Are Michelins less fun?

ECG1000

911s are notoriously marmite cars, either you get on with driving what is essentially a pendulum and learn the right technique, or you forever wonder why anyone likes them. My only Porsche experience is when I had run of a friend's boxster to keep it running while he was away for 6 months. Definitely an incredibly well balanced car that was phenomenally easy to drive fast. Doesn't help me know personally what the 911 is like to drive of course, but I consider myself a true enthusiast and I have a lot of love for Porsche.

For me as a driver who simply wants the greatest challenge, a Porsche 911 Turbo is still one of my dream cars, I relish the challenge of driving it right.

Going back to the (2014?) OP, yes, fitting sticky tyres does ruin the fun. It's that simple. But that's why we replace them, would you rather have easy powerslides, but end up going backwards into a hedge one day? Or unbelievable grip on demand, higher limits and less slidy-slidy? Your choice.

Edited by Aashenfox

Super-sticky semi slicks? Yes, I agree. But we're just talking about regular road tyres. In no way would a car on equivalents from Michelin and Avon be having any less fun on the Avons. They'd just be going slower on more rubbish tyres :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all. Just to let you know I got the hankook ventus s1 evo2 's and really not impressed so far. Soft sidewalls mean it now feels very flighty and slow to respond, to any inputs, especially at speed. A lot worse than the p zeros that were on it! Anyone else had bad experiences with hankooks? I'm going to change them as soon as I can

Hi all. Just to let you know I got the hankook ventus s1 evo2 's and really not impressed so far. Soft sidewalls mean it now feels very flighty and slow to respond, to any inputs, especially at speed. A lot worse than the p zeros that were on it! Anyone else had bad experiences with hankooks? I'm going to change them as soon as I can

How odd...

Hard to find a bad review about them anywhere..

How many miles have you done on them ?

How odd...

Hard to find a bad review about them anywhere..

How many miles have you done on them ?

About 100 miles so far, pretty sure I've pulled off the greasy layer now. They stick like glue with traction control off (?) , but with it on it restricts so much I don't really know why (its not losing traction). The characteristics of the car have completely changed and I've only changed rears, I've lost so much confidence with it

About 100 miles so far, pretty sure I've pulled off the greasy layer now. They stick like glue with traction control off (?) , but with it on it restricts so much I don't really know why (its not losing traction). The characteristics of the car have completely changed and I've only changed rears, I've lost so much confidence with it

Do you still have the old P Zeroes on the front?

Yeah i'll see if they bed in over next few hundred miles, sorry Potenzas on the front not P-Zero. They're on the low side which is why the slip light is coming on all the time. But didn't think that'd effect the swaying effect when turning slightly at speed. Will sell the part worn I reckon soon and go back to stock tyres

What you're feeling it mostly the balance of the car having changed with new boots on the back. Essentially you've shifted grip rearwards by a huge margin, so you now have tons of grip on the rear which is giving you the confidence to lean on them, but the fronts now have much less grip in comparison to before so you're feeling the horrible effects of understeer.

Changing the fronts to match the rears will cure this, and then you can decide whether or not to change from Hankooks back to something else. Definitely worth exploring tyre pressures though, as has been said they will benefit massively from a couple of psi over standard pressures. :)

I'd have thought that in the dry, it'd be the opposite? As nearer slicks are more grippy? Or is it down to the newer tyre being softer (as its newer)? I'm certainly going to find a tougher sidewall next, mpss or back to the originals as that's what the Z's were tuned for I guess.

Proper racing slicks are grippy, road tyres that are worn down to slicks are utterly useless ;) New tyres have more tread, and that's what gives the vast majority of the grip. Easy as that.

No point buying the RE050A any more, not when you can get MPS4S for the 370. Well, unless you're really felt very happy on the 050As, as they're certainly decent enough tyres.

MPS4S are better than the MPS4, which are better than the MPSS, which are better than the 050A. Given you're already running mismatched, you might as well go all in and get the best you can :thumbs:

How much is left on the fronts btw? Generally you should be changing tyres at 3mm, don't leave it until you hit the 1.6mm wear markers.

MPS4 all round not an option? Would be better.

MPS4S maybe, where you heard that the MPS4 is better though, I read its less performance focused than the MPSS was.

Also, pressures are just as important as compound, this should probably be incorporated into the future 350Z-uk tyre advice/paranoia ;)

Speaking to Center Gravity, who I trust almost implicitly. The MPS4 is a multi-compound tyre which gives similar benefits as the MPSC2/MPS4S rather than the dual-compound MPSS. I queried it with them too, but they reckon the MPS4 are definitely better than the MPSS, even on track.

• Like 1

Speaking to Center Gravity, who I trust almost implicitly. The MPS4 is a multi-compound tyre which gives similar benefits as the MPSC2/MPS4S rather than the dual-compound MPSS. I queried it with them too, but they reckon the MPS4 are definitely better than the MPSS, even on track.

I'm in centre gravity on Friday for a full day

I can't wait to see what they do for my car

Also on Bridgestones for now untill they are worn out then I'll go with the new Michelin