite a lot!

However, a couple owners I've spoken to over on Piston Heads do say you get used to the lower power after a while. The whole car just clicks with you and makes sense as a package. Funnily enough, these two had 350's before.

First world problems and all that....

I know they're slower than a Zed in a straight line and probably on the track. In the real world, down a B-road there isn't that much in it. Track times aren't really that important to me, having fun is.

I would be going for a low miler, '13 plate for around the £17,800 mark. Wouldn't really have to spend much at all on top of the sale/trade price for my Zed.

Getting a 2nd car to track isn't really an option for me. I don't have the space. It would also end up being quite expensive after getting a suitable car and setting it up properly. Anything front wheel drive wouldn't really interest me much anyway. I had a Clio 200 before which I tracked, great fun but rear wheel drive is the way forward for me now.

I like the idea of having a car that does the daily duties but can then be thrashed round a track and driven back home at the end of the day (provided you haven't bent it :) ).

And as for wanting to sell the 370 because you can't handle its immense rwd power in winter; stop being ghey.

:lol: I'm perfectly capable of handling the immense power. What I'm trying to say is when you put your foot down in a Zed, you're going to pick up speed very quickly. As you know, when the roads are cold and wet, this can be dangerous. Therefore, I think I'll get frustrated pootling from A to B every day not using the car for what it was made for.

It's not dangerous, the zed has loads of traction / grip. Very much unlike the GT86 with its shopping trolley wheels (which is the whole point).

Modulate your right foot a bit!

Modulate your right foot a bit!

That's kind of my point. I will literally be pootling everywhere barely stretching the Zeds legs, not getting the most out of that car.

Why is this so bad ? Its not like you're going to have to " poot " around for 5 months solid of the year.

If you are purely considering going from a 370 to the 86 cos of a few track days I think you're bonkers. Have you done some track days in your 370 yet ?

If you were saying that you wanted to trade down from a daily driver stand point I'd understand a bit more - do think that was mentioned but the vibe the thread is giving off is its mainly track maintenance.

Ask yourself honestly...how phased by power are you? Dont get reeled in by reviews and others complaining its " underpowered " , as like others have mentioned that was never its forte'.

I can honestly see the appeal if im honest if its for a mix of the two reasons but ultimately do what will make YOU happy. Everyone will have different opinions. Go take a couple for a test drive and try to ask some owners for the 86. I have a huge soft spot for the 86 and I know I'd be happy if I went from my 350 to 86 but I havn't won the lottery.. and its probably very different from a 70 -> 86.

Just my two cents dont want you to feel like im beating on you or anything. Just write down or think about why you would p/x and what you would gain / lose.

Best of luck

Edited by SJ350z

I have a daily 370Z, that I track as much as time/money/tyres allows.

Which is about 4 times a year I suppose. Normally one in Europe (Spa + few ring trips) then 3 UK based circuits.

To try and put an answer to your question I say this;

For the remaining time you'll not be on track and driving here and there, I think the 370Z with is wafty engine and better interior would be a more pleasant place to be than the GT/BRZ.

I odn;t wear rose glasses either the 370Z is a million miles away from a perfect car or even my perfect car but I do like it. I don't like another car out there in my price bracket at the moment enough to go through the ass ache of changing it.

I came out of a £5K car on aftermarket coilovers(Ekona ;) ) that I used to track and after 3 years I got sick of looking like a dweeb on the road and climbing in and out of it, I wanted a car I could drive on track and not a track car to drive on a road.

That probably helps you nothing but I felt I was placed to comment.