Should Scotland vote to leave the UK ?

ATTAK Z

Should Scotland vote to leave the UK ?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland vote to leave the UK ?

• I am Scottish and I think Scotland leaving the UK is a BAD idea
    • I am Scottish and I think Scotland leaving the UK is a GOOD idea
    • I am Scottish I don't really care about it
    • I am NOT Scottish and I think Scotland leaving the UK is a BAD idea
    • I am NOT Scottish and I think Scotland leaving the UK is a GOOD idea
    • I am NOT Scottish I don't really care about it

We have a small population. We could be like australia, Canada or Switzerland in the criteria to get in.

Canada has a population of 35 million, Australia 23 million and Switzerland is one of the most expensive countries in the world to live in. I would compare Scotland more to The Republic of Ireland or Wales really.

Pete

"In 1974 52% of Scottish voters said YES to a Scottish Government. The Labour Party undemocratically said NO and NO to 43 out of 19 Scottish MP's were outraged." How can you say no to 43 out of 19 anythings......................That whole sentence just doesn't make sense.

"In 1974 52% of Scottish voters said YES to a Scottish Government. The Labour Party undemocratically said NO and NO to 43 out of 19 Scottish MP's were outraged." How can you say no to 43 out of 19 anythings......................That whole sentence just doesn't make sense.
How do you get 43 out of 19 any way?

I suppose I should clear up from earlier, I am fully aware about the difference between BoE and RBS, I just used the example as both had the word Scottish in and both were an inevitable fk up.

If I'm honest I really don't care what Scotland do, it has no affect on me. My biggest bug bear about Scotland is the Scottish, I've always found it a little one way.

When ever anything is bad its British, as soon as its good, its Scottish. Andy Murray is a prime example, when he's losing the Scots refer to him as British, as soon as he wins all you hear is the cry of "FREEEEEEEEDOM!" and he's Scottish. I like Scotland, I like the Scottish, but so many of them that I've met have got a stick up their Ares about being Scottish.

You hear of so many moaning about the British, but happily take the UK handouts. They like to moan while they have things we don't, no tuition fee's etc

Honestly maybe they should try it independently I wonder if the same people would still be moaning.

And yes I know most of you are against it which is good to see, I'm just hoping once the vote is out the way and the snap idea falls flats on its face, that those on their high nationlist horses will shut up (those you see on TV interviews, and the likes of question time etc)

We have a small population. We could be like australia, Canada or Switzerland in the criteria to get in.

Canada has a population of 35 million, Australia 23 million and Switzerland is one of the most expensive countries in the world to live in. I would compare Scotland more to The Republic of Ireland or Wales really.

Pete

I was not on about population I was talking about how they keep the good people.

I suppose I should clear up from earlier, I am fully aware about the difference between BoE and RBS, I just used the example as both had the word Scottish in and both were an inevitable fk up.

If I'm honest I really don't care what Scotland do, it has no affect on me. My biggest bug bear about Scotland is the Scottish, I've always found it a little one way.

When ever anything is bad its British, as soon as its good, its Scottish. Andy Murray is a prime example, when he's losing the Scots refer to him as British, as soon as he wins all you hear is the cry of "FREEEEEEEEDOM!" and he's Scottish. I like Scotland, I like the Scottish, but so many of them that I've met have got a stick up their Ares about being Scottish.

You hear of so many moaning about the British, but happily take the UK handouts. They like to moan while they have things we don't, no tuition fee's etc

Honestly maybe they should try it independently I wonder if the same people would still be moaning.

And yes I know most of you are against it which is good to see, I'm just hoping once the vote is out the way and the snap idea falls flats on its face, that those on their high nationlist horses will shut up (those you see on TV interviews, and the likes of question time etc)

Personally, from the comments you have just made, I think the only person with a stick up there arse is you.

Andy murray is always referred to as Scottish. I think you will find that its the english that refer to him as british when he's winning and Scottish when he's losing. As with your comments on the banking- get your facts correct before spouting bullshit.

Craig is an educator just like you, the difference with him is that he talks like one and keeps it respectable. You just sound like a complete, uneducated, tosser at this point. You put out silly petty points and then back tracked once Craig made you look like a complete idiot.

Personally, I think you have the poorest standpoint I have ever seen and you have a massive chip on your shoulder with the Scottish. For someone who is an educator I would expect better.

I take deep offence to what you have said about Scotland and its people like you that make the Scottish people want to be separate from England.

I honestly can't believe that you would come on here and say what you have said.

Edited by Neilp
  • Like 2

my job has no reflection on my stand point, i love the fact people like to throw things back when it suits them. i'm sure your aware teachers are allowed opinions too, only difference is as a professional i keep my opinions out of the classroom. as this is not my classroom i'm entitled to say what i like. i haven't linked my place of work to my post nor have i reffered to it.

my stand point is that yes scotland contributes to the union, but they currently seem to have a setup where they have some of the benefits with none of the risks. if scotland wants financial autonomy then they should pay for it themselves. but its never going to happen and its not worth the argument we're so intertwined as a union that breaking it up would be more work than its worth.

Craig is an educator just like you, the difference with him is that he talks like one and keeps it respectable. You just sound like a complete, uneducated, tosser at this point. You put out silly petty points and then back tracked once Craig made you look like a complete idiot.

Personally, I think you have the poorest standpoint I have ever seen and you have a massive chip on your shoulder with the Scottish. For someone who is an educator I would expect better.

I take deep offence to what you have said about Scotland and its people like you that make the Scottish people want to be separate from England.

I honestly can't believe that you would come on here and say what you have said.

they were tongue in cheek comments highlighting the same fact that everyone else was making is scottish independence wont work and will most likely fall flat on its arse if attempted. either in hugly inflated taxation to stabilise the economy or the fact that it would have no finiacial institution as no financial institution would back the scottish currency, or if it set up its own currency with its own backing, due to the fact its an unkown quanitity would be heavily undervalued and scotland would end up in a situation not dissimiliar to germany and the reichmark pre 1935.

if you wish to debase yourself by referring to people as toss pots and dragging their careers in to a post for no other reasons that to fortify your weak retort then knock yourself out einstein.

i have come across scots who are so nationalistic it verges on racism, and its that attitude that is often portrayed rightly or wrongly of scotland.

i'm sure your next reply will involve something about how big you are and the fact that you'll turn up on my door step or who you know and who might turn up on my door stepp blah blah blah. if i'm honest i don't give a flying fk :thumbs:

my job has no reflection on my stand point, i love the fact people like to throw things back when it suits them. i'm sure your aware teachers are allowed opinions too, only difference is as a professional i keep my opinions out of the classroom. as this is not my classroom i'm entitled to say what i like. i haven't linked my place of work to my post nor have i reffered to it.

my stand point is that yes scotland contributes to the union, but they currently seem to have a setup where they have some of the benefits with none of the risks. if scotland wants financial autonomy then they should pay for it themselves. but its never going to happen and its not worth the argument we're so intertwined as a union that breaking it up would be more work than its worth.

they were tongue in cheek comments highlighting the same fact that everyone else was making is scottish independence wont work and will most likely fall flat on its arse if attempted. either in hugly inflated taxation to stabilise the economy or the fact that it would have no finiacial institution as no financial institution would back the scottish currency, or if it set up its own currency with its own backing, due to the fact its an unkown quanitity would be heavily undervalued and scotland would end up in a situation not dissimiliar to germany and the reichmark pre 1935.

if you wish to debase yourself by referring to people as toss pots and dragging their careers in to a post for no other reasons that to fortify your weak retort then knock yourself out einstein.

i have come across scots who are so nationalistic it verges on racism, and its that attitude that is often portrayed rightly or wrongly of scotland.

i'm sure your next reply will involve something about how big you are and the fact that you'll turn up on my door step or who you know and who might turn up on my door stepp blah blah blah. if i'm honest i don't give a flying fk :thumbs:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

You, my son, need to grow up.

I thought u had stopped being a **** but I was clearly wrong. Maybe it's fatherhood turning you into a grumpy old man.

Edited by Neilp

The problem I have with England is people like you. You say it doesn't bother you yet you have very strong views on it. If it doesn't bother you them why take part in a discussion about it.

It's people like you that play it down as if its nothing when really it's nipping at you's but you don't want to admit it.

It may not mean much to you but it's going to have a big impact on some people life's and futures.

Have some respect.

Edited by Neilp

Also why will england not let Scotland keep the pound. If we will do so rubbish why are the english government trying to make it hard for us? It's like they want to keep us together as we are good for them hmmm.

It may not mean much to you but it's going to have a big impact on some people life's and futures.

Have some respect.

Massive, massive impact. Hence my comment about people trying to bait other earlier.

It's funny since me and my brother want independance, my dad doesn't lol. We can argue the points and generally what happens is that it will be agreed I have fantastic points and IF and ONLY IF it happens the way they say it will Scotland will be the best place evar! But there is alot of uncertainty. What if this or what if that. What if nothing happens and that can be scary to some people. I honestly think its the next logical step for Scotland. E.g. look at the way the parties bar SNP tried to get votes. That typically american/english slag of this fear mongering way. Didn't work the Scottish are too clever for that and SNP whooped butt. I don't think anyone can deny if it did go the way they say it will then it would be awesome! SNP has done alot of things they said they would here so I trust them, well more than the rest of them.

Also why will england not let Scotland keep the pound. If we will do so rubbish why are the english government trying to make it hard for us? It's like they want to keep us together as we are good for them hmmm.

The UK will let Scotland keep the pound, I've no doubt, but it will be in return for a massive amount of your oil. The cost to change currencies for Scotland would be massive, much larger than any deal that will be struck for oil, so I suspect that any Scottish independent government will have little choice but to give in on that.

• Like 1

The problem I have with England is people like you. You say it doesn't bother you yet you have very strong views on it. If it doesn't bother you them why take part in a discussion about it.

It's people like you that play it down as if its nothing when really it's nipping at you's but you don't want to admit it.

Have some respect.

i'm entitled an opinion as much as I am entitled to post on an open forum. I took part in a discussion where I was having banter with cragus and you turn it into a name calling match. But I didn't expect anything less from the forum wee man.

My points still stand

Currently Scotland spend more than they pay in, yes there is oil on the equation, but its a separate discussion in its self and a dwindling resource, and has been said, would be Scotland bargain chip if it has any hope of keeping the pound.

Yes there is great wealth in Scotland but it also has the uks highest levels of deprivation, with one of the highest levels of unemployment and currently the lowest living age in the UK.

Putting banter aside, if Scotland got independence and technically it could manage on its own, but at what cost? Taxation would go up and inflation would increase, the cost of living would go up a lot in order to support those who need it nd to maintain Scottish infrastructure.

Dblock you said why are we trying to keep Scotland, its because as we're just coming out of extremely hard financial times, bows not the time to divide and conquer, we as a union are stronger united than divided nd squabbling over who gets what,

It seems now has been chosen as the UK government seems at its weakest,

Alex salmon has a list of demands I don't think he's going to get. And the UK have already tried to sweeten the deal by axing jobs in the Portsmouth docks instead of the Clyde bank.

If the union splits there are a whole load of new issues, we can't keep our subs in Scotland so those and their jobs will move. Same with other military jobs, they'll all get shipped out and spread across the UK. And the list goes on, I just don't have time to type before going to work.

Have some respect.

Massive, massive impact. Hence my comment about people trying to bait other earlier.

It's funny since me and my brother want independance, my dad doesn't lol. We can argue the points and generally what happens is that it will be agreed I have fantastic points and IF and ONLY IF it happens the way they say it will Scotland will be the best place evar! But there is alot of uncertainty. What if this or what if that. What if nothing happens and that can be scary to some people. I honestly think its the next logical step for Scotland. E.g. look at the way the parties bar SNP tried to get votes. That typically american/english slag of this fear mongering way. Didn't work the Scottish are too clever for that and SNP whooped butt. I don't think anyone can deny if it did go the way they say it will then it would be awesome! SNP has done alot of things they said they would here so I trust them, well more than the rest of them.

I have already explained once that I wasn't baiting, move on.

i love the fact scotland get a vote on if the want independence, as this is a 2 way relationship, should we not have a vote on if we want to keep scotland? its like having a divorce, but only one side of the marriage is calling all the shots. its like the rest of the uk are nigella lawson, and scotlands trying to be mr satcchi

No offence but this is ridiculous! If one party in a divorce wishes to leave the marriage, the other party can't cage them in it. If England, Wales or NI don't want to be part of the union anymore they can hold a referendum and democratically vote to leave the 'marriage' too.

My problem with the whole debate is those outside of Scotland taking the view that this is only happening because Scotland don't like them and they spit the dummy out. Why don't they like us - boo hoo:

This video as I am sure you will have seen epitomises it:

She always gets wheeled out when they want someone to say the most offensive thing possible to make good telly. The "tell us what you think" reminded me of this..........

Edited by sipar69
  • Like 1

Have some respect.

i'm entitled an opinion as much as I am entitled to post on an open forum. I took part in a discussion where I was having banter with cragus and you turn it into a name calling match. But I didn't expect anything less from the forum wee man.

My points still stand

Currently Scotland spend more than they pay in, yes there is oil on the equation, but its a separate discussion in its self and a dwindling resource, and has been said, would be Scotland bargain chip if it has any hope of keeping the pound.

Yes there is great wealth in Scotland but it also has the uks highest levels of deprivation, with one of the highest levels of unemployment and currently the lowest living age in the UK.

Putting banter aside, if Scotland got independence and technically it could manage on its own, but at what cost? Taxation would go up and inflation would increase, the cost of living would go up a lot in order to support those who need it nd to maintain Scottish infrastructure.

Dblock you said why are we trying to keep Scotland, its because as we're just coming out of extremely hard financial times, bows not the time to divide and conquer, we as a union are stronger united than divided nd squabbling over who gets what,

Alex salmon has a list of demands I don't think he's going to get. And the UK have already tried to sweeten the deal by axing jobs in the Portsmouth docks instead of the Clyde bank.

If the union splits there are a whole load of new issues, we can't keep our subs in Scotland so those and their jobs will move. Same with other military jobs, they'll all get shipped out and spread across the UK. And the list goes on, I just don't have time to type before going to work.

lol forum wee man :lol: :lol: ROFL :lol: :lol: spoken like a true keyboard warrior!

You were the one who started name calling I'm afraid by saying scots had sticks up there arses.

Craig owned you and you spat the dummy out with pathetic statements. I'm glad we don't have people as obnoxious and ignorant as you in Scotland.

You also voted that it's a good idea for Scotland to leave?? That doesn't seem to agree with what you're saying on here. So, once again, your talking bullshit just for the sake of an argument.

I hope somebody got you a device like this for Christmas- it will stop people seeing the endless stream of diarrhea dripping down your chin.

476DA405-63D0-44B6-AEE5-0CABEC1D990E_zpshqi2jgzk.jpg

Edited by Neilp

I think that if it really would be that great for the Scottish people they should have the opportunity.

I do think though if it's not handled correctly by the key people then they could be in a boat load of trouble, could they vote yes to leaving but wait until they've found someone suitable to lead them into it? As no one seems to have confidence in Salmond.

• Like 1

I think that if it really would be that great for the Scottish people they should have the opportunity.

I do think though if it's not handled correctly by the key people then they could be in a boat load of trouble, could they vote yes to leaving but wait until they've found someone suitable to lead them into it? As no one seems to have confidence in Salmond.

I totally agree mate but unfortunately it's snp who are leading this and ultimately they will get power.

My issue is with who is running it not the independence factors. I'm pretty sure Scotland could sustain itself.

• Like 1

Good to see opinions on the subject, but any more personal insults about other members/namecalling even if blocked by the filters, will result in this thread being locked and could lead to warnings being issued.

• Like 1

Have some respect.

My points still stand

The pair of you stop it - Neil that wasn't nice calling names and Richard you put away your wooden spoon you do make some bl**dy awful sweeping generalisations sometimes!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and you just have to agree to disagree - it was quite a nice light hearted discussion unitl folk started quoting second hand figures and name calling. :surrender:

Just thought I would put my opinion in..... lol. I am against Scotland going independent as there are far too many uncertainties such as the currency, what passport would we fall under, how do they plan on keeping Scotland and please dont say tourism and Oil will see us through........ it bloody well wont.

However what I do find interesting is people are saying No to independence due to it being the SNP party but also its leaders. This is wrong as you are voting for Scotland breaking free..... think of the long term and not the short. YES the man and the other thing that calls itself a woman are imo are not suited to run a country.but this can all be changed once Scotland is independent i.e. Labour running it etc etc. Who knows....

What scares me, which I think neil picked up on is the fact that they are giving 16 year olds the vote!!!! What experience do they have in life.......... and how can they make a rational and educated decision. All the SNP has to do is feed them alot of propaganda about more jobs.... uni / college placements etc etc and show braveheart the night before the vote!

HELP!!

Just thought I would put my opinion in..... lol. I am against Scotland going independent as there are far too many uncertainties such as the currency, what passport would we fall under, how do they plan on keeping Scotland and please dont say tourism and Oil will see us through........ it bloody well wont.

However what I do find interesting is people are saying No to independence due to it being the SNP party but also its leaders. This is wrong as you are voting for Scotland breaking free..... think of the long term and not the short. YES the man and the other thing that calls itself a woman are imo are not suited to run a country.but this can all be changed once Scotland is independent i.e. Labour running it etc etc. Who knows....

What scares me, which I think neil picked up on is the fact that they are giving 16 year olds the vote!!!! What experience do they have in life.......... and how can they make a rational and educated decision. All the SNP has to do is feed them alot of propaganda about more jobs.... uni / college placements etc etc and show braveheart the night before the vote!

HELP!!

we can show trainspotting on every channel just to bring back reality
  • Like 1