Are Michelins less fun?

ECG1000

I've currently got the OEM Bridgestones on my 370. The time is fast approaching when they'll need replacing.

A lot of people on here rave about Michelin Pilot Super Sports being a better option because they are grippier.

This is all well and good but I don't want to loose the movement I get out of the Bridgestones. I'm not talking about massive drifts, just the odd flair coming out of quiet 2nd gear corners etc.

To put it bluntly: Am I going to be able to skid as much if I go for Michelins?

If not sliding and smash your car is less fun... then yes they're less fun. :lol:

I have bridgestones and went to mpss straight after. There isnt that big a difference, they're just that bot better. I really noticed the difference in the wet.

That's what I don't want to get into.

Similar to the GT86 mantra with the Prius tyres (but not quite as extreme), you can get a bit of movement from relatively low speeds. I don't want something that's even more grippy requiring you to be going faster to break traction.

I run the mpss tyres and it drifts no problem. Mine even breaks out in straight line acceleration in the dry. Imo they are not as awesome as everyone makes out and you can get just as much performance from cheaper tyres. And mine have only lasted 4 months but that's probably my own fault for having a heavy foot

• Like 3

I run the mpss tyres and it drifts no problem. Mine even breaks out in straight line acceleration in the dry. Imo they are not as awesome as everyone makes out and you can get just as much performance from cheaper tyres. And mine have only lasted 4 months but that's probably my own fault for having a heavy foot

What would you recommend then ? Since you mentioned other tyres.

On a side note, I am new to the Z platform, noticed when the traction control kicks in, it is as if the car comes to an almost halt. I remember driving my brothers MX 5 and his traction control was not as aggressive.

4 Months is good work, I've had mine 4 months and done approx 5k miles and 18-20 laps of Snettoerton and plenty of thread left approx >6mm. In the dry I did not see a massive difference between the old ditch finders and the MPSS, but there was quiet a difference in the wet.

• Like 1

If not sliding and smash your car is less fun... then yes they're less fun. :lol:

I have bridgestones and went to mpss straight after. There isnt that big a difference, they're just that bot better. I really noticed the difference in the wet.

So having anything but Michelin causes you to skid and crash, how interesting

• Like 1

NOOOOO YOU WILL AWAKEN THE MPSS DRAGONS

Edited by StevoD
  • Like 1

NOOOOO YOU WILL AWAKEN THE MPSS DRAGONS

They're all in bed drinking cocoa :lol:

The mpss are amazing I found they make me kick the back out more as there is a big difference in the way they slide feels lot more controled although u have to push the car harder to kick the bk out defo not any less fun and if u get them spinning they smoke well too :D

Put 18k on RE050s and 7k on MPSS now and while I feel that the 050s are slightly under-rated the MPSS are quieter and grippier in the wet. I like the 050 for their consistency however - I've noticed the MPSS tend to change characteristics more as they heat up and cool down. We shouldn't forget that the car was designed for the Bridgestone compound and to me the way it handles (particularly with traction control off) is simply more "cohesive" than with the MPSS. However the latter are more "communicative" in general perhaps due to softer sidewalls but given how dull the 350z steering is you really have to be concentrating to notice the difference. Anyway in conclusion I'd get MPSS again simply because they're quieter on the motorway :)

Get your alignment checked, it shouldnt be breaking traction in the dry, certainly not with MPSS on. Youre entitled to your opinion but the MPSS and RE050A perform considerably better than cheaper alternatives, thats why people pay more money for them .......... ;)

4 months is nothing as well ;)