Bizz's LS3 6.2l V8 350Z Drift Car Project - IT CAN DRIFT!! :)

bizz

About time someone took one of these on properly.

I live LS engines. I had an LS3 powered VXR8 for a few yrs.

Where about in the NE are you? I wouldn't mind coming up to have a look at some point.

Also pick your brains as I've just bought a Z32 and have a vague plan to install a LS1.

Interesting thread and build also you seem a really nice friendly guy good luck with your build please put a video up when she is running.

Cheers man, yeah I'll post one up when she's alive. Got the interesting task of completely building the exhaust system from scratch so kind of interested to hear what it sounds like myself. I'll put up a vid of the skyline later so you can hear what the engine used to sound like

Oh my word!

Again, like several people on here, been looking at this with much interest.

Would like to know a ballpark figure of what you expect this to cost you?

Yeah I'm kind of dreading the impact it'll have on my bank account but at least I've already made the main purchase of the engine so that will really help. I'll keep you posted ;-)

Where about in the NE are you? I wouldn't mind coming up to have a look at some point.

Also pick your brains as I've just bought a Z32 and have a vague plan to install a LS1.

The LS3 is a fantastic engine and can't wait to see what it's like in a small, modern chassis like the 350 :)

I'm up in Darlington so feel free to drop me a PM and pop by when you want

Interesting thread and build also you seem a really nice friendly guy good luck with your build please put a video up when she is running.

Cheers man, yeah I'll post one up when she's alive. Got the interesting task of completely building the exhaust system from scratch so kind of interested to hear what it sounds like myself. I'll put up a vid of the skyline later so you can hear what the engine used to sound like

Oh my word!

Again, like several people on here, been looking at this with much interest.

Would like to know a ballpark figure of what you expect this to cost you?

Yeah I'm kind of dreading the impact it'll have on my bank account but at least I've already made the main purchase of the engine so that will really help. I'll keep you posted ;-)

The LS3 is a fantastic engine and can't wait to see what it's like in a small, modern chassis like the 350 :)

I'm up in Darlington so feel free to drop me a PM and pop by when you want

Good stuff. I'm a Poolie so not too far away :thumbs:

I'm sure you know already but for LS3 parts etc Monkfish Performance are a good shout.

OK guys so as promised here are some pics of the work done to bring you up to date

Carpets out

DSC02167Medium_zps2039bf9e.jpg

Now the big job of removing all of the spot welds to get the section out behind the seats and the rear strut brace

DSC02169Medium_zps0acc67f9.jpg

DSC02170Medium_zps96f74064.jpg[/url

My helper working hard

DSC02172Medium_zps8a7a6a36.jpg

DSC02174Medium_zpsaad4e53b.jpg

I got bored of drilling out spot welds at this point so I just cut out this bit

DSC02183Medium_zps05ca3de4.jpg

Looks a bit cleaner

DSC02186Medium_zpsc1d880b8.jpg

DSC02187Medium_zpsb8654e14.jpg

Scrap Pile is getting bigger

DSC02184Medium_zps4e5bd65e.jpg

Rear strut brace gone smile.png

DSC02188Medium_zpse36933b0.jpg

DSC02189Medium_zps0139b5fd.jpg

Last piece above the fuel tank gone

DSC02193Medium_zpsed5ca1b4.jpgDSC02194Medium_zpsebf1b186.jpg

Pile of scrap is pretty high now

DSC02195Medium_zps3ec42d88.jpg

Next steps were to do some of the easier jobs so.....

Doors off

DSC02196Medium_zps0fca30cc.jpg

DSC02197Medium_zps56d0cf10.jpg

Boot off

DSC02200Medium_zpsc58d2370.jpg

Bonnet and Wings off

DSC02176Medium_zps86428da4.jpg

DSC02178Medium_zps2fd64c40.jpg

Right I'll let you all have a read through this stuff and I'll update later today or tomorrow with the Dashboard, heaters and wiring harness removal pics :)

Stay tuned

• Like 1

For the guys wanting to know roughly what this will sound like and what the skyline used to sound like. Here a couple of vids which might help :)

The rest of the weekends work will be going up tonight :)

• Like 3

Cant wait to see how this progresses!

Keep watching on here and check out my facebook page for updates too :)

if you come up with any brilliant tricks that may help me and my car on practise days or anyone on here please post them

Hi Stevo, what do you need help with my man? I can probably help with a few bits now if you let me know what you need. Is there a drifting section on the forum?

I'll be able to help more once I've started developing parts, like for more lock, strengthening the subframes, moving the rack forward, etc. etc.

It looks like your avatar is at Norfolk arena :) will you be down there on July 13th for the charity night? I'm going to be helping out so can hop in with you if you like :)

Hi Bizz

Indead it is norfolk and yep will be down there

Just anything really ive not ever need to have car to a point of an dedicated drift setup so following this will just be nice to get some tips that i can try to apply to my own car,

As atm im driving basically a factory spec car, with little e36 leaving me in clouds of smoke, although im sure this is driver issues not the car .

Hi Bizz

Indead it is norfolk and yep will be down there

Just anything really ive not ever need to have car to a point of an dedicated drift setup so following this will just be nice to get some tips that i can try to apply to my own car,

As atm im driving basically a factory spec car, with little e36 leaving me in clouds of smoke, although im sure this is driver issues not the car .

Awesome, Have you been drifting much, sure I've seen you there a few times when I've been down. Dont worry about the little E36 with more seat time and a few tweaks here and there the Z will destroy it and he won't see anything apart from tyre smoke :D

Keep an eye on this and feel free to ask any questions as we're going along

• Like 1

Looking forward to watching this. I really enjoy reading threads about you guys that aren't afraid to get stuck in.

I'd stress about taking some plastic trim off let alone the work you are undertaking!

• Like 3

OK...... so over the weekend the dash board came out with what's left of the interior in the front.

First things first............. I won't be needing this anymore

DSC02199Medium_zps79913d88.jpg

Then the dash came out. Can't believe the amount of wires in comparison to the skyline. Also all of the ECU's and little modules hidden everywhere in there

DSC02201Medium_zps2e68fb3a.jpg

Next I started to remove that big wiring harness, which took quite a bit of routing out

DSC02203Medium_zpsdb63ab3e.jpg

DSC02204Medium_zpsa0208bda.jpg

Ended up with all this!! which weighs about 10kg

DSC02202Medium_zps728a6952.jpg

Out came the under dash cross member. This will be going back in eventually but with a few of the unrequired lugs and stuff cut off. It's quite a work of art

DSC02205Medium_zpsd29f0361.jpg

Heater blower already out now to lift out the main climate control unit. If anyone is after a blower that big black box let me know as I won't be needing it anymore

DSC02206Medium_zpse2c6f72e.jpg

Gone!!

DSC02207Medium_zpsac7480e9.jpg

Now for all the sound deadening. This is almost as little fun to take out as the spot welds but my girlfriend does actually enjoy doing it, so it's role reversal now. I'll man the Kettle and she can do the work :D

DSC02208Medium_zps1c8116f9.jpg

DSC02209Medium_zps3182d3c7.jpg

There is so much more to do, then the wire brush will be out to get rid of the rest of the little bits of glue left over by the hammer and chisel.

I hope you're enjoying the build so far. It's all destruction at the moment so really looking forward to starting to put new bits in.

Feel free to ask any questions or give any tips/suggestions :)

Edited by bizz
  • Like 1

Lookin to start drifting myself at the local track that's opening in fife. Knockhill too dangerous for a newbie like me.. Been sideways a few times on it now and had complete squeaky bum moments lol!

Can't wait to see this unfold! Will be an absolute monster!

Are you a mechanic by trade?