Dog's gone to Emergency Vet

Grundy

Good news, incompetent first vet though?

I'd speak to your regular vets and get some advice as £2k for something which was potentially the wrong procedure for her is a little concerning.

Please keep us updated and some pics when she's home and feeling up to having her pic taken.

+1.

Really hope she get's better quickly and returns to her happy self grundy. I'm sure it's a worrying time for you and wish you & Tia all the best. :thumbs:

Hi only just read this as I have been away from here for a couple of weeks :lo: I couldn't have been a twisted gut or Bloat as it is know I have bred and shown dogs for over 30 years, indeed we had a Shar Pei 30 years ago when there were only 200 in the country,Bloat would have killed her within the hour I have lost a couple of Akitas with this and it's not nice I had a third go down with it and he survived but he had to lose his spleen,he went on to live until he was 13, so chin up there is light at the end of the tunnel so to speak hope she gets well soon.As a train of thought as a pup she should be on 4 meals a day until 4 months the drop to 3 times a day then twice a day at 6 months defiantly no exercise for at least 1 hour after food, hope this helps,if you need to know anything just ask :thumbs:

• Like 1

Only just picked up this thread, and thoughts with you that the dog pulls through. still relatively young

and fit but not sure what the implications for life without a spleen means? Cracking looking dog though.

If its any comfort, we had a similar experience in November. Went away to Rome for a weekend break and leftour 9 year old Dalmatian with my sister. He was a bit off his food on the Wednesday, but my sister has 2

greyhounds and is familiar with his normal behaviour. He didn't eat much on the Thursday while we were

away but we had a call from my sister at 6am on the Friday to say that they were at the vets, he'd been

diagnosed with "twisted gut" and had been prepped for an op but my sister needed to know what we wanted to do straight away as he was fading fast. (he had gone out with the other dogs at 5 ish in the morning but

didn't come back in and was found just lying under a bush not moving,... I think he knew his time was

nearly up). This is an excrutiatingly painful experience for the dog and the vet warned us that 25% don't

make it off the table.

We are not insured and the estimate for the op, treatments etc. was £2-3K.

Tough call when the dog is 9 years old but we decided that because he was otherwise fit and healthy, had no previous health issues, prognosis was good if he got through the op (they stitch the stomach to the chest wall to limit the possibility of it happening again)and ultimately he's one of the family and we felt he

deserved a chance. So he had the op., pulled through, within 2 weeks had got all of his character back and now we're paying off the bill (slowly!!).

Insurance is a difficult one. I took the decision when we got the dog that previous pet insurance for our

cocker spaniel had been uneconomic in terms of premiums paid v benefits received, partic. once excesses, non qualifying treatments etc. had been factored in. This was the first big bill I've had for Bailey since we've had him so if I calculate what I would have paid in premiums over nearly ten years then I don't think I'm significantly (if any) worse off if you take into account an excess aswell. In hindsight, perhaps I

should have set up a little account and paid a few quid a month into that rather than face the problem of finding £3000 upfront.

Not sure what happened with the first vets diagnosis but Bailey had an xray or scan upon arrival to confirm the vets thoughts. Since this happened to us, I didn't realise it was such a big killer of dogs and is more prone to present itself in deep chested dogs.

Anyway, I guess my points are that you made a tough decision to try to save the dog, its worked so far and therefore no regrets. The dog deserved it's chance. Think about insurance going forward, but most

importantly, enjoy the relationship with you're dog...it's even more special now

And a good excuse to post a pic of our dog who's gone through a similar thing and I'm pleased we gave him a second chance.

bailey_zps6bcf5af9.jpg

• Like 1

Touching Story John, I'm glad you gave him the chance and that he pulled through :thumbs: It was a tough call and it wasn't a tough call as well, as all be it a lot of money, I don't think I could ever say no unless it was ridiculous money. I can get money, can't get another Tia. And I can see how easily it is to drastically change your life with debt over this. Fortunately I'm in a stable Job and loving family to support through this. Just means holidays etc this year are on a hold, along with mods :lol:

A little update, we brought her home last night, she had a lamp shade on her head hehe. Vets were happy with her, making a good recovery.

Her Obi levels were low through blood loss. And with the spleen removed it will be a bit of time to get these back up to normal.

Picked her up, mum drove and I had her sat on my lap in the car, with her resting her head on my shoulder falling asleep like a baby.

Got indoors she was slowly trotting along, knocking the lamp shade into things, got stuck in the corridor at one point as it was too narrow to turn around.

She couldn't get comfortable at first to lay down. So I lay'd down with her resting her head on my chest for a hour.

Had to get her to eat this patey type food the vet prescribed, it was important to her recovery that she ate. Unfortunately she wasn't interested when we got home.

A few hours later I tried again and she wasn't fussed. So the Vet had given us a couple of syringes early on, so we could mix the patey with water and use the syringe to feed her.

Whilst mixing it, I tried again with my hand this time and she started munching away.

Ended up putting the food on the palm of my hand letting her eat away. She ate about 30%

Bed time came and unfortunately she couldn't get up the stairs with her lamp shade on, so had to pick her up and carry her up (She's always slept in my room)

She just lay'd down on her bed and cuddled up to her teddy's.

Couple hours later I joined her on the floor, moved my mattress onto the floor, as I didn't want her jumping up and down my bed all night potentially injuring her self. She fell asleep on top of me for the rest of the night.

The only thing she hadn't done that night is drink. Could be down to difficulty with the lamp shade or wasn't interested. She did however go to the toilette twice which is a good sign.

Today she was a little more her self, walking around, ate 50% of her food.

Taken her back to the vets, where she is now, for some more blood tests and to be put back on the drip.

Get to pick her up tonight at 6.30pm. We will find out the results of her OBI. They want it to be a bit lower today due to the surgery, then later on (don't know if its days/weeks/months) will go back again for another test and the OBI should be a lot higher.

Again thank you for all your support and comments!!

@Mopedmark, Haven't ignored your thread, was a really good read and will drop you a PM when I get a chance.

CEF80940-F1AB-4B33-B763-277966A28FE5_zpssqamldan.jpg

7FBCF4BD-80D4-4D77-B995-BFEFEA15D972_zpstqw0tka3.jpg

CDBF0182-EA4C-4552-9E0B-31C1BF92EF2C_zps9d3czxoa.jpg

Yes, she's not happy about the lamp shade :lol:

• Like 2

Amazing just how resilient and swift healers dogs are. Not sure if you've got many tablets to give but that was a 2 person job and meant getting your hand right inside the mouth and beyond where the tongue bends to prevent him spitting them back out. Like you, we are having to make some sacrifices this year (hols, golf membership downgraded to social status for this year etc) but fortunately still enough left to fuel the zed!!!

Hope he's back to normal quickly

Great news that she is on the mend, don't think of it as vets bills, think of it that you just supercharged Tia and the Zed was fast enough anyway ;)

Sent from the golf club...

:lol:

Quick I need to buy dog to stop myself from buying a S/C :p

Glad she's feeling better, not sure if the vet mentioned it but try raising her bowls off the ground, apparently it helps them not take so much air down with their food, the same as with using feeding toys or lots of small meals. Several horses down our yard had colic and twisted gut, it's horrendous and raised feeding definitely helped them out.

Our cat had to wear one of those lampshades after an op to stitch a cut in his rear end idiotically caused by me trying to snip a bit of poop that got stuck to his fur.. Not a mistake I'll ever make again. I felt so guilty. He's more like a dog than cat in his character and my friend.

• Like 1