Cyclists reaction

coldel

I think it's easy to judge motorbikers and cyclists badly but regardless of what your opinion or heart says they are more vulnerable than car driversnand killing another human being is wrong so everyone should drop their emotive responses and remember that we're all put on this planet to live and not get squished.

Yes' but anybody who goes out of their way to antagonise another, whether it be on the road or anywhere else need a word in their ear..!! :scare: :scare:

I think it's easy to judge motorbikers and cyclists badly but regardless of what your opinion or heart says they are more vulnerable than car driversnand killing another human being is wrong so everyone should drop their emotive responses and remember that we're all put on this planet to live and not get squished.

Yes' but anybody who goes out of their way to antagonise another, whether it be on the road or anywhere else need a word in their ear..!! :scare: :scare:

Give them a honk when it's safe to do so then. I fee your pain but as a car, biker and cyclist I think we all need to increase the peace.

Give them a honk when it's safe to do so then. I fee your pain but as a car, biker and cyclist I think we all need to increase the peace.

You honk a cyclist and you get "two fingers", all that does is start the fight sooner.. :rant: :rant:

I agree. Why wind people up on purpose?! :dry:
  • Like 1

It does amaze me that any old tom dick or harry can buy a bike (which could be unroadworthy/illegal), have no idea what road signs mean or how to negotiate junctions because they have never passed or attempted to pass their driving test, then completely uninsured head out on the road and quite happily speed in excess of the speed limits and jump lights etc - and if they get caught, even doing all of that they get is 'instructions on how to cycle safely' whilst anyone in a motor vehicle would have the book thrown at them, have a criminal record and be fined a serious amount of money.

Until things are equal for cyclists as well as motorists who are users of the same piece of tarmac, cyclists will never be treated equally.

• Like 3

The best comment I can add to this is maybe that we all (motorists / cyclists and pedestrians) need to think more, look more, listen more, anticipate more and perhaps, just perhaps, be a little more patient.

That way, we'll all be a little safer and using the roads will be more of a pleasure.

Bingo!

Conclusion: I'll stick to off-road thanks!

It's not all that bad on the roads, though yesterday I saw 2 cars run through the same red light in the space of 30 seconds. May be we should stick up speed cameras every where that way anyone doing over 30mph in a 30 zone can be prosecuted instantly, after all no car driver will ever think about breaking the traffic laws ever. Once that happens as a cyclist I'll happily pay tax/insurance.

Edited by gangzoom

Whilst a lot of cyclists do themselves no favours, I know I could easily run them over and kill them if I don't pay attention. As such I give them room, let them behave like ****s and hope that nothing happens to them or they get a scare and stop doing what they're doing.

I just hope that an enhanced or legislated proficiency exam is taken for London cyclists so that if they are stopped they can either be educated, reminded of the rules but most importantly behave in such a way that they do not cause themselves any danger.

Dedicated cycle lanes would be better, but we don't have the room here in London.

I just hope that an enhanced or legislated proficiency exam is taken for London cyclists so that if they are stopped they can either be educated, reminded of the rules but most importantly behave in such a way that they do not cause themselves any danger.

Dedicated cycle lanes would be better, but we don't have the room here in London.

What about the foreign visitors and the Boris bikes?

I do agree that it's mental someone can jump on a bike and off they go into traffic I wouldn't feel comfortable navigating in a car never mind a push bike without an understanding if any safety gear or knowledge of the rules of the road. Let's face it a kid not even in their teens can do this too.

It's difficult to find a solution which works but I believe cycling proficiency is no longer mandated in school curriculum. That to me is an obvious starting point but it will always be the same story "no funding"

Edited by Fodder

Whilst a lot of cyclists do themselves no favours, I know I could easily run them over and kill them if I don't pay attention. As such I give them room, let them behave like ****s and hope that nothing happens to them or they get a scare and stop doing what they're doing.

There are plenty of cycle lanes in London, but they cannot be a*sed to use them. :rant: :rant:

It does amaze me that any old tom dick or harry can buy a bike (which could be unroadworthy/illegal), have no idea what road signs mean or how to negotiate junctions because they have never passed or attempted to pass their driving test, then completely uninsured head out on the road and quite happily speed in excess of the speed limits and jump lights etc - and if they get caught, even doing all of that they get is 'instructions on how to cycle safely' whilst anyone in a motor vehicle would have the book thrown at them, have a criminal record and be fined a serious amount of money.

Until things are equal for cyclists as well as motorists who are users of the same piece of tarmac, cyclists will never be treated equally.

Couldn't agree more with all of that. Is there a "I applaud you" smilie? :lol: Yes there is. :clap::thumbs:
  • Like 1

As with most aspects of society, cyclists, motor cyclists 350z drivers etc. It is and always will be the minority that gives the majority a bad name. After all most football supporters aren't hooligans.

If everyone took a moment to consider other road users the roads would be far safer, yet car drivers constantly tailgate and lane hog, motor cyclists weave in and out of lanes, cyclists jump red lights,. My point is all sectors of society are as bad as each other so stop ranting and be more considerate, you will arive alive and less stressed.

Don't get me wrong, i get as annoyed as the next person when an idiot cuts me up but i drive 40k+ miles a year and getting stressed out doesn't help.

• Like 1

Much as I'd like to be pc and say something like we're all as bad as one another, the truth is if you work in London you see a disproportionate number of cyclists ignoring the rules of the road or just being plain stupid e.g. riding in the dark with no lights. Yes you see bad drivers but they are outnumbered in relative terms by the bad cyclists.

• Like 1

Much as I'd like to be pc and say something like we're all as bad as one another, the truth is if you work in London you see a disproportionate number of cyclists ignoring the rules of the road or just being plain stupid e.g. riding in the dark with no lights. Yes you see bad drivers but they are outnumbered in relative terms by the bad cyclists.

Not just in London. Cardiff & surrounding areas is full of them too. I'm actually shocked nowadays when I see a cyclist stop at a red light rather than just blow straight through it. :lol::dry:
  • Like 1

I hate it when cyclists ride side by side holding up traffic- does my head in!

Had it yesterday, two lycra clad overweight to55ers, riding along side by side for about a mile in a narrow road,

I'm amazed they are still alive, you could see they were deliberately doing it , to make a "stand for cyclists".. :rant: :rant: :rant:

I doubt very much it was to antagonise, more likely, they were trying to ensure that some impatient car or van driver actually gave them enough room when passing. There's no reason why cyclists and motorists can't cohabitate, but clearly a lot of small minded attitudes need to change first... on all sides as some cyclists have an equal disregard for motorists.

I hate it when cyclists ride side by side holding up traffic- does my head in!

Had it yesterday, two lycra clad overweight to55ers, riding along side by side for about a mile in a narrow road,

I'm amazed they are still alive, you could see they were deliberately doing it , to make a "stand for cyclists".. :rant: :rant: :rant:

I doubt very much it was to antagonise, more likely, they were trying to ensure that some impatient car or van driver actually gave them enough room when passing. There's no reason why cyclists and motorists can't cohabitate, but clearly a lot of small minded attitudes need to change first... on all sides as some cyclists have an equal disregard for motorists.

Yes Paddy78, we were on a narrow two lane road with a cycle lane on their right which they chose not to use.

They rode side by side chatting while we all queued up behind them without any consideration to the cars,

I'm sure one day there will be somebody who will take offence to their arrogance, so good luck to them..!! :surrender: :surrender:

There are good and and bad motorists/ motorcyclists and cyclists but what seperates the cyclists from all other road users is accountability or rather lack of it, we as car drivers tend to obey most laws of the road because if we don't we will ultimately pay hefty fines be stigmatised by insurance rates and eventually lose our right to use our vehicles, in other words responsibility, none of which is a concern to the bad cyclist who runs red lights etc. and sees himself as above the law and basically untouchable.

• Like 3

The difference between car drivers and cyclists, is cyclists are bags of blood on the move and drivers think they are kings of the road because they are in a metal box.

I started riding bikes in London back in the 1980s. You have to ride aggresively to survive. It helps if you can intimidate people from a distance ;-)

Nothing against you surfer, but when driving I find its the aggressive riders that cause the most problems. Weaving in and out, just pulling out in front of me forcing me to brake hard, waving fists at me when they re-enter the road after cycling across pavement corners to avoid stopping at reds etc. Its the ones that are making their way consistently, calmly, and without sudden changes in direction that are much easier to drive along with on the road in my view.

• Like 1

You have to ride aggresively to survive. It helps if you can intimidate people from a distance ;-)

Seriously?? Do you have that mentality when your behind the wheel as well

I don't have anything against cyclists who obey the rules of the road but if that's everyones attitude then there's something wrong

The difference between car drivers and cyclists, is cyclists are bags of blood on the move and drivers think they are kings of the road because they are in a metal box.

I started riding bikes in London back in the 1980s. You have to ride aggresively to survive. It helps if you can intimidate people from a distance ;-)

I'm amazed your still alive with that attitude, I'm sure truck drivers take your intimidation seriously.. :angry: :angry: