Darren-B's 1971 240z Project Pumpkin Major UPDATE P48

Darren-B

Good luck with the M.O.T.

With regards the wiring loom, can you buy a replacement one or will you make your own. It was one of the things I never budgeted for but soon realised it was essential. Most of it fell apart as I stripped it out. Makes sense really and it's piece of mind.

With regards the wiring loom, can you buy a replacement one or will you make your own. It was one of the things I never budgeted for but soon realised it was essential. Most of it fell apart as I stripped it out. Makes sense really and it's piece of mind.

I'm slowly building a list of all the wire, connectors & relays I need. I'll be making a new loom from scratch

I'm slowly building a list of all the wire, connectors & relays I need. I'll be making a new loom from scratch

Knew that would happen :):thumbs:

Well had a couple of hours to myself this evening. After driving the car properly on the road today I discovered a couple of issues that I hadn't identified when I tested the car on a little industrial estate before I bought it.

a: the front left shock is a little tired, no problem will just change out the pair of fronts, probably all 4 tbh

b: the clutch is slipping a little when under full load in 4th,

So had a look under the car when on the ramp & discovered that there was a little oil weeping from the bell housing, done a sniff check to discover that it was engine oil over gearbox oil. so immediately put it down to the real oil seal on the crank shaft. After a quick google search I was relieved that the seal could be changed without stripping down the engine, but nearly removing the flywheel & extracting the weak & replacing.

So I went about doing that this afternoon. Got the car over the pit & within 30 mins had the gear box out

Prop shaft & gear knob removed

2014-08-02_23-57-10.jpeg

2014-08-02_23-58-52.jpeg

Then removed the gearbox

2014-08-02_23-59-47.jpeg

No where near as heavy as a 350 or 370 box :)

But completely smothered in oil

2014-08-03_00-01-52.jpeg

2014-08-03_00-04-14.jpeg

Discovered that the clutch was fairly new

2014-08-03_00-00-45.jpeg

but again covered in oil

2014-08-03_00-03-11.jpeg

2014-08-03_00-03-32.jpeg

Had some fun removing the flywheel. The bolts were tighter than the crank pulley bolt so I had to improvise with a steel plate bolted to the fly & some wood to stop the engine rocking on its mounts after the impact air gun not even tickling the bolts

2014-08-03_00-05-45.jpeg

After finally removing the flywheel I found that the rear oil seal wasn't the cause of my slipping clutch. The seal was dry but it was the sump that was leaking oil onto the the clutch assembly

2014-08-03_00-12-04.jpeg

Backing plate

2014-08-03_00-12-38.jpeg

So went about removing the sump

2014-08-03_00-13-31.jpeg

There's something about a straight six :cloud9:

2014-08-03_00-14-13.jpeg

Sump removed

2014-08-03_00-15-14.jpeg

Then a quick clean

2014-08-03_00-16-53.jpeg

2014-08-03_00-17-33.jpeg

2014-08-03_00-18-11.jpeg

Flywheel de-greased & cleaned

2014-08-03_00-19-04.jpeg

Clutch disc cleaned & de-greased

2014-08-03_00-19-57.jpeg

Plate cleaned & de-greased

2014-08-03_00-20-39.jpeg

Then the flywheel re-installed

2014-08-03_00-21-23.jpeg

Clutch cleaned & ready to go back in

2014-08-03_00-21-59.jpeg

Clutch back in & re-aligned, take not of the sophisticated alignment control with the use of a grinder blade ;)

2014-08-03_00-24-25.jpeg

Then I got the gearbox back in & it was time to go for a couple of beers.

Will get the car back together tomorrow & hopefully take it up the road to see if I've solved the clutch slipping issue

Edit: drunk punctuation & spelling corrected :blush:

Edited by Darren-B
  • Like 6

That's what I was thinking Dave I'm jealous of guys with this much know how

This is like watching wheeler dealers :lol:

I guess some people just have a knack for it and are good at it, I'm sure we both have different talents :lol:

You are both special in your own beautiful ways :)

• Like 1

Will the friction plate be ok as its been contaminated with oil?

Hopefully, it will burn off in time

I cleaned everything with a de-greaser & then soaked the whole lot (fly & clutch assembly) in cellulose thinners for about 2 hours. Then sanded all the surfaces with a 600grit paper. It seems ok from the limited test I've done today. If not `i'll get a new one.

I'll probably replace all the consumable parts including gearbox & engine seals in the re-build. Just want to drive the car for a while first, so hopefully this has solved it. If not it's got to be better than it was.

• Like 1

Clarkie (White Zed) sent me to this very thread to sign up. I've just bought a 240z and undertaking a very similar project!

I'll be watching with interest! :)

Mines a stock 1970 240z 4 speed manual cali import.

• Like 1