Accident

Daryl

They say Night shift is dangerous and they are not kidding. Spent 3.5 hours in A+E yesterday afternoon and narrowly escaped going into theatre.

I got home from work at 7am yesterday morning, had a couple of hours sleep and helped my mate change his wheels on his BMW. Decided to go get my hair cut, so went to fire the car up. I leant in, put my left foot on the clutch and fired the car up. Not normally leaving it in gear on my drive as its flat, as I released the clutch the car launched itself down the drive way, with the door obviously open and most of my body and right leg outside the car. It got 2 yards before the corner of my house intervened. Dont know how, but i managed to get in the car and stop it just after it flew out the gates and was fast approaching the house opposite. Still not sure if it was the gate post or the wall that caused the worst of the damage though

The result is a mangled drivers door and a bone deep gash on my leg that required some very painful attention. The big toe on my right foot was dragged along the ground or wall too, so iv got some very raw patches on my toe as well. So now im on several pain killers and antibiotics, cant drink for a week, cant drive, and cant cover work this weekend, which was my responsibility. So to summerise, im in a pretty sorry state, and need an Azure drivers door asap. The glass is ok, but not sure about the window motor or door handle.

So sorry to hear the news Daryl. Sounds awful, but credit to your efforts and preventing a bad situation getting even worse.

Hope you, the car and the house are repaired quickly and easily and you are back to work, at an obviously important time for your employers. :thumbs:

Thanks for the sympathies, was a stupid accident, and i feel stupid that it happened. Hand brake did nothing stopping the car launching, but I should have remembered/noticed that it was still in gear. Hey ho. Atleast with my mate coming round in the morning, the gates at the end of the drive were open, otherwise I would have burst through them, with me still hanging out the car, then I really wouldnt have been able to stop it crashing into the house over the road. No one one Ebay breaking an Azure at the moment, but hoping with the help of friends and the forum I can locate one quickly and get it all sorted.

Thanks for the sympathies, was a stupid accident, and i feel stupid that it happened. Hand brake did nothing stopping the car launching, but I should have remembered/noticed that it was still in gear. Hey ho. Atleast with my mate coming round in the morning, the gates at the end of the drive were open, otherwise I would have burst through them, with me still hanging out the car, then I really wouldnt have been able to stop it crashing into the house over the road. No one one Ebay breaking an Azure at the moment, but hoping with the help of friends and the forum I can locate one quickly and get it all sorted.

The hand break really is pathetic. Hope you get better soon

I saw a young feller do that same sort of thing in a jag where i use to work and it went off the end of the ramp which luckily was on the ground.

It rode over the stops on the ramp and to this day i dont know how he fitted between the car and the ramp post but he did without any injuries.

I guess that has always stuck in my mind to make sure i check and never do it as its easy if you lose focus for just a moment.

Dont feel to bad its all mendable and hope your pain is able to be controlled.

They say Night shift is dangerous and they are not kidding. Spent 3.5 hours in A+E yesterday afternoon and narrowly escaped going into theatre.

I got home from work at 7am yesterday morning, had a couple of hours sleep and helped my mate change his wheels on his BMW. Decided to go get my hair cut, so went to fire the car up. I leant in, put my left foot on the clutch and fired the car up. Not normally leaving it in gear on my drive as its flat, as I released the clutch the car launched itself down the drive way, with the door obviously open and most of my body and right leg outside the car.

:scare: Sound scary, glad you got away without needing theatre.

I hate driving after night shifts, I've come close to crashing several times driving post night shifts, and know of a few colleagues who have crashed whilst driving home after a busy shift. I use to plan things to do post night shifts, as I always felt silly "wasting" a day sleeping, but these days if I'm knackered after a night shift I just go to sleep.

Hope you get over your injuries quickly, bits on the car can always be replaced :thumbs:.