World Cup chat

LRF4N

A pal of mine just came up with this:- "To be fair, Hodgson has fulfilled his target. He said that his England would emulate Spain, and he's achieved it, they can share the same plane home and marvel in their success."

Had to chuckle.

• Like 1

Need to catch my breath after that!

That was a great game in the making- 2 capable teams both desperate for a win. Really enjoyed watching that, not cos England are going home. Actually felt sorry for you guys cos Suarez was offside for the second one

I was disappointed with sturridge. Went down to easily on a few occasions looking for the foul. But had he stayed on his feet there could've been a goal. And if he could see a pass quicker I think you could've been celebrating tonight

If it came off Gerrards head its not offside.

Sturridge made the goal with Johnson.

Realised afterwards it was Gerard's head

Sturridge did do well for the goal credit to him but if he did more of that you would've had more/better chances.

I was watching today as a neutral not as anti English and I realised it's one man who over hypes England. The media generally haven't been too bad this year but john motson does my head in!

I just hope we can ditch Roy and get someone decent in. He is a Yes man so no doubt will keep the job, but this is his team, and its not a good one. With 5 minutes to go the team needed pushing on and there was the shot of Roy sitting them doing nothing.

This was the first England game I've watched for a couple of years, since Italy in the last Euros I think.

I think I shall go back to watching Braintree Town. At least I know they're shite, and don't expect anything much! :lol:

Oh well thats that then, I don't blame Roy he had a real go at it, we were decent enough going forward but poor at the back.

Much as I hate to say it, deapite the fact they are two of the worse human beings you could imagine we missed Terry & Cole

Sent from the golf club...

• Like 1

Well I'm going to watch "One Night In Turin" and remember what it was like to feel proud when we lost, not empty. I want to watch players who worried about whether or not they'd ever wear the white shirt, not if the garage has space for another Bentley or what colour boots my sponsor will be giving me next week. We might not have been the best then, but we fought the hardest and that's all I ever want to be able to say about England.

Where are spirits of these people now? They're not in Brazil, I know that much, we probably sold them for ****ing TV rights and a lifetime supply of footlong Subways.

imagejpg1_zps96c471f3.jpg

imagejpg3_zps7df143c4.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsf3df3027.jpg

imagejpg4_zpsea4df46f.jpg

I can't take many more of these performances, I've not felt good about England since Beckham singlehandedly dragged us past Greece with the kind of passion and pride and fight and desire and determination and hunger and sheer-superhuman-will-to-win-however-many-miles-I-have-to-run-and-hits-I-have-to-take that seems to of just evaporated into thin air.

• Like 4

Bang on Stu. Too many players out there to win it on their own, and it has gone straight to the heads of the likes of Sterling and Barkley also who never put a decent touch on the ball tonight and were always trying to beat three players. I'm sure the whole England team will be over it within a week of landing back here.

Too many players in that team who are earning rediculous money an cit has gone to their heads, they are not world class players but are being paid like they are!

Suarez had a knee op 4 weeks ago and wasn't risked even though the team lost to Costa Rica, so why wasn't the team told that everytime he got the ball to knock him to the ground? He was allowed to run and play like he had a protective bubble round him, and his team mates knocked our players around like rag dolls.

At least now all the overpaid ##### can take a well earned rest.

I thought Hodgson was poor too, made the same subs as Saturday that had zero effect again, we needed a battler and Milner was left on the bench...

• Like 1

I don't think money is the problem. Sure, maybe when playing away at Hartlepool in the league cup on a freezing November evening then you might just go through the motions, but let's not forget that each and every one of those players is an England fan first and foremost. There is no greater honour than playing for your country, much less playing in a World Cup, so to think that none of those lads were hurting this morning isn't really fair. Apart from Rooney, Suarez is probably the best paid player on the pitch, but he seemed okay with it. Look at the Italians, or the Germans, or even the Brazilian team: They are ALL on mega bucks. Let's not even start with Ronaldo and Messi...

Money isn't the issue, it's poor management with no plan B, and a culture of fear. They are so terrified of losing that they won't commit, rather be branded lacking effort than being the guy on the back page for weeks because you made one tiny mistake.

TBF fear of the press is a factor when it's easier to be part of a failing collective than the one who tried something and got it wrong. However, the love for Gazza shows we're a forgiving bunch, so long as we think you care. He wasn't even an auomatic choice in the run up to '90. These days you can pick the squad two years in advance and be 90% correct.

We hardly made a tackle in the middle of the pitch last night, that's where you win games. If that's not about desire and fight I don't know what is. Danny Wellbeck made the most tackles (3) and didn't even play the full 90 (71 mins). Says it all if you ask me.

Edited by SuperStu
  • Like 1

Oh well thats that then, I don't blame Roy he had a real go at it, we were decent enough going forward but poor at the back.

Much as I hate to say it, deapite the fact they are two of the worse human beings you could imagine we missed Terry & Cole

Agree with all of that..as most of the problems happened on the left hand side. I am not sure about Milner though....yes he's a battler but in the last game he played he seemed to give the ball away too much. We had chances. We never got in front to build confidence and had insufficient composure in front of the goal at this level.

Agree with all of that..as most of the problems happened on the left hand side. I am not sure about Milner though....yes he's a battler but in the last game he played he seemed to give the ball away too much. We had chances. We never got in front to build confidence and had insufficient composure in front of the goal at this level.

Just thought we needed someone to get a couple of tough tackles in to get the rest of the team going, none of the subs gave us that :shrug:

I would also say its seems they are trying to play perfect football and almost trying to pass the ball into the net, i saw various moves down the wings, only to slow it up and invite the defenders on to them rather than fizzing one into the box, not that there every seemed to be many flying in for a cross!

Everyone seems to want to play like Barca (over a year or so ago) at the moment, retain the ball, keep possession and then pounce. Fine if you have the talent of course.

Good shout re the FA and their decisions, would like to see Harry get a chance, he bought the best out of @*!# teams/squads.

Roy looked positively lost, as said elsewhere, no plan b.

Yes Roy just didn't have any tactical capability to change the game - it was some Sturridge magic and the usual Johnson willingness to attack that made the goal.

Ironic really that we had something like 60% possession but got undone by an 'English Long Ball'.

Suarez had a knee op 4 weeks ago and wasn't risked even though the team lost to Costa Rica, so why wasn't the team told that everytime he got the ball to knock him to the ground?

Too many of his club team mates for that to happen :lol: .

Pete

Regardless of Milner's talent, you never see him put in less than 100%, I'll give him that.

The only thing is I wonder whether we have placed too much emphasis on giving 100%. If the game was British Bulldog then that would probably be enough.

With a number of the world class players how often do we hear something along the lines of "he didn't seem to do much - apart from the 2 great goals he scored". It takes a high degree of confidence and presence of mind to remain completely focused, aware and calm enough when the small number of opportunities come your way (not to mention the degree of skill required).