Bizz's LS3 6.2l V8 350Z Drift Car Project - IT CAN DRIFT!! :)

bizz

Hi everyone, As you can see I am new to the forum and I am new to owning a 350Z.

I live up in the North East and work as an engineer by trade and love playing with cars in my spare time. A friend took me to watch a JDM Allstars (now Drift Allstars) night fight back in 2007 and from then I was hooked. I was invited by the organisers to go to their drift school and give it try, with never driving a RWD car before I took to it quite well and I soon found myself in possession of an R33 Skyline GTST. I then went to pretty much every practice day around the country getting as much seat time as possible.

This is how it used to look....

IMG_0810Medium.jpg

I've competed in both Drift Allstars and the British Drift Championship becoming British Semi-Pro champion in 2010 and Pro class runner up in 2011

The car changed many times over the passed 5 years increasing in horsepower, until I imported this monster of an engine from the US which completely transformed it :)

DSC01271_zps62998fe8.jpg

This is how the car looked before it was sold about 3 weeks ago

295049_10151568814135788_337099872_n.jpg

403380_444662858902337_1582349272_n.jpg

So enough about me and my previous motor and on to the new project :D

It's a 54 plate UK model that has already been stripped off of most of the parts that I don't need for my project

DSC02144Medium_zpsd714053a.jpg

DSC02145Medium_zpsf7640b6e.jpg

DSC02150Medium_zps4687ec9e.jpg

I am already underway with fully stripping the car of all unneccesary weight and parts ready to start fully seam welding the shell and fitting the multipoint rollcage before doing anymore fabrication for the engine. I'm also hoping to keep it road legal so I can enjoy the car away from the track.

I hope you will enjoy the build and I will post up more pics once I have them uploaded.

Please follow my facebook page for more up to the minute updates https://www.facebook...81801536?ref=hl

Bizz :)

Edited by bizz
  • Like 5

I think I'll be keeping a very close eye on this.

Expect a PM during your build as I'm planning a LSA swap winter come spring. I guess you're utilising the Sikky kit and a T56 box?

Plans for ECU?

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind comments so far :)

Wasso - No I'm making all of the mounts for the engine and tranmission in house so will be able to make up a kit for fitting the LS engines into the 350 shell no problem for you. That's what I did for the Skyline as Sikky didn't make a kit for that and it was sooo expensive.

The transmission I use is the TK6060 which is the newer version of the T56. It has cooling vents in the bell housing and an internal pump to feed the oil to an external cooler, absolutely essential for these boxes as they get seriously hot.

I used the standard ECU for the last 2 years. It was great, mapable and very capable. The only downside is that you can't do live mapping with it so you have to keep turning the engine off and downloading the new map everytime you make a change. I think I will be moving down the Emerald route for this season. Hope this helps but feel free to drop me a PM anytime

The LS bug has hit the zed scene as well. . It's contagious ... ;)

Definitely!!! I got the LS instead of going mental in modifying the standard skyline engine. I'm glad I made the choice and have not looked back since, for old technology they are fantastic engines. Just keep them cool and they'll run for ever :)

haha hope I can be of service :) Done a lot of research about fitting the LS into the 350 chassis and it looks a lot simpler than doing the R33.

You'll need a new sump too to fit over the subframe but I'll be making that too. Picks of all this stuff will go up as it unfolds so you can check out my workmanship before you buy :-P

At the moment its all about the tear down getting the chassis prepped for the big work ;D

wasso this could be the man you've been waiting for! no excuses just get that LSA in there! :lol:

Couldn't be better timing me thinks.

Thanks for the kind comments so far :)

Wasso - No I'm making all of the mounts for the engine and tranmission in house so will be able to make up a kit for fitting the LS engines into the 350 shell no problem for you. That's what I did for the Skyline as Sikky didn't make a kit for that and it was sooo expensive.

The transmission I use is the TK6060 which is the newer version of the T56. It has cooling vents in the bell housing and an internal pump to feed the oil to an external cooler, absolutely essential for these boxes as they get seriously hot.

I used the standard ECU for the last 2 years. It was great, mapable and very capable. The only downside is that you can't do live mapping with it so you have to keep turning the engine off and downloading the new map everytime you make a change. I think I will be moving down the Emerald route for this season. Hope this helps but feel free to drop me a PM anytime

Agreed the Sikky kit isn't cheap for what it is. Have you looked into the Syvecs? But then again mine will be a street car and will want as much OEM gear responding as it should, but I guess in your application its more about the delivery.

Isn't the TK6060 box used with the Caddy CTS-V (just checked parts world in Cannock) the Tk6060 is in fact cheaper than the T56.

Interesting.....

The LS bug has hit the zed scene as well. . It's contagious ... ;)

Definitely!!! I got the LS instead of going mental in modifying the standard skyline engine. I'm glad I made the choice and have not looked back since, for old technology they are fantastic engines. Just keep them cool and they'll run for ever :)

I'm originally an rx7 boy and they are starting to be popular with them now .

Agreed the Sikky kit isn't cheap for what it is. Have you looked into the Syvecs? But then again mine will be a street car and will want as much OEM gear responding as it should, but I guess in your application its more about the delivery.

Isn't the TK6060 box used with the Caddy CTS-V (just checked parts world in Cannock) the Tk6060 is in fact cheaper than the T56.

Interesting.....

I think they're used in those too but my engine, box, prop, etc. etc. etc. all came from a Camaro SS (Bumble Bee from Transformers :-P ) I have seen that it's cheaper not really sure why though as it's the replacement for the T56

I have definitely looked at Syvecs but the best quote I've been given for it is £3k fitted and mapped which I really can't afford at the moment :(

Cheers guys :)

It's a long road ahead but I want to be able to use that car next season and it has to be complete for the Autosport show at the NEC in Jan. I'm looking at having it out for testing though in the next 4 months money permitting. I travel a lot with work which eats up a bit of time but as long as I can keep the cash coming in I should be able to achieve that.

I uploaded my new pics last night so will get them up at lunchtime

• Like 1