Cyclists reaction

coldel

As a pedestrian when I'm walking to work through London, it pisses me off no end cyclists riding through red lights where were trying to cross and on several occasions I've grabbed their handlebars and stopped it against my leg (going relatively slowly lol) and just shouted red light in their face.. They just look a bit dazed and don't reply. Also down the many alley ways with big signs saying CYCLISTS DISMOUNT yet I come round the corner and nearly get knocked over. When I'm riding, I stay far left as possible and signal my intentions... Not in London though, crazies on the road there, see it every day lol

Could not agree more clockwize. I was in Covent Garden this morning and there was a group of cyclists,

I would say about 50 strong, obviously something organized as here was a man peddling at the front in the proverbial

" High Vis Yellow Jacket" rest were strung out across the road, blocking traffic.and also ON THE PAVEMENT" I had to stand into a doorway

to stop been hit by bikes...!!! WTF.. :rant: :rant:

Saw this video just now....I never ever try to go down the side of a truck anyways, but my god I will do my best to stay as far away from a truck as possible in future :scare:....Even makes me a bit nervous to go near a truck in my car.

TFL video

Scary that vid but...

...I think this is where a cyclist can take total control on the situation - just don't go up the inside of lorries especially when on corners. I know its almost incomprehensible for a cyclist to understand but wait, seriously, just wait until its safe (ie stationary, space in front of them to get by etc). When I go around roundabouts etc in a car where lorries are turning I always hang back. Its a pain to be delayed for a few seconds but well worth it. Its also where you see people on bikes who are not road savvy who do not predict other road users behaviour. The amount of times I have had to stop in the road because a cyclist cycles up the inside of me in 'tour de france mode' oblivious to my orange flashing indicators and me slowing to turn left. They are often cycling within a couple of feet of my car at 20mph, thats mental.

• Like 1

Saw this video just now....I never ever try to go down the side of a truck anyways, but my god I will do my best to stay as far away from a truck as possible in future :scare:....Even makes me a bit nervous to go near a truck in my car.

TFL video

Scary that vid but...

...I think this is where a cyclist can take total control on the situation - just don't go up the inside of lorries especially when on corners. I know its almost incomprehensible for a cyclist to understand but wait, seriously, just wait until its safe (ie stationary, space in front of them to get by etc). When I go around roundabouts etc in a car where lorries are turning I always hang back. Its a pain to be delayed for a few seconds but well worth it. Its also where you see people on bikes who are not road savvy who do not predict other road users behaviour. The amount of times I have had to stop in the road because a cyclist cycles up the inside of me in 'tour de france mode' oblivious to my orange flashing indicators and me slowing to turn left. They are often cycling within a couple of feet of my car at 20mph, thats mental.

I have no idea why "some" cyclists (before anyone flames me) seem to have this invincible attitude and they dont have to abide by the rules everyone else does as you mention above. They seem to have this warm fuzzy glow of smugness that they arent polluting the environment like the dirty cars and their keeping fit, so have more right to be on the road and not obey the laws and take risks (like mentioned) as God will protect them for their just and noble cause towards the environment! ;)

Personally this is what i think angers drivers to them, their perceived attitude, not the fact they are on a bike :)

• Like 1

TFL video

Scary that vid but...

I have no idea why "some" cyclists (before anyone flames me) seem to have this invincible attitude and they dont have to abide by the rules everyone else does as you mention above. They seem to have this warm fuzzy glow of smugness that they arent polluting the environment like the dirty cars and their keeping fit, so have more right to be on the road and not obey the laws and take risks (like mentioned) as God will protect them for their just and noble cause towards the environment! ;)

Personally this is what i think angers drivers to them, their perceived attitude, not the fact they are on a bike :)

That last point, equally I get annoyed when drivers cut up the inside in the wrong lane in traffic then just force their way in at the front of the queue again. Or just pull out of side turnings without bothering to stop because they expect everyone else on the road to stop instead etc. Its not about the bike...

Edited by coldel

Sitting at the lights in barnes one morning and as they turned green a fella on a motorbike came through and a cyclist steemed straight through the red light and ran into him. They both ended up on their backsides and the cyclist was rather quiet as he caused it. I did feel for the biker though as i stopped to help him up but had to confess i was actually looking the other way as it happened so could`nt really be a witness.

Perhaps its time that cyclists who have a license should be penalised for there actions on a pushbike in the same way a motorcyclist car license is penalised for actions on his motorbike.

Controversial i know but how else is it gonna change. Also time to introduce insurance for all vehicles on the road as this would also affect their car premium if they have been involved in a shunt on their bike.

Awkward for kids on the road i know but something has to be done at least in large cities.

Agree with the last few posts - when on a bicycle you have to ride defensively and try to anticipate what other road users are going to (or might) do. I also have a motorcycle licence and it's very similar for both, except you're even less visible and can't accelerate out of trouble on a bicycle.

I enjoy all forms of transport and they each have their place, but you have to adapt your approach as appropriate to the situation, which includes the vehicle you're in/on as well as the type of roads and time of day.

:)

• Like 1

I work in Cambridge and the traffic laws here in regards to one-way streets and cycle paths on the pavement are turned on their head. As a motorist, I feel that the responsibility weighs far heavier on the driver rather than the cyclist. It seems that whatever happens in the unfortunate event of an accident with a cyclist, it'll be my fault. When i'm driving the zed cyclists look at me like i'm Hitler, Pol Pot, capitalism smoking a fat cigar all rolled into one, and even though I haven't done anything wrong I actually have just by driving what they consider to be a flash git's car. Because it's quite loud people think im driving faster than I actually am which proceeds them to tell me what a w**ker I am. Just can't win.

Edited by Rock_Steady
  • Like 1

I work in Cambridge and the traffic laws here in regards to one-way streets and cycle paths on the pavement are turned on their head. As a motorist, I feel that the responsibility weighs far heavier on the driver rather than the cyclist. It seems that whatever happens in the unfortunate event of an accident with a cyclist, it'll be my fault. When i'm driving the zed cyclists look at me like i'm Hitler, Pol Pot, capitalism smoking a fat cigar all rolled into one, and even though I haven't done anything wrong I actually have just by driving what they consider to be a flash git's car. Because it's quite loud people think im driving faster than I actually am which proceeds them to tell me what a w**ker I am. Just can't win.

where in Cambridge? you dlive round cambridge?

But yes Cambridge is horrific as a car driver and not wanting to sound racist 90% of people on bikes are foreign students who clearly have no idea about the Uk traffic laws as the just go any where dont look, you could be coming up behind one on the high street and they will just turn left in front of you to pop into a coffee shop and worst of all i have no idea why the Cambridge council bothered putting cycle lanes in as knowbody use them in cambridge everyone seems to cycle out side them, and heres a classic one for anyone from Cambridge

The railway bridge near the beehive shopping center

If you look to the left hand side of the road on the other side of the fence thats a path split with a white line one side for cyclists and one side for pedestrians and the road for cars, Guess what

ive NEVER seen a cyclist on that cycle lane they all peddle up the hill on the road which is blooming steep at about 1mph allowing traffic to build up for the 3-4 minutes which in a place like Cambridge can be a mile along in that time it takes there ascent to the top, Anyone got any idea whys, as by god to it **** me off as you cant overtake there

cambs.png

Edited by StevoD

I'm a road cyclist, we don't pay road tax because we don't funny enough let of emissions, so we have no tax just like a electric car.

Track cars/bikes with decats etc lawnmowers dont pay tax so that argument is kinda invalid, which is another thing about cyclist i hate how they think they dont have to pay tax because they dont kick out emissions,

although its called VED it is a road tax i can have a a 5.0 mustang as long as it sits on my land i can hold it on the red line and pollute all i want untaxed but as soon as a tyre touches the road its got be taxed, so its a tax for using the road

Edited by StevoD
  • Like 2

I went for a little spin yesterday to give the car a good run out and i was shocked by the amount of cyclists i came across out on the roads, ranging from round town to a and b roads. The thing that stuck me more was they were all racing bikes with mostly middle aged men on what was a pretty miserable day with very wet roads. Usually the sort of route i went yesterday you would encounter lots of muddy mountain bikers, is this a new phenomenon?

And yes, i came across the two a breast and the ones riding in the middle of the lane!

Ive noticed this more and more over the last 12 months. You used to be able to go out for a Sunday drive and not encounter a single cyclist. Now I encounter literally hundreds and hundreds of wannabe Bradley Wiggins`s all clad from head to tow in lycra on their road bikes, causing massive tail backs as cars struggle to get by them on winding country back roads. So as a keen motorcyclist, when i ride around a corner on a country back road, not only do I have to watch out for horsecrap, I also am aware that these days im also likely to find some cyclist weaving about all over the shop.

These lycra clad road Bradleys are different to the type i see around Cambridge on a daily basis, happily jumping red lights and assuming they own the road. Every week I see these idiots have near death experiences. Take one example from my drive home last week. Im sitting at a red traffic light. I see in my mirror a cyclist cutting up the inside of me, narrowly avoiding scraping his handle bar down the side of my car. He jumps the red light im waiting at and proceeds to pedal as fast as he can. Lights change to green, i proceed. I catch him up and clock him doing about 22mph. Up ahead theres a side road and I can see the car in front is indicating to turn left. So I take my foot of the accelerator and slow down so i dont need to brake suddenly. Idiot cyclist doesnt seem to realise why ive slowed down from 30 to 20 as he happily catches me up and proceeds to undertake me. He also doesnt notice the car up ahead still indicating and about to turn left. Car turns left, cyclist finally realises at the last minute and piles on his brakes, hits the passenger side of the car.

What does the cyclist do? Apologise to the car driver? Offer to pay for any damage to the car? No, the cyclist starts ranting & raving and swearing at the car driver.

And this isnt a one off event. I must have seen the same thing happen at different junctions dozens of times over the years.

Sure, a lot of cyclists stop at red lights, but id wager that 50% around Cambridge do not and also do not have any lights on their bikes.

But yes Cambridge is horrific as a car driver and not wanting to sound racist 90% of people on bikes are foreign students who clearly have no idea about the Uk traffic laws as the just go any where dont look, you could be coming up behind one on the high street and they will just turn left in front of you to pop into a coffee shop and worst of all i have no idea why the Cambridge council bothered putting cycle lanes in as knowbody use them in cambridge everyone seems to cycle out side them, and heres a classic one for anyone from Cambridge

If you look to the left hand side of the road on the other side of the fence thats a path split with a white line one side for cyclists and one side for pedestrians and the road for cars, Guess what

ive NEVER seen a cyclist on that cycle lane they all peddle up the hill on the road which is blooming steep at about 1mph allowing traffic to build up for the 3-4 minutes which in a place like Cambridge can be a mile along in that time it takes there ascent to the top, Anyone got any idea whys, as by god to it **** me off as you cant overtake there

cambs.png

7 Undread messages still, Windows Live Messenger :lol: Never changes
  • Like 1

I went for a little spin yesterday to give the car a good run out and i was shocked by the amount of cyclists i came across out on the roads, ranging from round town to a and b roads. The thing that stuck me more was they were all racing bikes with mostly middle aged men on what was a pretty miserable day with very wet roads. Usually the sort of route i went yesterday you would encounter lots of muddy mountain bikers, is this a new phenomenon?

And yes, i came across the two a breast and the ones riding in the middle of the lane!

These lycra clad road Bradleys

And this isnt a one off event. I must have seen the same thing happen at different junctions dozens of times over the years.

There in lies the key to an issue, these guys/girls arent out for just a nice cycle ride, they are hell bent on keeping their average speed up on their apps or gps they refuse to slow for anything.

I have a bunch of mates who have jumped on the band wagon, my facebook news feed is filled with, just done a beast of ride (or some other elaborate term for been out for a ride) , "x" miles in "x" time, average speed of "x", i am so wonderful, blah blah blah!

Its great that people want to get fit and enjoy their experience, as said i enjoy mountain biking, but to risk their safety for a little higher average on their gps, the roads are not the place!

The same goes for cars, take it to the track if you want to see what your capable of :)

I have a bunch of mates who have jumped on the band wagon, my facebook news feed is filled with, just done a beast of ride (or some other elaborate term for been out for a ride) , "x" miles in "x" time, average speed of "x", i am so wonderful, blah blah blah!

Hmmm.. do we have the same mates on facebook?! :unsure:

I think cyclists break the rules far more than drivers do. But what really rubs my rhubarb is, the taxes that are paid for cyclists to have cycle lanes in the first place are not used ( as steve has said ) and they can use the road as well! In Cambridge I often see a cyclist riding on the road when there is a cycle lane on the pavement next to them. Taxes paid for it so why not use it? but no, i'll hold up the traffic instead. Even though I have paid my taxes which contribute to the cycle lane I can't very well drive on it. I know it's ranting and probably a cliché but it's stronger than me! it's just the sanctimonious attitude that goes with it. Really grates on me. I feel much better now :)

Edited by Rock_Steady

cambs.png

yes I work , drive and eat in Cambridge. I used to work in the guildhall market square but my office is now in burleigh street if you really want to know. I drive everywhere in Cambridge to answer your question. Edited by Rock_Steady

This evening I was crossing the road on a split pedestrian crossing, one with the bollard in the middle,

car stopped to allow me to cross looking Right, as I starter to cross the other side looking Left..a Dic*Hea* on a

racing bike just missed me coming from the right, not only was he on the WRONG side of the road but he was

on the WRONG side of the bollard.. :rant: :rant:

This evening I was crossing the road on a split pedestrian crossing, one with the bollard in the middle,

car stopped to allow me to cross looking Right, as I starter to cross the other side looking Left..a Dic*Hea* on a

racing bike just missed me coming from the right, not only was he on the WRONG side of the road but he was

on the WRONG side of the bollard.. :rant: :rant:

So frustrating and bl**dy annoying. :dry:

Here is something that I find completely nuts..!! :scare:

I have a friend who has more money than God, and a collection of cars to die for..!

BUT..he cycles most days from N10 North London to Kings Langley hail, rain, or shine..,

even mid Winter. Only days he doesn't do it is when its foggy..BONKERS..complete Bonkers. :scare: :scare:

Here is something that I find completely nuts..!! :scare:

I have a friend who has more money than God, and a collection of cars to die for..!

BUT..he cycles most days from N10 North London to Kings Langley hail, rain, or shine..,

even mid Winter. Only days he doesn't do it is when its foggy..BONKERS..complete Bonkers. :scare: :scare:

You know what they say Will ~ money can't buy you everything. ;)

Common sense can't be bought. :lol:

• Like 1