Are Michelins less fun?

ECG1000

I run the mpss tyres and it drifts no problem. Mine even breaks out in straight line acceleration in the dry. Imo they are not as awesome as everyone makes out and you can get just as much performance from cheaper tyres. And mine have only lasted 4 months but that's probably my own fault for having a heavy foot

Get your alignment checked, it shouldnt be breaking traction in the dry, certainly not with MPSS on. Youre entitled to your opinion but the MPSS and RE050A perform considerably better than cheaper alternatives, thats why people pay more money for them .......... ;)

4 months is nothing as well ;)

I had my alignment done and it wasn't much out at all. Remember im running 400 odd hp through them. I also am partial to a bit of drifting

I going to stick with the factory setup, got used to it now.

Do the actual tyres themselves have a stamp on or are you just talking about the website?

cant remember the symbol but on jag approved tyres they have a little j in a circle on them. Nissan possibly is a little N in a circle. Some one on here will know.

I run the mpss tyres and it drifts no problem. Mine even breaks out in straight line acceleration in the dry. Imo they are not as awesome as everyone makes out and you can get just as much performance from cheaper tyres. And mine have only lasted 4 months but that's probably my own fault for having a heavy foot

What would you recommend then ? Since you mentioned other tyres.

On a side note, I am new to the Z platform, noticed when the traction control kicks in, it is as if the car comes to an almost halt. I remember driving my brothers MX 5 and his traction control was not as aggressive.

I recommend vredistien ultrac vorti and yokohama advan v105 as a alternative to MPSS.

Both these tyres are supposed to be really good going by other forums on cars like RS4 and M3's

I recommend vredistien ultrac vorti and yokohama advan v105 as a alternative to MPSS.

Both these tyres are supposed to be really good going by other forums on cars like RS4 and M3's

Im sorry, but this is a pet hate of mine - how can you recommend something you havent tried for yourself?

• 2 weeks later...

On a side note, I am new to the Z platform, noticed when the traction control kicks in, it is as if the car comes to an almost halt. I remember driving my brothers MX 5 and his traction control was not as aggressive.

I ordered some AD08s recently and when I turned up they'd got the v105s in... Told them to sod off and send them back. :shrug:

• 2 weeks later...

My friend runs them on his evo 411bhp he loves the vredistien

• 2 years later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread, just that I've the same concerns as OP! I want a good deal of playfulness on back so I don't need to feel I have to push it as hard. Had recommendations of the Falkens 510s, is this a good compromise ?

510s are shopping trolley tyres, just no.

Not sure what else I've written in this thread, but there's a misconception that more grip = less fun. Part of the reason the MPSS are so good is that they give you bags of feedback, which encourages you to play with the rear end knowing you're under full control of what is going on. Sure, they'll slip less than a Linglong, but they'll also tell you when they're slipping which is just as important.

Vredesteinn Ultrac Sessanta used to be the pinnacle of feedback, but they're now sadly gone. Nope, the MPSS is still where it's at, cannot comment on feedback from MPS4/S but I'd be surprised if they're any worse.

They are though. No-one who has put them on has found them to be anything other than awesome, and certainly they're a billion times better than any runflats.

If you want to buy a cheaper tyre that's fine, but don't kid yourself it's a patch on the MPSS/MPS4/MPS4S.

Assuming you're on a 370 as the 350 didn't come with runflats, the 19" MPS4S are the things to be wearing this year.

I have ran pilot sports on my M cars and on a 911 i had..

Yes they are good,but they get battered in at the same rate as a Vred,Avon,Hankook or anything else out there...

Im not convinced they are worth the money,most costly doesnt mean the best..

The Bridgestones are crap,they have nothing going for them so anything must be an improvement..

Edited by Alpinaman

I've heard that Michelins turn you into a less fun person :p

Then they make you buy a Porsche, which leads down a really slippery slope :D

I've heard that Michelins turn you into a less fun person :p

well they would do that they are French

PS2 I assume on the Pork and BMWs? What cars, that doesn't exactly narrow them down! :lol:

Tbh if you've tried all those others and can't tell any difference between a set of Hankooks a set of MPSS then you might as well buy the cheapest. MPSS not even the most expensive anyway, but even if they were so what? They'll give you more miles, more feedback, more dry grip, more wet grip, and sadly also more road noise (which is their one downside).

What Bridgestones? World of difference between models, it's like saying you drive a Nissan: Could be a Micra, could be a GT-R.

The only thing keeping you in contact with the road is the tyres, they're THE most important thing to get right as they affect handling, steering, braking, acceleration etc. You absolutely must get it right, else you could ruin your car very quickly.

I shall consider myself told off...

And im sure you can exploit the full potential of a tyre in every situation,whereas i obviously cant ..

But being a Porsche enthusiast i wouldnt expect anything else but a supercilious attitude from someone who thinks the badge is the most important aspect...

Sorry, wasn't trying to tell you off :lol: It's not about driving at 10/10, it's the fun driving at 8/10 where the the difference is really felt.

The one thing I've consistently said to everyone on here over the last nine years is that badge is the thing that matters to me the least. To assume that all Porker fans buy them because of that alone just brings you down to the level of the people you're judging, no?

Maybe...

But the reality is not as good as the myth. I have only had 996's and a 997,and both fall way short for what they offer for the money,all IMHO of course..

Porsche never bring anything to the table,no new tech,no new design.

Some are lovely to look at,but the price tag for what you get is ridiculous...

Ekona is being very polite, Im less so - youre talking rubbish.

Greater levels of grip and feedback should be obvious to any driver, more so if you venture out on track at any point and I dont understand this badge thing - Michelin make the best tyres, full stop, its nothing to do with the name written down the side, Bridgestone are very good too.

As for the Porsche bit, Im at a loss - the 911 isnt to my personal taste but theres no denying its an amazing bit of engineering, the Cayman has invariably been descried as one of the best handling roadcars since it came out, the 918 is in the holy trinity of hypercars.

No new tech? GT3's are THE fastest track cars in each new iteration, full stop. No new design? Look at the latest engines and what they are achieving, I would mention the fact that they have caned WEC since they came back too but thats a bit different from the streetcars.

And Im not particularly a Porsche fan :lol:

Edited by docwra

Just catching up on this thread, I can give a big tick on the Vreds Vorti's - they were on a deal I snapped up on one of the usual tyre websites £54 per corner (sorry chaps but that's narrower wheels for you!) I think - for my driving style and the car absolutely spot on, slapped down about 3500 miles on them in around 18 months now. I have felt them a little twitchy out of corners in the wet but otherwise ok - my car is AWD and a little bit older though and imagine the experience is somewhat different to a modern Zed. MPSS generally get in the top three in most reviews that happen, so are pretty good, if you go for something else premium/high end mid range you will only end up in a ditch if you put it there.

If I would say one thing to anyone, just avoid Pirellis like the plague. There is nothing they do that is not beaten by every other competitor. Horrible tyres.

So which 996/997 did you have, Alpinaman? Gearbox? Who did your setup?

As Docwra says, it's a good job they didn't invent the dual clutch gearbox, or have the most successful racing engine of all time, and the most successful racing chassis, and are class leading in bring RWS back to the masses, or ensuring that performance cars fans still have manual 'boxes to look forward to, or in the days of downsizing turbo lumps are still offering 9000rpm 500bhp 4L NA engines.

So what was so bad about the 996 that made you go and buy a 997? ;):lol:

Oh man, look I admit I have a hardon for Porsche's but they are bloody good cars. The 718 just have a dull engine but I've not driven the manual nor a PSE equipped one yet, and in terms of pure fun I found the 991.2 C2S to be a match for a 458. Or course I'd pick the Fezza out of the two, but it costs twice as much.

• Like 1

I had a few different models of 996

The C4S being the "best"... just had the lowly C2 in 997 as I thought it was a improved car but sadly it wasn't much better ..

Audi invented the dual clutch gearbox, I do realise that they own porsche now..but like much else,the tech was robbed and put into the Porsche... it's a decent box with a low failure rate but I would still have a manual over it anyway...

I do my own set up ..

Docwra...

What so great about the latest engines? What new tech has been introduced that hasn't been in a road car before ?

Let's jut hope that they can hold themselves together for a bit instead of crapping themselves on the side of the road and leaving the owners with 5 figure bills

I'm not saying they are a bad car, just not worth the money...

As an aside I much prefer how the Cayman drives to a 911, but that could just be driving style..

Anyway... we are skewing of course rather wildly, let's just say I am not a fan of the marque, I always was until I owned them.

But I haven't owned any of the new generation stuff, and I do like the new Cayman just not with the 4 cylinder in..

I will own one I guess,then see if that makes up for the years of disappointment

Latest engines? Which, the hybrid in the Panamera that delivers 516 lb/ft at 1100rpm, the 500hp 4.0 N/A that revs to 9K in the GT3 or the 718 lump thats doing 150hp/litre in standard form?

Im not saying they are for everyone (Id have one if I thought that) but never bringing anything to the table is a bit harsh, they have been top or near top of the performance game for 60 odd years now.

Edited by docwra

956 and 962 saw the DCT before Audi.

I don't get how someone so competent to do their own setup on their cars (hell, I couldn't which is why i take it to places like CG!) can't understand the huge differences between comparable tyres in the Avon and Michelin ranges, for example.