Safe Driving

rothers2901

The standard of driving in The States is very poor compared to here. Despite the big wide and mainly straight roads Americans still manage to have around 30k deaths each year on their roads. There's also a difference in their laws, using mobile phones, even texting is O.K in some States plus the fact that seat belt laws are quite lax and drink driving is sadly very common. In many places there are no safety checks done, similar to our MOT, just an emission test I understand When it comes to the 350Z being so dangerous in The States, one of the problems is that many are in the hands of young inexperienced drivers, they are incredibly cheap over there. I read a very sad thread on one of The U.S forums where the mother of a young Zed fatality (in his late teens I believe) was convinced that the car was at fault, saying he was a very safe driver despite the evidence that he'd lost control at very high speed on a dead straight road. I think one of the most telling figures was the very high percentage of 350Z fatalities were actually single crash victims which gives me a clue to how they were being driven at the time.

BTW, I have been driving since 1966 and although I have seen the aftermath of many very serious accidents in The U.K, I have never actually witnessed anything more serious than a few minor bumps. In The States I have seen 3 big accidents actually happen, including a hit and run and a car being launched off a verge, flying about 100 feet through the air and slamming into a barrier, scary stuff.

Pete

I have driven a bit in the States, and as said above the standard of driving is appalling

mostly outside the main cities, in the cities as long as you use the correct lanes and know where your going

its not too bad apart from taxi's cutting you up (bit like here really), Freeways are something else..!! :scare: :scare:

Bigger open roads just gives you the opportunity to go faster...

The post about the 350z being the most dangerous car has been posted up a few times on here over the years (the news report despite being end of 2013 is not new news).

Top 20 Most Dangerous Vehicles

Hoping to stay safe on the road? You might want to avoid certain cars.

For example, the Nissan 350Z has a death rate that’s about double that of the average sports car.

But it’s not for the reasons you might think. In this case, says Russ Rader, communications director for the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), an organization that represents the interests of the insurance industry, the 350Z is part of a group of vehicles that tends to be driven by younger, less experienced or riskier drivers, and stands out for having high death rates, through no particular fault of the car.

Edited by WhackyWill

Agreed, really scary stuff. Just by chance I read that article the other day about the most dangerous cars and the Zed was in there. Just a shame that all those lives were lost.

Does make me nervous that in a split second of missed concentration it could all be over, driving fast is risky. Just keep it to track.

Scary stuff indeed - does the 350z not hold up as well as other cars in a crash then?

Very surprised its listed as more dangerous than say an S2000

From what I could find it scores very well in crash tests. NCAP 5 Star crash tests scored it 5 stars from what I can find; http://www.carcomplaints.com/Nissan/350Z/2003/safety/

;)

• Like 1

SOOOOBERING !

I promise not to speed.

If someone pulls up along side I promise not to be drawn.

I promise not to respond to being cut up by prats,.

I promise not to be pushed into speeding up when someone's right up my arse end.

I promise. I promise

Problem is I always promise these things when confronted by shocks like this or when I'm out of the car and thinking clearly.

But when I'm behind the wheel it all seems to make perfect sense, Ive become a Jekyll and Hyde character. Anyone else suffer from this.

I NEED HELP!

Looking at the sheer damage to most of the US Zeds, they were high speed impacts.

As previous comments, young inexperienced drivers getting into Zeds, Mustangs, Skylines.

Sad for all the grieving families.

Probably only get a three star nowadays.

NCAP really is a stupid rating. How can you rely on a system when they keep moving the goalposts?

Technology moves on, a car that was 5star 10 years ago would not barely make 3 star now, because of this manufacturers need to improve safety equipment to be able to advertise their cars as 5star. I'm not saying the system is perfect as some of the methods available to get a better NCAP score don't add a whole to save you once a crash happens but it is there to help prevent one in the first place

Exactly. It's pointless as a measure of whether a car is 'safer' or not.

Also gives some of the idiots on the road an over exaggerated sense of safety making them drive even worse imo as they think they're invincible in their 5 star crash rated vehicles ~ without giving a f**k to all the other people driving around in their lesser rated vehicles or pedestrians on foot. :surrender::dry:

• Like 1