A Christmas Tale from The Zed Shed

Keyser

Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house

Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.

But in the Zed Shed Santas little elves (Keyser and Buster) were working away

For laidBackLuke was in trouble this day

As while driving his Zed a knock he did find

And good old Buster said “I can sort that†for he was to kind!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone :wave:

I know I’m still only an infrequent visitor to the forum and the Zed Shed is only doing a few bits n bobs at the moment but as it’s the silly season me and Buster are being silly again :thumbs:

So a forum member and visitor to the shed LaidBackLuke has had a few problems with his Zed

Starting with a misfire a few weeks back that we diagnosed as a faulty coil pack, all was right with the world again, but then he got a knock

Click the pic/vid below –

th_VIDEO0039_zps57b99b8b.jpg

Now we obviously diagnosed this as either a fuel damper or maybe a very warn banana arm :blush:

Or maybe something a little worse?

“How much worse†said Luke

“Well†said Buster “A lot worseâ€

“What’s a lot worse†asked Luke

“You tell him Keyser†replied Buster

So I gave him the very technical and complicated breakdown but a managed it in 4 words

“Your Engine is F****dâ€

Now Luke turned a few shades whiter at this point and was obviously concerned about not only the cost of a replacement engine but also the cost of labour…………………

Along comes Santa (played by Bob)

“Tell you what mate, you find an engine and me and Keyser will fit it for you, won’t we Keyserâ€

“Bah Humbug†Says Keyser (playing the part of Ebenezer Scrooge (quite well I thought))

“No No†says Luke “I couldn’t ask you to do that!â€

“Nonsense its Christmas†Says Buster “We would be happy to wouldn’t we mate?â€

“Bah Humbugâ€

Anyway after being visited by 3 ghosts – one of which looked like this-

SCENGSTRIP1.jpg

I thought what the hell and today we rolled her in

KODC1531_zps5d4b40c5.jpg

Start the clock

0 Hours

KODC1532_zpsdf96a868.jpg

1 Hour in

KODC1538_zpsef0e9fb6.jpg

2 Hours in

KODC1539_zps2fc56f40.jpg

3 Hours in

KODC1540_zps522a62ca.jpg

4 Hours in

KODC1542_zpsbf92a2e8.jpg

Found a few little problems –

KODC1537_zps570bb061.jpg

A seeping pipe

KODC1535_zps053122af.jpg

Spot the mistake?

Yup the power steering cooler is missing ???

Anyway we stripped the gearbox off

KODC1544_zps88e5906f.jpg

And left it here for tonight

KODC1545_zpsbc332f59.jpg

Hopefully Luke and a replacement engine will show up tomorrow morning and we can see if this Christmas tale has a happy ending :thumbs:

More to follow ........................

• Like 11

Good work, what is the problem with the lump..? :blush:

Click the first link - big end is knocking - sounds like a bag of nails :(

Doo ! didn't realise there was a vid..sounded like a buzz saw on crack..lot of bottom end failures recently. :scare: :scare: :surrender:

Thats what I thought when Luke brought it round, having just part X'd a working engine for one with a blown bottom end - scary stuff :scare:

CHECK YOUR OIL LEVELS EVERYONE!

• Like 1

Doo ! didn't realise there was a vid..sounded like a buzz saw on crack..lot of bottom end failures recently. :scare: :scare: :surrender:

Thats what I thought when Luke brought it round, having just part X'd a working engine for one with a blown bottom end - scary stuff :scare:

That looks like 5 in the past few weeks...!! :scare: :scare:

Bloody amazing how quickly you work plus how helpful you are. Says a lot for the forum I think that we've got people in here that are willing to help out like this. Cant wait to see the rest of the thread now :)

Edited by wizurd

There's a current thread on "Broken Engines" not a very good advert for our Zeds..!! :scare: :scare:

• Like 1

There's a current thread on "Broken Engines" not a very good advert for our Zeds..!! :scare: :scare:

No point in hiding the truth Will, there does seem to a bit of a cavalier or casual attitude by some newer owners with regard to checking oil, allied to that, some of these cars are 10 or 11 years old and previous history can be hard to establish accurately. Add to that "det" problems caused by 95 Ron fuel in DE engines then it's going to happen.

http://www.350z-uk.c..._hl__detonation

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/52685-engine-basics-detonation-and-pre-ignition/

• Like 1

No point in hiding the truth Will, there does seem to a bit of a cavalier or casual attitude by some newer owners with regard to checking oil, allied to that, some of these cars are 10 or 11 years old and previous history can be hard to establish accurately. Add to that "det" problems caused by 95 Ron fuel in DE engines then it's going to happen.

http://www.350z-uk.c..._hl__detonation

I have to agree Girnet. That's it in a nut shell...! :blush: :blush:

Totally agree Graham, the DE zeds are getting old now and if not maintained using the right fuel etc then those bomb proof engines will explode. Strange though that we are getting a spate of them all in one go.