Darren-B's 1971 240z Project Pumpkin Major UPDATE P48

Darren-B

Clarkie (White Zed) sent me to this very thread to sign up. I've just bought a 240z and undertaking a very similar project!

I'll be watching with interest! :)

Mines a stock 1970 240z 4 speed manual cali import.

Welcome and let's see some pics :)

Clarkie (White Zed) sent me to this very thread to sign up. I've just bought a 240z and undertaking a very similar project!

Welcome along :wave: are you a member on the Zclub? How do you know Pete? Would be nice to see your car. Do you have it UK registered yet?

Welcome along :wave: are you a member on the Zclub? How do you know Pete? Would be nice to see your car. Do you have it UK registered yet?

I'm an Aberdeen car friend, i'll start a new thread in here so I dont clog your thread up :)

So whilst waiting for my mate to arrive in his broken Astra I pulled the rear Z badges off to see what it was going to take to clean them up

2014-08-04_23-13-58.jpeg

Got the electric toothbrush out & a couple of mins later it looked like this :teeth:

Boom.....didn't even need paint or polish

2014-08-04_23-06-19.jpeg

Then that was Z time over, my mate turned up in his Astra making an almighty racket. Another gearbox job for me the weekend :shrug:

Edited by Darren-B
  • Like 1

I've been reading this from the start but just realised I haven't posted yet.

I'm very jealous of these 240/260z projects as it's something I've wanted to do for a long time.

The first car I ever fell in love with was my Dad's '78 260z when I was a nipper. Without doubt, that was made me a petrolhead.

Good to see your doing one Darren, as others have said, you'll do it right and do it justice I'm sure. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Thanks guys,

Just ordered a load more parts from the US this evening :ninja:

Also have now received most of the electrical bits & pieces ready for the re-wire next year & on the hunt for a half decent used MIG but they seem to be selling at nigh on new prices, so will probably bite the bullet & get a new one.

Remember not to skimp on the helmet as well. Auto dimming with fast reaction time and adjustable delay.

Already have all the gear but not a very powerful MIG, it's fine for thin repair stuff but has a low duty cycle when you crank up the amperage

Quick update:

So stripped out the rear interior the other day

2014-08-13_23-09-45.jpeg

2014-08-13_23-10-56.jpeg

Looking a bit yellow & discoloured with age

2014-08-13_23-11-55.jpeg

So after a gentle rub down & clean with some alcohol based solvent I gave them a refresh

2014-08-13_23-17-29.jpeg

2014-08-13_23-18-04.jpeg

Before & after

2014-08-13_23-18-25.jpeg

Need to make a replacement panel for the boot lid as it's warped & has a tear in the vinyl.

Need to re-fix the chrome strips & awaiting for some new white panel rivets (blinking hard to come by)

Still a bit disappointed that I haven't found any rust holes yet :surrender: