My bad driving!

sipar69

I like to think I’m a responsible if not hugely experienced driver but I made a very basic error the other day which nearly resulted in what I expect would have been an expensive and embarrassing prang.

Our road is quite close to the centre of Twickenham but very quiet. At the end of the road there’s a T junction, but only the right hand road actually goes anywhere. The road on the left has a dead end with just four or five houses on either side. Consequently, it’s very rare that anyone is driving from that side across the junction with our road, although I always usually check before turning.

On Saturday we came back from a nice lunch and I wanted to turn round at the end of the road. For some reason I totally failed to look left only to be greeted with a blaring horn and a very annoyed driver as I nearly got sideswiped by a people carrier. This would have been a very low speed incident so I doubt anyone would have been hurt, but I felt a right twonk for making such a basic error (and nearly gaining a very nasty dent in my Z).

The guy was not happy at all but seemed to accept the apology I gladly offered since it was totally my fault.

Anyway, not a great deal of point to this post except to relay that I think I had a valuable lesson reinforced about doing the basic observations, no matter how unlikely it is to see anyone coming down the road! :surrender:

Anyone else made any driving mistakes they'd rather forget? :)

• Like 1

One from Saturday sticks in my mind.

I was joining the M11 N from the M25 W, and it's a wonderful piece of sliproad if you know it. Came round it at a decent but sensible speed (well within the limit), no traffic near me so indicated to join the M11 and started to accelerate up to NSL. As I did so I noticed that there was a slow moving pick up truck also about to join, who was not indicating. I checked my mirrors, and my blind spot, and decided it would be safer to proceed straight to lane 3 in case the pickup decided to jump straight to lane 2. Did so after indicating, then realised there was a white TT already in lane 3.

He was a fair way back and travelling at approx the same speed as me, and I'd like to think that I subconsciously saw him and decided to make the move anyway as there was plenty of space (he didn't have to brake at all), but I do not remember doing that on purpose. It's not impossible that I just didn't see him, and it could've appeared that I was being a numpty and pulling straight into lane 3 for no reason. I genuinely don't know if I saw him or not though, and that's very frustrating for me as I've worked very hard over the years on my observation as it was one thing I felt needed improvement as a young driver.

No accident, not even close really, but it's reminded me again that I'm not as perfect as I would like to believe. Still better than 99% of other motorway users who seem unable to grasp the concept of keeping left, though!

• Like 3

I once returned to my car parked at the side of the road, started the car, checked rear view mirror, stuck it in reverse to give me room to pull out past the car in front of me and then got distracted for a couple of mins picking a decent song out.

With a song picked, reversed.... and got the shock of my life when I hit the car that had pulled up behind me whilst I was messing around with the stereo. :lol:

Was 18 at the time and there was no damage fortunately... Lesson learnt!

I reversed into a bloody great big lamp post last week in the family wagon

no damage thankfully - but to gails of laughter from my nearest and dearest (especially my 17 yr old who is currently learning to drive)

my claim is that it was perfectly lined up with the rear left cluster and it just jumped over and hit me :blush:

I pulled up in between some roadworks once, only place I could park,

stepped out of the car and disappeared down a bloody 10 ft hole filled with water.

some di*k heads had removed the road work barrier, to park...!!

Missus laughed for days, I was fuming... :scare: :rant::scare:

Edited by WhackyWill
  • Like 5

Realising I was driving in the wrong direction, I pulled into a layby stopped and did a U-turn.

Out of 1st gear...... 2nd......into 3rd then heard the screaming of tortured tyres...WHAM!!!!

A young girl had whacked me up the back-end & wrote my new car off.

It was 8am quiet WIDE "A" road but she just seemed to home in on my back-end

I still maintain she was fiddling with the radio, looked up and :scare: :scare:

Anyhow I was done for DWDCAA!!! :surrender:

• Like 1

Everyone makes mistakes.

I was reversing out of a parking space and looking over my left shoulder to watch for oncoming cars (one way system car park). Next thing I know some lady has driven in the exit, and parked in the space next to me while I was reversing. Inevitably my front bumper hit the rear arch and wrote her KA off. Apparently all my fault even though I had witnesses and checked my surroundings before starting the maneuver... :shrug:

Forgot to mention that she tried to claim for personal injury.. not at all bitter

Edited by SimonPG
  • Like 1

I pulled up in between some roadworks once, only place I could park,

stepped out of the car and disappeared down a bloody 10 ft hole filled with water.

some di*k heads had removed the road work barrier, to park...!!

Missus laughed for days, I was fuming... :scare::rant::scare:

:scare: :scare: ............ :lol: :lol:

• Like 1

When I was 17 driving my first car late one night in Cardiff city centre fully loaded with my mates I turned left at a set of traffic lights, ....only to then realize it was a no left turn set of traffic lights with oncoming traffic driving straight at me. Had to swerve to avoid one car, then another car swerved to avoid me. :scare:

Did a quick U-turn and drove off feeling very stupid with typically my mates pi**ing themselves with laughter. :dry:

I can laugh about it now but at the time it was a very silly mistake that I felt really stupid for making.

Oh well you live and learn, ...and hopefully become a better driver because of it. :thumbs:

• Like 1

The worst mistake I ever made was to leave the hotel I was staying at and driving on the left side of the road for almost a mile before I remembered I was in France :scare: . Funny thing is, neither of my passengers (both experienced drivers) noticed my mistake. I also got pulled by a Police car in Colorado when I went down a one way street the wrong way and once sailed through a set of red lights in Wolverhampton.....and before the motorways had barriers did a U-Turn when I hit a traffic jam :nono: .

Pete

Discovered lift-off oversteer during a spirited run over the blubberhouses pass (A59) in my lovely alfasud 1.3ti - back end came round, ns rear wheel hit the kerb and smashed the disc off the hub and the car ended up against the barrier, which I'm quite glad was there! Other damage was a buckled wheel and nsf wing, oh, and a bit of pride! I changed the wheel and removed the disc and got home ok!

Many "moons" ago a girlfriend and I drove down a nice "quiet dark cul de sac" for a cuddle.

About to go, put the car into reverse, , when BANG, reversed into a police car, with two coppers

inside eating fish & chips, as I hit their car all their fish & chips went all over them and the inside of the police car...!!

They were not amused..!! :scare: :scare:

• Like 2

in a recent post, I backed into my dad's BMW. Furthermore, coming off a slip road onto a dual carriage way I pulled out in front of someone who seemed to just appear from no where! I can only guess that he/she was driving really fast and I hadn't noticed which meant they had to slow down or, I need to get my eyes syringed. Either way I got a lot of bibs and flashing lights which made me want to disappear into the bowls of my seat.

Just before I left the UK I took my parents out in Mr Twobears' car. My Mum got in the back and decided that the door was too difficult to shut so she left it open. I never thought to check because she's not usually senile (!) so I reversed up the drive and hit the dustbins with the open door. Oops! I think my dotty mother has to share the blame for that one though, surely?

I parked up on the pavement to my local quickfit (not in my Zed don't worrie :lol:) they looked over my tyres and couldn't find my problem so off I went, I reversed on the pavement, looking out my rear window, checking my blind spots (at least I thought I did!) then BANG! I reversed straight into a lamppost :(

So embaracing because the staff watched me do it, I could see them laughing inside!

The lamppost must of been in view of my rear quater panal so I didn't see it out the rear window and I just didn't take notice of it in my kind spot lol.

Also made me feel very stupid and realise that I'm far from a perfect driver!

Sent from Tapatalk

Not sure I really want to admit to this one......but once upon a time I too reversed into a post. Naturally, it had to be in front of a large audience but made ever so slightly more embarrassing by the fact that I had very loud parking sensors which alerted my spectators to my impending doom but obviously not the eejit behind the wheel who couldn't hear over the way too much bass. Thought I was being really cool........Oh, the shame of it :wacko:

• Like 1