police harassment?

I got harrassed today,I wish sometimes they would just stop you straight away and talk to you instead of following and looking for something. Im law abiding just like others if im not breaking the law don't bother me.

definately useful to know your rights these days

Don't agree with the way the hapless officer behaved but the driver comes across as quite argumentative from the outset. I think they both wound each other up.

Exactly, thats why I said he would have been tasered and locked up if it was in the US....

Defo!

I got pulled on holiday in Nevada at the end of last year, the copper was really polite and didn't give me the customary UK patronising patter, just had a word and sent me off on my way. So much more pleasant than any encounter I've had in the UK. Obviously I didn't give him any sh!t, he was packing a piece and he could have buried me in the desert!

This isn't from my dash cam, but it's actually pretty close to how it went down.

Had the same sort of thing happen to me on my old Bike just cause I overtook him at 30MPH on a 40MPH limit road when everyone else stayed behind him hassled me for 40 minutes & gave the bike the most thorough check I've ever seen done then got the arsehole & left when I passed ----- BUT REMEMBER NOT ALL COPPERS ARE LIKE THIS SOME ARE DECENT ---- & it's those ones we have to thank for keeping the roads reasonably safe.

Personally i'd just cooperate, what the point in arguing about it. If you're fully legal and done nothing wrong and can prove it, then you have nothing to fear.

Once upon a time, I'd have agreed with this - however, I've had an occasion more recently which has generated a different opinion.

My hackles raise particularly over the " . . . done nothing wrong and can prove it . . ." If you've been driving within the speed limit but the policeman says "I had to do 65 to catch up to you in this 40 limit" how do you prove otherwise?

I was stopped - but without a video camera running I could NOT PROVE that I was not exceeding the speed limit. I already had 6 points and I watch my speed very carefully, even cross checking it against the Sat Nav to make sure I don't transgress - but the issue is - you can't PROVE it.

Once they've stopped you they just will not let you go even though they can't find anything on you. The copper who stopped me did not have any radar or any way of proving excessive speed and I refuted it vigorously. He spent ages going over my car to try and find something (Car in perfect mechanical order - all insured, tax disc on show - so he couldn't) and because his system was running so slowly it took him ages to confirm my insurance - after about 40 minutes he let me go still without proving anything but he did so with SUCH bad grace - he couldn't do me for anything but he gave the impression he was desperate fo fine something - ANYTHING - to do me for.

If he'd had the wits to admit he couldn't do me for anything after 10 minutes - if he'd had the grace to admit he was in error - I'd have been OK.

The problem now is - I fear (yes, FEAR) that they'll make something up just to justify whay they stopped you, and my trust in the police has dropped dramatically, from generally supportive to anticipating being fitted up for something.

Bad policing has a very destructive effect on the attitudes of the public - and that's entirely due to their reluctance to just admit an over zealous stop and to let you get on your way.

• Like 1

did he forget to put his lights on at the end? :lol:

No reason for copper to pull him and was clearly an uneventful night (until then anyway). Equally there was no reason for driver to be that argumentative, as rightly so, the officer doesn't need reason to pull somebody over, although clearly is a bonus! haha

I don't think the driver did anything wrong, he was driving safe and within the speed limit and the copper would have done him for due care and attention I bet if he wasent recording.

Yes, I think that was what he was going for, but police still need evidence. It can't just be his word against another.

My hackles raise particularly over the " . . . done nothing wrong and can prove it . . ." If you've been driving within the speed limit but the policeman says "I had to do 65 to catch up to you in this 40 limit" how do you prove otherwise?

I was stopped - but without a video camera running I could NOT PROVE that I was not exceeding the speed limit. I already had 6 points and I watch my speed very carefully, even cross checking it against the Sat Nav to make sure I don't transgress - but the issue is - you can't PROVE it.

Without trying to be deliberately and irritatingly pedantic, you don't have to prove anything. They do, in court.

Without trying to be deliberately and irritatingly pedantic, you don't have to prove anything. They do, in court.

yes but if its their word against your - the magistrate will usually go with the PC

Edited by ioneabee

yes but if its their word against your - the magistrate will usually go with the PC

Not without evidence

Driver was over confrontational which is never going down well, but on the other hand there was ABSOLUTLY no reason for him to be stopped. He also said I don't have to have a reason to stop you. As far as I know, this is incorrect and they do have to have a suspicion of something or evidence of wrong doing. Bellend coppers as per usual. Yes im sure somewhere there are a good few, but none of them work in traffic im pretty sure.