How many miles is too many?

saiper

Just out of interest, would anyone not bother looking at a car if it was advertised as having no service history?

I only ask as i bought mine with a few receipts but no service book. Its a 2002 import with 70k on it. Its tidy and ive done servicing, clutches, tyres ect myself but it worries me that ill have a hard time selling it if i needed to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most people put a lot of stock in garage servicing. I really don't. I worked in the motor industry, both private and franchised for years and I just don't trust them.

But most people do put a lot of stock in "FSH" by a garage.

• Like 1

Just out of interest, would anyone not bother looking at a car if it was advertised as having no service history?

I only ask as i bought mine with a few receipts but no service book. Its a 2002 import with 70k on it. Its tidy and ive done servicing, clutches, tyres ect myself but it worries me that ill have a hard time selling it if i needed to!

Most people put a lot of stock in garage servicing. I really don't. I worked in the motor industry, both private and franchised for years and I just don't trust them.

But most people do put a lot of stock in "FSH" by a garage.

I know what you mean, i work as a technician myself and when ive serviced it myself ive done a full fluids change, engine oil gear and diff oils, brake and clutch fluid ect ect but its weather or not people will accept a list of receipts for all sorts rather than a stamp for a simple oil change and a brief check over!

• Like 1

Doesn't bother me personally. Not with a car like the Z. Recent MOT's and receipts for any work are helpful, but a car could have been serviced every 2k miles and have an underlying issue, or it could be serviced every 20k miles but well maintained in between, and you don't really gather which from a stack of receipts.

88 zed, did you keep all the receipts for parts you added? When I do this I also write the mileage on the receipts too, did it recently when I replaced discs and pads.

Yes jay kay, that should be good enough shouldn't it

• 4 weeks later...

I reckon i'm 3 years away from hitting 200K over 178K now but only doing about 7000 per year

have you hit 200.000k yet ???

Slow answer and hi to everyone as it has been a while since I've been on.

Not yet is the answer...getting close as i'm at 197000 now. Not being at as many meets has reduced the mileage down a bit...but I'll get there.

• Like 1

Warming a car up properly is key.

I change gear very gently and no hard acceleration until the temp is up to normal.

They say most engine damage is within 10 minutes of turning the engine on and that's the rule of thumb I go by.

Edited by Jewell
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

208.000 miles still going strong! (touch wood) after nearly 10 years of ownership :)

just had a major service and also replaced all fluids gearbox, diff, brake fluid, power-steering fluid every thing that can be replaced has been .

timing chain is next no rattle yet! but like to do it for peace of mind . any one know a good mechainc to do it? local ish to buckinghamshire

only takes about a litre of oil every 4 to 5 months

now can go back to adding more mods.

and hopefully many many more miles ahead.

208.000.jpg

• Like 2

Kack fuel

Kack oil

Kack service intervals

Expect less

Can you ever know all of those 3? Nope.

The milage game is a lottery. Lower the miles the less chance of long term damage being carried out but that said I know owners on here who I'd buy a 200k car from before I'd buy a 100k car blind.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

i'm really lucky that, after 11 years and 85k miles, mine made 280hp @ the fly before the uprev. Yes, i had the usual bolt on mods, but what it suggests is that the engine is in really good nick and i know it is because it has a fully booked up/stamped service history of P1,2 and 3s. Plus mark at Abbey said, it was a "gooden" ;)

Edited by Rock_Steady

Mine is at 140k and is fine mate, good and even compression across all cylinders, gearbox sound. Some suspension parts and other bits replaced/upgraded. I do all my own servicing as far as possible with high quality oil, etc. I stopped caring about the miles long ago! Don't know what the power output is now but my butt dyno is happy - hopefully I'll win the uprev raffle and get a more accurate assessment!!

For me, the zed is a keeper so when the engine or gearbox or whatever eventually dies I'll just rebuild or put new ones in!

• 5 months later...

Still going strong and in daily use 210,832 miles

Hey buddy i just kept it well serviced I do alot of miles!

Just had new disc and pads all round

And replaced all the bushes on the car aswell

also new adjustable camber arms toe arms and lock out kit and also adjusable drop links all round and new tires all round

Also had new twin clutch and lightened flywheel uprated servo and master cylinder aswell

Basicly a brand new car under the shell also have a spare engine just in case the worse happens (touch wood so far so good)

Also had metal coolant pipes leak so was replaced

And new afm rest is general upkeep etc

Starts first time every time :)

What ever the car needs it's gets

If it breaks I get uprated parts if there available.

20161208_231712_zpsjhle2795.jpg

repair jobs worth noting at that mileage?

Edited by Y23DRH

Thanks buddy :)

Was wondering if there were any higher millage ones on the forum or know of any in the UK??

Unlike some I like to drive and enjoy my cars more miles the better :)

The highest I've seen on this forum is 180k or so, A couple of years ago there were several Zed's in The States over 200k, top one was around 225k.

Pete

Still going strong and in daily use 210,832 miles

Hey buddy i just kept it well serviced I do alot of miles!

Just had new disc and pads all round

And replaced all the bushes on the car aswell

also new adjustable camber arms toe arms and lock out kit and also adjusable drop links all round and new tires all round

Also had new twin clutch and lightened flywheel uprated servo and master cylinder aswell

Basicly a brand new car under the shell also have a spare engine just in case the worse happens (touch wood so far so good)

Also had metal coolant pipes leak so was replaced

And new afm rest is general upkeep etc

Starts first time every time :)

What ever the car needs it's gets

If it breaks I get uprated parts if there available.

20161208_231712_zpsjhle2795.jpg

repair jobs worth noting at that mileage?

I agree 200% !! 168k miles on my 2003 g35...Built in 2002 it's over 14 years old driven accross the USA, England, and Germany..Runs like the first day I drove it. I do my maintenance early per on time and use the best I can get my hands on. It's serves me well and has never let me down or left me stranded..Except for the starter that just dies 5k miles ago... Replaced with OEM. No issues.

For me OEM or better and I research before replacing.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just bough a zed with 13700 miles and it drives better than my 68000 mile zed, it's all about how many owners and service history and how it's been driven, these cars are getting old now so best to buy with your eyes and ears rather than what the miles are, within reason of course,