Ice Bucket Challenge

ioneabee

Not really my thing, I don't even have Facebook I'm old but someone sent this to my mrs, made me chuckle

https://m.facebook.c...199098633470668

Parent of the year award nomination...

Doesn't look dubbed which makes it all the more sad....

I haven't watched it but if it was that toddler who swears like a navvy then I think it is really sad and, yes, what abysmal parents she must have :(

Meet the parents

B499DC8A-6F4D-4389-B857-DA621D936930_zpszwklg5bq.png

:lol:

What have Bob & Netti got to do with it :shrug:

"I am smoking a FAG!"

Lmao Dave!!!!!!

I'm sick of this fad, people are doing it for their own selfish gains to get likes on their videos and what not. I realise it's for the good of a charity but I'm bored to tears, the awareness of it has been raised now so no need for it to go on endlessly. This started in July...

Rant over.

• Like 1

I'm sick of this fad, people are doing it for their own selfish gains to get likes on their videos and what not. I realise it's for the good of a charity but I'm bored to tears, the awareness of it has been raised now so no need for it to go on endlessly. This started in July...

Rant over.

I only found out about this a couple of weeks ago, partly because I don't spend my life on Facebook or the internet. I was nominated by a friend who lives in another country who I no longer see so very grateful for the contact I have with him and for him to consider me. Chucking a bucket of water over my head to raise awareness and money for this charity or any charity for that matter is the least I can do to help those less fortunate. I am not capable of swimming the English Channel, climb a mountain, or sponsor me to run a marathon and there is no way you will push me out of a plane for love or money. At least this is something I can do, even if it is small in comparison to what some people do to raise money. So I did it, donated my fiver and hope it's helped someone less fortunate than me. I think if your sick of this, then you need to look at your priorities a bit if it's bugging you so much as I am sure there are many who are grateful to those who are chucking water over themselves and donating their fiver.

• Like 1

But the reason for the water throwing was to create awareness. Now everyone knows about it, there's no point and you might as well just donate the money, if you feel compelled to.

I've been nominated twice now. Thankfully, no-one has followed up on the nomination.

• Like 1

I think if your sick of this, then you need to look at your priorities a bit if it's bugging you so much as I am sure there are many who are grateful to those who are chucking water over themselves and donating their fiver.

I am with Daveyboy on this, my whole news feed on fb is filled with people chucking water over themselves, all in the name of charity, yeah right, all in the name of being an attention seeker and feeling peer pressure because you have been nominated.

Its great marketing and superb its earning money for charity and even awareness, i dont have to do this to donate money to charity though, which is where it will end for 99.9% of the people that do this.

Suddenly the worlds got a conscience and smugness that they have joined in, just donate monthly to a charity if you feel so strongly!!!!!

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 1

Oooooor, have a little fun but continuing to chuck ice cold water over people and nominating others to have a little fun also with the side affect of hopefully adding another few quid to the charity fund :D

But the reason for the water throwing was to create awareness. Now everyone knows about it, there's no point and you might as well just donate the money, if you feel compelled to.

I've been nominated twice now. Thankfully, no-one has followed up on the nomination.

Both my daughters were nominated today - and both got cold and wet :lol:

Bit of harmless fun and a few pennies to charity - can it really be that bad????

• Like 1

Both my daughters were nominated today - and both got cold and wet :lol:

Bit of harmless fun and a few pennies to charity - can it really be that bad????

No harm at all mate, just dropped in to local sainsburys and saw 2 people queuing up with bags of ice :lol: sad barstewards

Does everyone know about it though? I only found out this two weeks a go and my sisters at the weekend. Not everyone spends all day on Facebook.

The reason for the water is not awareness, it's part of the rules. Throw water over your head and donate £5 or don't and donate £100. It's a forfeit. The awareness has worked as the charity has raised in one day, one sixth of what they raise in the whole of 2013. Surely that's a good thing and if people are going to make fools of themselves for 30 seconds to raise money for a good cause then I can't really see any reason to complain.

I have to say I'm quite sad and disappointed in the way some people have reacted and commented on this subject

its money for a charity - whether you donate once or continuously thats your affair, but realy.............some of the vitreol is disturbing

• Like 1

I think if your sick of this, then you need to look at your priorities a bit if it's bugging you so much as I am sure there are many who are grateful to those who are chucking water over themselves and donating their fiver.

I am with Daveyboy on this, my whole news feed on fb is filled with people chucking water over themselves, all in the name of charity, yeah right, all in the name of being an attention seeker and feeling peer pressure because you have been nominated.

Its great marketing and superb its earning money for charity and even awareness, i dont have to do this to donate money to charity though, which is where it will end for 99.9% of the people that do this.

Suddenly the worlds got a conscience and smugness that they have joined in, just donate monthly to a charity if you feel so strongly!!!!!

As I have already said, in one day, the charity has raised one sixth of what they would raise in an entire year. If it is attention seeking then it's clearly working for the right reasons and shows your 99.9% figure of people not donating is a little out :)

I don't think the world has suddenly got a conscience, look at how popular race for life is, red nose day as well as the thousands of other events that happen day in day out to raise money. This is such a simple thing that pretty much everyone can contribute to it. I'm sure it will die down soon and your Facebook page will return to normality soon enough.

And I just cant get my head around a pathetic 7%, if you went into Dragons Den and told them your net profit was 7% you would get laughed out of there.

Yeah, that was back in 2012, the recent breakdown shows 28% going to research.

But what makes me wonder most is the amount that goes to "Other program activities"

That's a lot of cheese after research, admin fees and fundraising events

99FFBA05-AF91-428C-B9A1-278417D4FE36_zpszevydyvj.png

Edited by BulletMagnet

As I have already said, in one day, the charity has raised one sixth of what they would raise in an entire year. If it is attention seeking then it's clearly working for the right reasons and shows your 99.9% figure of people not donating is a little out :)

I don't think the world has suddenly got a conscience, look at how popular race for life is, red nose day as well as the thousands of other events that happen day in day out to raise money. This is such a simple thing that pretty much everyone can contribute to it. I'm sure it will die down soon and your Facebook page will return to normality soon enough.

I said 99.9% of the people who did the challenge wont donate until the next "challenge", you shouldnt need a challenge to donate, just donate regularly, its really easy ;)

i did an ice bucket challenge but did not donate to the charity. mine was to spread the word for the charity even if it has been plastered all over the world.

My reason for not donating and not donating money to other charities is that i donate blood as often as i can.

I would rather donate something i have endless amounts of, and be pretty positive that it is actually going to the people that need it or for research purposes!

• Like 1

I have to say I'm quite sad and disappointed in the way some people have reacted and commented on this subject

its money for a charity - whether you donate once or continuously thats your affair, but realy.............some of the vitreol is disturbing

Not really that bad, just people questioning it which is fair enough I think :shrug:

I donate every month to Macmillan because they helped me when I had cancer and I want to give something back. I don't give to any other charities and didn't want to do the 'challenge' as I wasn't going to donate, I could have just gone along with it but I chose not to.

As for the accounts mentioned etc I am always dubious of charities and where all the money goes but I am a cynical old fart I know that...

I said 99.9% of the people who did the challenge wont donate until the next "challenge", you shouldnt need a challenge to donate, just donate regularly, its really easy ;)

Where are you getting this figure of 99.9% from. What is your source of information?

Cancer Research which includes Race For Life which is a challenge raised £537 million last year. Do you honestly think they would earn as much if they dropped the Race For Life challenge and just relied on people donating off their backs?

Comic Relief which includes Red Nose Day has all manner of challenges and events that people do to raise money, throughout the year as well as on Red Nose Day. They even have a TV show on the day highlighting all the various challenges people are doing. They raised £610 million last year. You think they should drop this also.

Help for Heroes has raised £121 million, a lot of this is from challenges (bike rides, rugby matches, Motorsport etc) and other special events. Shall we just drop those and stick with the car window stickers and keep our fingers crossed.

Sorry but people like to feel involved and contribute. Things like this challenge, reward and change peoples lives giving them some purpose. Sponsoring a group of disabled kids to do an activity, sponsor someone to cycle across Britain with no arms or sight, swim the English Channel etc. Its all good as is the person who simply dips their hand in their pocket. To complain that it's upsetting their Facebook page is a bit cheap really.

Its a guesstimate based on the people I see that I know doing it who never donate. Do you donate regularly, should it take being nominated to do so, to any charity? Facebook is just an example, its everywhere.

I have not said the donations are not a great thing, i am just bored to tears of seeing it, just donate and stop the attention seeking.

Please dont preach about charities and the good they do, my family owes a lot to them, my father died when i was 3 of cancer, my uncle when i was 25, my cousin 4 years ago and my sister last year, my family inc me has given to cancel research and more recently macmillan for 40 years, my sister survived for 2.5 years because of the work they do, I dont need a prank/gimmick to donate.

• Like 2

Its a guesstimate based on the people I see that I know doing it who never donate. Do you donate regularly, should it take being nominated to do so, to any charity? Facebook is just an example, its everywhere.

I have not said the donations are not a great thing, i am just bored to tears of seeing it, just donate and stop the attention seeking.

Please dont preach about charities and the good they do, my family owes a lot to them, my father died when i was 3 of cancer, my uncle when i was 25, my cousin 4 years ago and my sister last year, my family inc me has given to cancel research and more recently macmillan for 40 years, my sister survived for 2.5 years because of the work they do, I dont need a prank/gimmick to donate.

:clap:

I wasn't preaching and I am sorry for your losses, but simply pointing out that if it takes a gimmick or a challenge to raise so much money for a charity and people feel compelled to join in, then it's clearly a good thing and a bit of fun. Judging by the amount they have raised in this campaign, then people have clearly been donating. If however some wish to simply donate, then this is equally admirable. There is no right or wrong way in my book. All my friends that I know who have taken part have followed up with the donate by texting a £5. My wife who won't do this as she doesn't want to make a fool of herself does do race for life a few times a year and has dragged her friends, aunts, mum etc to join in and have raised a nice chunk of money on their just giving pages.

Can I just ask an honest question.

Would everyone still be shitting their pants in fury about this if the same amount of people did the challenge but Facebook didn't exist.

Methinks not one **** would be given of that was the case

• Like 1

I kinda said my piece and backed out as I knew this might go the distance!

Having read through, seems to me that those that donate say once a year or less are the ones defending this - those that donate regularly seem against it.

From a charities point of view, yes its great to have your name all over social media and go viral, a nice short term boost, but its not those sorts of donations that will ensure that charity is still doing good stuff this time next year, the people that did the ice bucket challenge will have long gone and the charity will be a blip in the history of Facebook. Thats when they rely on the SMDs of this world to keep them going, just as they have done for years before. So I can see why people see some of the videos as something rather vain and quite hollow in terms of 'donating' - but like I said, a charity will never turn away money, its great to have a big boost.

Can I just ask an honest question.

Would everyone still be shitting their pants in fury about this if the same amount of people did the challenge but Facebook didn't exist.

Methinks not one **** would be given of that was the case

It would have been on MySpace instead, or Instagram, or Vine, or Twitter