Ice Bucket Challenge

ioneabee

I don't need to tip a bucket of water over my head, I donate to the charities of my choice every week from my salary :)

ah, but the original point to the challenge was that the flush of ice cold water is only a moment of what the ALS sufferers feel all the time with their jangling nerve problems

but I whole heartedly aggree with the fork challenge :thumbs:

I don't need to tip a bucket of water over my head, I donate to the charities of my choice every week from my salary :)

ah, but the original point to the challenge was that the flush of ice cold water is only a moment of what the ALS sufferers feel all the time with their jangling nerve problems

but I whole heartedly aggree with the fork challenge :thumbs:

Ok how about I stab you in the eyes with the fork to feel what it is to be blind.....

I have neuropathy so I already know a little about nerve damage ;)

Not knocking anyone that has donated but to me personally I find it all just a little stomach churning really...

• Like 1

Sad thing about this I think is all the A, B, C etc list celebs that jump on the band wagon purely for their own selfish gains in popularity. Some of whom I've read haven't even donated to the ALS.

Fair play to those though that have done it & more importantly donated. :thumbs:

Going to play the bad guy here, I am with SMD find this sort of thing wrong. That people are doing it not because they want to donate to charity, but more interested in just sticking a video on Facebook showing them getting doused in water. I wonder how many people would do it if they got doused in water but didn't post it on Facebook? None? Maybe, at a guess. Pick a charity that means something to you, donate regularly not just a one off, get no social media kudos...fair play if you want to, but shame that it takes social media peer pressure to do it.

...flame suit on :lol:

• Like 2

You're missing the point! If there was no challenge, you could knock 2 zero's off what the charity will make this year. Some people may see it as stupid and those who have partaken in the challenge as needing erased from the gene pool or however you wish to put it. But, all these videos are giving more exposure than any adverts ever could. I'm willing to bet that 99+% of the developed world have now heard of this ALS charity.

If you don't want to donate or don't want to throw some water over your head, then thats fine, but whether you like it or not, it's marketing genius and it's bagging ALS research more money than they ever dreamed of. If this charity developed something to help these poor suffering people even the tiniest bit, then all this will be worth it. :)

• Like 5

Going to play the bad guy here, I am with SMD find this sort of thing wrong. That people are doing it not because they want to donate to charity, but more interested in just sticking a video on Facebook showing them getting doused in water. I wonder how many people would do it if they got doused in water but didn't post it on Facebook? None? Maybe, at a guess. Pick a charity that means something to you, donate regularly not just a one off, get no social media kudos...fair play if you want to, but shame that it takes social media peer pressure to do it.

...flame suit on :lol:

When I was nominated I thought about it then realised I didn't actually give a toss about ALS, sorry but true. I have a sister with MS and I have had Cancer, that will do me for my charitable donations.

Therefore I would only be doing it to make a silly video and to nominate some other people to make a silly video too :shrug:

• Like 3

You're missing the point! If there was no challenge, you could knock 2 zero's off what the charity will make this year. Some people may see it as stupid and those who have partaken in the challenge as needing erased from the gene pool or however you wish to put it. But, all these videos are giving more exposure than any adverts ever could. I'm willing to bet that 99+% of the developed world have now heard of this ALS charity.

If you don't want to donate or don't want to throw some water over your head, then thats fine, but whether you like it or not, it's marketing genius and it's bagging ALS research more money than they ever dreamed of. If this charity developed something to help these poor suffering people even the tiniest bit, then all this will be worth it. :)

See this is my issue with 'charity' there is a fine line between doing good anonomously or making a big show & dance and saying look at me and what I am doing for charity.

A lot of 'celebrities' do some great work without being in the public eye, some others do some great public work with a charity sideline...

Then if anyone questions it the 'look at the starving children' or 'sufferers' quote is brought out and people are shamed... it's a fine line that's all I am saying.

As for raising awareness, I admit I have watched many many hilarious ice bucket videos, but only one has mentioned charity and that was Charlie Sheen's bucket of money one. Every other one is just 'this is my challenge, I nominate a,b & c..... Ahhhhhhhhh 'look at me' how is that raising awareness of anything :shrug:

Edited by spursmaddave

although im a cycnical ****er and it was found out only 7% in 2012 of ALS income went to research and 10% went to wages

but i guess the its the way you look at it that changes you, 7% of a million compared with 7% of 80 million,

My sister has a case called Wolfram syndrome aka DIDMOAD, which basically given here diabetes and is making her more blind every day and a life expectancy of about 40, i would love to see the research going into this but as im guessing maybe 1-5 people on this entire forum might have heard of it. so about the same amount into donation and research is given

http://youtu.be/KTMK18JVIZs

• Like 1

don't disagree with any of the above (the yays or the nays) - I did it from peer pressure :wacko: and my kids had a bit of fun at my expense and the charity had a fiver off me that they wouldn't have gotten otherwise

• Like 1

See this is my issue with 'charity' there is a fine line between doing good anonomously or making a big show & dance and saying look at me and what I am doing for charity.

A lot of 'celebrities' do some great work without being in the public eye, some others do some great public work with a charity sideline...

Then if anyone questions it the 'look at the starving children' or 'sufferers' quote is brought out and people are shamed... it's a fine line that's all I am saying.

As for raising awareness, I admit I have watched many many hilarious ice bucket videos, but only one has mentioned charity and that was Charlie Sheen's bucket of money one. Every other one is just 'this is my challenge, I nominate a,b & c..... Ahhhhhhhhh 'look at me' how is that raising awareness of anything :shrug:

But celebrities are a tiny part of all this, if 100 of them have done it, 100,000 of us mere mortals have done it. This is 100 times better than those stupid adverts on tv (which cost a fortune) that everyone ignores because they are bored with the starving kids thing. Everyone knows its happening and if you've not donated by now you're not likely too. This is a new fresh idea and not only that, it's free, it's fun and every time someone see's one of these hilarious videos, they know it's for ALS.

To criticise this whole craze at the moment is pathetic, if it works, it's worth it :thumbs: The only think worth critising is MacMillan jumping on the bandwagon and taking (read stealing) money from the ALS research.

• Like 1

although im a cycnical ****er and it was found out only 7% in 2012 of ALS income went to research and 10% went to wages

but i guess the its the way you look at it that changes you, 7% of a million compared with 7% of 80 million,

My sister has a case called Wolfram syndrome aka DIDMOAD, which basically given here diabetes and is making her more blind every day and a life expectancy of about 40, i would love to see the research going into this but as im guessing maybe 1-5 people on this entire forum might have heard of it. so about the same amount into donation and research is given

http://youtu.be/KTMK18JVIZs

I'm sorry about your sister, I really am, but this is how ALS was 3 months ago, no one had heard of it. We in the UK know of it as motor neuron disease but even then, no one knows of any charity for it. Hopefully in the near future a charity for Wolfram can come up with some marketing genius like this and raise some serious dough :)

Your other point about the 7% going to research, I think this is more about having overheads. If your over heads are $83,000 a year, then if you pull in $100,000 then you've only got 7% going to research, but if you make $1,000,000 then you've got the same overheads but 92% going into research :)

My point was more that people are doing this to get a bucket over head video on facebook, and donating to a charity they know little about or have any reason to donate to - how many will continue to donate? I give to a particular charity regularly after something happened to a very close friend of mine, I do it anonymously and without any expectation of a pat on the back. I'm no saint for doing this but I find the point of these things gets lost with those looking to do it because they want their 15 minutes of fame for doing so. I wonder how many people would have bucketed themselves if they had to commit say a tenner a month ongoing?

But like I say, fair play to the charity that started it, a nice boost in income, and nice to remind people that such a small amount of money donated can make a big difference.

My point was more that people are doing this to get a bucket over head video on facebook, and donating to a charity they know little about or have any reason to donate to - how many will continue to donate?

you cant hink them getting a one of donation of i dunno £3 from couple million people that they wouldn't have got if people didn't video it is a bad thing, whether or not the people in the videos are doing for the charity or show off themselves the charity is the one winning here surely, which at the end of the day it the goal?

also im going to be that guy you say you do it anonymously yet have tried to make people who donate once look bad by trying to flaunt you do it every month? so are you just not another step up the ladder?

Edited by StevoD

A one off donation to charity is all well and good, but it's the repeated donations that help more than anything. As any business will tell you, if you have a guaranteed income you can budget far better than if you get the odd one-off big payment here and there. It's why the only charity I donate to gets a monthly sum, rather than a token bit here or there from me.

It's different for things like the Poppy Appeal, who do an annual fundraiser and kinda know when all their cash is coming in. For all the spectacular sums of money that ALS/MND charities are getting, they will have no plans for this and we may not get as much benefit out of it as you would think. Medical research is frightfully expensive, and IMHO a lot of this money could be better spent on palliative care for those sadly afflicted.

• Like 1