Ice Bucket Challenge

ioneabee

Charities are a moral mystery to me, things like the air ambulance service and LOROS cancer care need charitable funds to run (pay people salaries), but surely these services should be state supported. People are happy to pay £5-10 to charity but how many people are happy to pay a extra 1-2% on income tax??

Research into diseases like ALS is incredibly complex, and not doubt extra funding will allow more research to be done, but actually any drug developed will like be so expensive that it will almost certainly not be available on the NHS. So is spending X amount on researching a rare disease better than spending the same amount on something more common like dementia?

Whilst at the same time virtually every single hospital I have worked at is short staffed and struggle to deliver the best treatments due to resource constants. So what's the point of developing new treatments when we already struggle to fund basic clinical care??

The point is we all have opinions, but at the end of the day we're all hypocrites, it's called been human. I never trust anyone who thinks they know everything.

For me raising awareness for any charity is a good thing, but for me I really cannot see how tipping cold water on your self is any form of a challenge....Infact some of my crazy mates jump in ice cold baths regularly post training runs. But if people want to do it why not?? The whole wasting water thing is a joke, in the west we waste so much water/food/fuel compared to the rest of world it's beyond belief....

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1

I never trust anyone who thinks they know everything.

Aw man, I thought we were friends :(

If we, as a country, spent a few years holding back the donations we gave to other countries and the less important charities (awful term, but you know what I mean) and put that cash into the state coffers for the NHS, I believe we could pretty much get it completely sorted. Assuming, of course, we had the people in place to manage it properly.

Which we don't.

The whole wasting water thing is a joke, in the west we waste so much water/food/fuel compared to the rest of world it's beyond belief....

Unfortunately that's nature tho and how life has panned out, No matter if we all did ice bucket challenges every day the water would still remain in our water tables, if we don't use it it doesn't magically channel down to them and even if it did it would end up back with us, by the natural ecosystem

I also got nominated, but as I look at facepack about once a week sometimes less I only noticed it yesterday and in the intervening 5 days since nomination I have had messages giving me grief for not doing it.

A. I give to charity because I want to and to the charity I want to and I do it when I want - this is not dictated to me by someone else who only gives 5 quid once every decade to a charity they know bugger all or care one jot about

B. Why is it that every person who goes on facebook ten times a day assumes everyone else does and also think that everyone else is so bound by its unwritten peer pressure rules

:lol: :boxing:

Edited by coldel

I also got nominated, but as I look at facepack about once a week sometimes less I only noticed it yesterday and in the intervening 5 days since nomination I have had messages giving me grief for not doing it.

A. I give to charity because I want to and to the charity I want to and I do it when I want - this is not dictated to me by someone else who only gives 5 quid once every decade to a charity they know bugger all or care one jot about

B. Why is it that every person who goes on facebook ten times a day assumes everyone else does and also think that everyone else is so bound by its unwritten peer pressure rules

:lol: :boxing:

:clap: seems like it has peaked now anyway thankfully.... just people trying to find even wackier zany ways now :lol:

Shame the camel toe selfie challenge didn't take off in the same way :(