Cyclists reaction

coldel

Nothing against you surfer, but when driving I find its the aggressive riders that cause the most problems. Weaving in and out, just pulling out in front of me forcing me to brake hard, waving fists at me when they re-enter the road after cycling across pavement corners to avoid stopping at reds etc. Its the ones that are making their way consistently, calmly, and without sudden changes in direction that are much easier to drive along with on the road in my view.

Absolutely right. I think the 'we disregard the rules of the road to stay alive argument' is nonsense.

• Like 1

I did a cycle proficancy test many many years ago, that taught me hand signals (not gestures) and the highway code. Im sure most people who ride push bikes never did this. I agree that lots of people on pushbikes act like idiots, I live in Milton Keynes, which has a brilliant cycle path system, yet see loads of people riding their bikes on the roads, or even worse, on the cycle paths without a bell, so you have no idea they are coming until its too late

• Like 1

The difference between car drivers and cyclists, is cyclists are bags of blood on the move and drivers think they are kings of the road because they are in a metal box. AGREE

I started riding bikes in London back in the 1980s. You have to ride aggresively to survive. It helps if you can intimidate people from a distance ;-) Pretty sure this does help your case though

Two and a bit hours to drive across London this evening.

I have now learned that 1000 cyclists have decided to LAY down in the West End

and bring CHAOS to London on a Fri evening rush hour...!

AND THEY WONDER WHY THEY ARE NOT LIKED BY CAR DRIVERS...!! :rant: :rant:

Two and a bit hours to drive across London this evening.

I have now learned that 1000 cyclists have decided to LAY down in the West End

and bring CHAOS to London on a Fri evening rush hour...!

AND THEY WONDER WHY THEY ARE NOT LIKED BY CAR DRIVERS...!! :rant: :rant:

Oh for a steam roller...... :stir:

Just one..?? :angry: :angry:

Seriously wtf is with some of these cyclists. Just been reading about that WhackyWill and some of there demands are just unbelievable. I don't want cyclists, nor anyone else to die on our roads but sometimes bad things happen to people sadly.

From the pictures posted you can quite clearly see some of the cyclists aren't exactly helping themselves to stay alive anyway; dark clothes/no helmets/no lights. Oh dear. :bangin:

• 1 month later...

So i dont think this is the right thread... i was looking for the one with the Cyclist Go Pro videos, but i'll post here anyway!

I had a run-in with a militant cyclist yesterday. Driving along a wide single carriageway A-road, I encountered a cyclist. It was perfectly safe to overtake so i put my foot down to do so. However in the time it took for the auto gearbox to shift down a gear and just start accelerating, the cyclist pulls right out into the center of the carriageway to block me on purpose! I had to jump on my brakes to avoid knocking them off, and gave them a blast of the horn. So the cyclist then moves towards the right edge of the carriageway (i.e. the middle of the road), purposefully blocking me (because i had the cheek to honk at them clearly). When they eventually pulled in i drove past them, but then we were stopped at traffic lights and they caught up.

So at the traffic lights they come along to the passenger side and banged on my window, which i wound down, and it was a woman, maybe in her 40's with a camera on her helmet! She proceeded to shout at me and ask me what the hell i was doing beeping at her, and that it was her right of way to block me from passing if she wanted to! Obviously i gave it back to her and told her what i thought before the lights changed and i had to set off.

From my point of view i definitely didnt do anything wrong. I didnt get to the point of passing her but would have left plenty of space as i always do if i had got to that point, but for her to pull out on purpose definitely deserved a beep!

So... expect to see me on one of these militant cyclist videos on youtube in the near future im sure. :lol:

• Like 1

How random i come across this thread today!

I went for a little spin yesterday to give the car a good run out and i was shocked by the amount of cyclists i came across out on the roads, ranging from round town to a and b roads. The thing that stuck me more was they were all racing bikes with mostly middle aged men on what was a pretty miserable day with very wet roads. Usually the sort of route i went yesterday you would encounter lots of muddy mountain bikers, is this a new phenomenon?

And yes, i came across the two a breast and the ones riding in the middle of the lane!

Edited by Jetpilot

^^ Unbelievable how stupid some of these cyclists can act. Bet that wound you up a bit. :angry:

I'm off to check Youtube now. :lol:;)

I honestly think it's because she had a camera that she decided to act the way she did - prompting the argument. If she didnt have the camera, i'm almost certain she wouldnt have pulled out to block me. Idiot.

I went for a little spin yesterday to give the car a good run out and i was shocked by the amount of cyclists i came across out on the roads, ranging from round town to a and b roads. The thing that stuck me more was they were all racing bikes with mostly middle aged men on what was a pretty miserable day with very wet roads. Usually the sort of route i went yesterday you would encounter lots of muddy mountain bikers, is this a new phenomenon?

And yes, i came across the two a breast and the ones riding in the middle of the lane!

their wives have bought them bikes for xmas, it's win win for the wives, gets them out of the house and a possibility of collecting on the life insurance ;)

• Like 1

^^ Unbelievable how stupid some of these cyclists can act. Bet that wound you up a bit. :angry:

I'm off to check Youtube now. :lol:;)

I honestly think it's because she had a camera that she decided to act the way she did - prompting the argument. If she didnt have the camera, i'm almost certain she wouldnt have pulled out to block me. Idiot.

There are definitely a percentage of cyclists for whom this rings very true ~ they just can't wait to goad drivers in order to get a video to increase their perceived Youtube fame. :yawn::dry:

their wives have bought them bikes for xmas, it's win win for the wives, gets them out of the house and a possibility of collecting on the life insurance ;)

Probably very true, but its the road bike thing, why the sudden rise to fame.

I have usually found mountain bikers ok, there seems to be a, we are only on the road because we have to get to the next off road bit and dont really want to be here, but the road bikes as mentioned as else where seem to have this, well i can only describe it as "attitude", like car drivers shouldnt be there.

To be honest, i think it would positively scare the daylights out of me being on a bike with some of the roads they were on yesterday!!!

To be honest, i think it would positively scare the daylights out of me being on a bike with some of the roads they were on yesterday!!!

exactly Pete, you can see from the threads on here about parking/driving and what these cyclists must have to contend with unfortunately

exactly Pete, you can see from the threads on here about parking/driving and what these cyclists must have to contend with unfortunately

Who is Pete?

Who is Pete?

for Pete's sake Peter Griffin :lol:

not sure where that come form :blush: anyway you are Pete now :thumbs:

Bear with me whild I get it off my chest....

As car drivers, if we race on the roads we can expect the book to be (rightly) thrown at us. Fortunately, ZEDs have so much reserves of brakes and grip that in normal driving you have be an absolute idiot to prang it.

What I am increasingly seeing is cyclists pedaling for all they are worth, taking corners as though on a race track and seemingly oblivious to other road users behind with no mirrors or proper check over the shoulder to help them when changing direction.

We know motor cyclists can be very vulnerable - simply the speed they can do will take them near the limits not helped by vehicle drivers who are either not paying the correct attention or simply fail the comprehend the closing distances. Sadly the stats over the years bear that out.

What I am getting to is that the performance of road bikes and many of the riders, often running in pairs or more, that have improved significantly in recent years but, they are invariably on the limit such that when a potential incident between a a driver and rider looms the cyclist is at the mercy of the driver to make the avoiding action and woe betide any driver that is involved as clearly by the fact they are wrapped in steel or other hard materials they must be in the wrong should something go wrong.

And now we are seeing (all too well) those who deem it necessary to attach the brightest lights, often flashing and mounted in such a way that they distract drivers rather that attract attention to their presence. Certainly if we were to mount similar lights on our cars to show 'our' presence they would be deemed a hazard to other road users and points and fines (at the very least) dished out.

And yet there are no mandatory tax/insurance/safety requirements/MOT for cyclists and cycles on the road notwithstanding billions are spent on road measures to facilitate their use of the public highways.

Yes, I consider the time has arrived for cyclists to be regulated - and maybe a registration number to be worn on their backs so that their details can be forwarded when erractic and dangerous behaviour is seen and that might help to balance out the selected cam recordings cyclists like to publish when they come across drivers whio have not respected the cyclists place on the road.

• Like 3

Bear with me whild I get it off my chest....

As car drivers, if we race on the roads we can expect the book to be (rightly) thrown at us. Fortunately, ZEDs have so much reserves of brakes and grip that in normal driving you have be an absolute idiot to prang it.

What I am increasingly seeing is cyclists pedaling for all they are worth, taking corners as though on a race track and seemingly oblivious to other road users behind with no mirrors or proper check over the shoulder to help them when changing direction.

We know motor cyclists can be very vulnerable - simply the speed they can do will take them near the limits not helped by vehicle drivers who are either not paying the correct attention or simply fail the comprehend the closing distances. Sadly the stats over the years bear that out.

What I am getting to is that the performance of road bikes and many of the riders, often running in pairs or more, that have improved signifcantly in recent years but, they are invariably on the limit such that when a potential incident between a a driver and rider looms the cyclist is at the mercy of the driver to make the avoiding action and woe betide any driver that is involved as clearly by the fact they are wrapped in steel or other hard materials they must be in the wrong should something go wrong.

And now we are seeing (all too well) those who deem it necessary to attach the brightest lights, often flashing and mounted in such a way that they distract drivers rather that attract attention to their presence. Certainly if we were to mount similar lights on our cars to show 'our' presence they would be deemed a hazard to other road users and points and fines (at the very least) dished out.

And yet there are no mandatory tax/insurance/safety requirements/MOT for cyclists and cycles on the road notwithstanding billions are spent on road measures to facilitate their use of the public highways.

Yes, I consider the time has arrived for cyclists to be regulated - and maybe a registration number to be worn on their backs so that their details can be forwarded when erractic and dangerous behaviour is seen and that might help to balance out the selected cam recordings cyclists like to publish when they come across drivers whio have not respected the cyclists place on the road.

I agree they should be regulated in some way but I don't think it will happen anytime soon. The government have refused to make helmets a legal requirement after a recent campaign because they said they don't want to put cyclists off taking to the road.

Helmets are a basic essential in my opinion .

Totally agree with you Ebized ~ one thing you touched on I experienced the other week actually.

Was driving home from work and over took a cyclist on the way ~ he had an extremely bright white light on the front of his bicycle which was set on flashing mode! :angry: Now can't fault him for being visible but I see absolutely no reason why he should have his light flashing like he's an emergency vehicle or something.

Was very distracting as I drove past him looking in my mirror and I couldn't help but wonder also if someone was an epileptic whether or not this might effect them. :dry: