In car cameras for daily road use.

Cragus

After reading several threads recently I have started to think about installing an in car camera for everyday road use. Whether you are in an accident, a dispute with the police or have an incident with another road user, surely these cameras make for good evidence. I know the dash cams are pretty popular in Russia.

My questions are, does anyone on here run one of these, have any opinions on what brand/type of camera is best and lastly any interesting stories that have stemmed from use of these cameras.

I've been looking at this for a while now, the one BBK has looks about the best IMHO. Personally I'd want it to be fully automated, I'd forget to switch on anything manual, like a phone app or go-pro style cam. Auto loop recording, auto on at ignition, and parking mode with one of the little gizmos that protects your battery, front and rear if possible. Not sure about GPS data though, it could work against you in certain scenarios.

Yep I do have one. Mine is 1080p front camera only. However they now do a two camera option. 1080p front and 720p rear.

http://www.incarcamerasystems.co.uk/BlackVue_DR550GW_2CH.php

I have the dual cameras, 4sets of them infact, 1for each vehicle, I also run the smart power source to enable recording when the car is parked & the larger 32gb memory cards.

They are definitely worth investing in.

I've already caught someone who drive into my van when parked & left the scene, saving me over £2k of my own insurance claim, so they have paid for themselves already :)

• Like 4

I have the mini 0801 a review of it can be found on techmoan, it cost me £65.

me too.

Good quality picture,1080p,in built 8GB memory plus micro slot for card. £90. :D

Fantastic quality, I was planning on installing one rear facing as well. :thumbs:

Yep I do have one. Mine is 1080p front camera only. However they now do a two camera option. 1080p front and 720p rear.

http://www.incarcame...DR550GW_2CH.php

I have the dual cameras, 4sets of them infact, 1for each vehicle, I also run the smart power source to enable recording when the car is parked & the larger 32gb memory cards.

They are definitely worth investing in.

I've already caught someone who drive into my van when parked & left the scene, saving me over £2k of my own insurance claim, so they have paid for themselves already :)

Thanks for all the replies guys! Hey Darren - do you have the blackvue system. Can you give me a dummies guide on what you have. Does it record on a loop? How long does the power source last? How easy is it to install? Does it start recording automatically?

Hey Dan - even if you are not the perfect driver, surely you don't need to hand over any recordings or even disclose that it was recording unless you wish too?

Hey Dan - even if you are not the perfect driver, surely you don't need to hand over any recordings or even disclose that it was recording unless you wish too?

If it's evidence, then they can force you to hand it over. Or worse, you have an accident and are taken to hospital before you can grab and dispose of the evidence: Police come along, see you have a cam and take it to view later before you even know they've done it. Nothing illegal there.

Like I say, if you're 100% perfect then there are zero downsides. If you're not, you just need to be aware of the consequences. :thumbs: