Forum sale rules and ettiquette.

14N

Just a thought, what would be the correct ettiquette in the following scenario? :shrug:

An item is listed in the for sale section and 2 vultures swoop in for the kill at the same time, but approach the item slightly differently.

Vulture 1 posts a "PM sent" message on the for sale thread, with say a 12:00 o' clock time stamp.

Vulture 1 them PM's the seller saying that they'll take the advetised item, with a time stamp of say 12:02.

Vulture 2 decides to go straight in with the PM (without posting on the thread) and sends the seller a PM that has a time stamp of 12:00.

Who is the 'winning' forum member? :shrug:

Just thinking out loud.....

I would say dibs on the thread followed with a PM...

Also don't say Vulture, his name is Adrian :lol:

I'd agree this is the correct procedure.

And yeah, it was the polished strut brace that started the whole thought process! :lol:

Neither. It's whoever the seller wants to sell to.

I'd sell to the person who offered me more, or the person I feel is more likely to pay. For example, I'd rather sell to you Ian than random bloke, even if they technically got there first.

If you must have an answer out of me, all else being equal then I'd sell to the person who actually PM'd first.

• Like 1

I believe that the seller should be contacted directly in the public domain, ie on the topic/thread itself and then arrangement's made in private (hence "dibs" and "PM"). This keeps it simple and clear for prospective 'buyers.' I also feel that if the asking price has been met, then it is the sellers duty to sell the item to them, even if somebody offers an increased sum moments after. My understanding of the 'For Sale' section is that it is an advert, not an auction room, hence why a set price is requested by admin.

Regardless of this, it is down to the seller to establish who he or she would rather sell to, but personally I would follow the moral code. So in the scenario above, I would sell to vulture one.

I'd sell to the person who offered me more, or the person I feel is more likely to pay. For example, I'd rather sell to you Ian than random bloke, even if they technically got there first.

If you must have an answer out of me, all else being equal then I'd sell to the person who actually PM'd first.

+1 :thumbs:

Cool so the site is becoming eBay :headhurt:

When I come to sell my bits it will be a free for all :yahoo:

PM sent doesn't mean anything. If you recieved a PM at 12 from V2 saying they'll buy then one from V1 two minutes later saying the same, then I would suggest V2 wins as they declared their intentions first.

If however you got a PM and a post on the thread both at 12 saying they'll have it, I guess it's completely up to you providing they are both offering the same money and both picking up or needing posted. I'd rather have someone pick it up and pay cash than accept a transfer and have to go to the post office.

For clarity, I didn't mean that I'd want an auction-style sale. What I meant was, if the item was up for £10 +P&P and Person 1 offers me £10 flat which I would actually take, but person 2 offers me £10 +P&P then I'd take the latter, even if they weren't quite there first.

• Like 1

Are you selling the gimp suit soon then Dave?

Are you selling the gimp suit soon then Dave?

I get different sort of offers for that ;)

And yeah offers are fine I only have an issue with not putting a price up at the start really...

Anyone moaning should remember how it used to be with threads dissapearing and posts having to be individually approved :surrender:

I thought we were all forum members and not just randoms but least i know where i stand being a new member :surrender: Also thoughtt it was a for sale section and not an auction . Feel a little disappointed with the " I'd much rather sell to you remark " TBH as that just harks to PMs between mates even if some " random " has got there first . :thumbdown:

• Like 1

I thought we were all forum members and not just randoms but least i know where i stand being a new member :surrender: Also thoughtt it was a for sale section and not an auction . Feel a little disappointed with the " I'd much rather sell to you remark " TBH as that just harks to PMs between mates even if some " random " has got there first . :thumbdown:

I'd agree with this

At the end of the day its ultimately up to the seller to decide who he wants to accept the offer from. From discussions in the past, first PM to the post wins as not everyone wants to post up their "dibs" on the thread and that is totally up to them. So if in doubt, PM first and then reply to the thread second.

• Like 1

I'd agree with this

+1 If you don't want to sell to a "random" then PM the people you know. Once you post a for sale thread it shouldn't matter whether you have 1 or 1,000,000 posts as long as you can pay and correspond quickly.

As others have said Its up to who the seller wants to sell it to. I think the "Dibs" post is pretty stupid and is always gonna lead to petty squables. I say if you want a item pm the seller, you dont need to post in his thread unless you have questions about the item. If the seller gets several pm's, they can simply choose the person who pm'd him first and post in the thread that the item is sold. Why make it more complicated than this?

rule of dibs is the same as shotgun, its as true as the laws of physics and must never be broken.

so just in case any one is unsure, at the next meet if there are any passenger rides

i_call_shotgun_sticker-p217794771309252887qjcl_400.jpg

and thats how i roll

• Like 4