Can this be repaired??? (Pic heavy)

JoKeR

So thought I would attempt red praying my wiper blades. So I took them off.

ery5usa8.jpg

e6a5y5ym.jpg

a7a2ezub.jpg

eguduzaz.jpg

Sanded them down as best I could with the sand paper I had on a Sunday after 4pm :-(

dahupyqy.jpg

Primed (clearly didn't prepare them properly)

4yje4ugy.jpg

ugyqy4u2.jpg

And sprayed Matt black (can see the uneven surface underneath)

atyjypy4.jpg

e9ynaqu5.jpg

So my question is.... Can this be redone so it leaves no sign of rust or bad paint work. If so what sort of sandpaper would be best as the original paint job is flaking off!

Mine are looking pretty similar to that and need doing soon. As BBK says, the paint finish will only be as good / bad as the prep work. sand them down again until the wipers are smooth and free of the corrosion. Only start painting when you are 100% satisfied with the prep. :thumbs:

Yh I done them again but I get too impatient when waiting for the paint to dry and pick it up an ruin it lol! Took about 4-5 hours but they are done now and looking "alright" but I'm not doing it again!

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

just out of interest as I'm sure this is a common issue, does anyone know the price of replacements?

I did enquire at my local nissan steeler before painting mine, I can't remember the exact price but it was 3 figures and enough to persuade me hammerite was the way forward :lol:

• Like 3

just out of interest as I'm sure this is a common issue, does anyone know the price of replacements?

I did enquire at my local nissan steeler before painting mine, I can't remember the exact price but it was 3 figures and enough to persuade me hammerite was the way forward :lol:

Did mine as well, took some effort but worth it imo.

^^ Taking his time then Ricky. :lol:;)

I find the best way to tackle something like this is firstly with a small wire brush on my trusty Dremel...

81h7eYG08zL._SY355_.jpg

Get's rid of the worst of the rust for you then with ease. Then it's just a case (as BBK stated) of going through various sand paper grades from rough (280/320) to fine (800/1000/1200) for a really smooth finish.

Then wash, prime, final coat, done. :teeth:

Sanded them down with wet/dry paper getting finer in grit. Then metal primer and sprayed black! Look good now sorry I forgot to post up that I done it lol it was ages ago.

But yes you can fix them up and they look brand new....

p.s. I'm not still doing them haha

That's what she 'Zed' :-/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I recently sprayed mine. I just sanded mine back with a medium and fine block. Surface came up ok then applied black paint to the troubled area.

For me it's a short term fix but it's barely noticeable unless you had to point it out so I wasn't too bothered about a top job.

Yours look good though :thumbs:

is it really necessary to go through ALL the grades :dry:

It depends how good you want the finish, how heavy handed you are with the previous grade and how bad it is in the first place.

You don't have to go through any of the grades if you're only interested in making it all the same colour again. :p But it is best to, to achieve the best finish though.

• Like 1

is it really necessary to go through ALL the grades :dry:

It is yes, as from experience, if use say 280, sure it looks and feels smooth but then once you apply the paint, you can see all the fine scratches in the paintwork and regret not doing it properly the first time.. story of my life. lol

• Like 1