How many miles is too many?

saiper

How many miles would you say is to many when looking to buy a 350z? Reason I ask is because I went to look at one the other day, and although very tidy and with full service history, it had close to 90k on the clock. Are the engines generally considered solid even past the 90/100k mark?

Cheers

J.

90k miles :scare: .........jesus christ, run for the hills :bang:

Mate forget the mileage, these cars will do very high miles (should do 200k, but i've personally not seen one).

At 90k-100k you'll be fine, just go on the condition of the car, and make sure it has a full/good service history :)

• Like 1

As long as the service history is good, the condition of the car is good and you can 'tell' it's been looked after and maintained, it should be fine.

Mine's on 92k now and all original. I've only needed to change the gearbox twice, clutch 3 times, rear diff once, a set of new pistons and rings and 2 new cylinder heads, but just like Trigger's broom, it's just as good as it was when it left the factory.

(Apart from the fact that my car is on 92k, none of the last statement is true).

• Like 9

As long as the service history is good, the condition of the car is good and you can 'tell' it's been looked after and maintained, it should be fine.

Mine's on 92k now and all original. I've only needed to change the gearbox twice, clutch 3 times, rear diff once, a set of new pistons and rings and 2 new cylinder heads, but just like Trigger's broom, it's just as good as it was when it left the factory.

(Apart from the fact that my car is on 92k, none of the last statement is true).

:lol: :lol:

My mates E36 M3 is at 150,000 miles - Dyno results last week were 326BHP running faultlessly - And still outruns my 350Z with 50k on it!

Mileage means nothing if it has been serviced well!

Now I know I am comparing BMW to Nissan, but take for example the E30 325i that was on a rolling road for 4 years that clocked 1 million miles and serviced with Mobil1 products. The parts that they removed from the lump were good enough to go back on the shelf.

Modern cars can handle high mileage well with no problems. Most people these day say buy on condition/history rather than mileage. HOWEVER..... when it comes to sell your car, not all buyers think the same way. There still is a psychological thing about cars which may have 80k upwards on the clock which puts a lot of buyers off.

Personally except for the last couple of cars ive bought, ive always bought cars which have had 80k upwards on the clock. One thing I notice though is that with most cars ive had, 80k is the mileage when things need replacing, like brakes, suspension, clutch etc... so really your better off buying one with 90k on which has had all those things done, than one at 70k or 80k which is coming up to needing those things changed.

• Like 4

Modern cars can handle high mileage well with no problems. Most people these day say buy on condition/history rather than mileage. HOWEVER..... when it comes to sell your car, not all buyers think the same way. There still is a psychological thing about cars which may have 80k upwards on the clock which puts a lot of buyers off.

Personally except for the last couple of cars ive bought, ive always bought cars which have had 80k upwards on the clock. One thing I notice though is that with most cars ive had, 80k is the mileage when things need replacing, like brakes, suspension, clutch etc... so really your better off buying one with 90k on which has had all those things done, than one at 70k or 80k which is coming up to needing those things changed.

A bit far fetched when you think that not everyone services there cars at the exact same mileage. A car at 60k mile may still have had parts replaced or serviced that another hasnt at 80k...

Also, I wouldn't say that all modern cars will last longer or handle the miles any better, it is still down to how it is serviced and built.

Imho.

Ha. My heart dropped when I read that. Then I noticed the "disclaimer". Nice one :lol:

Im sure I've read somewhere Nissan built them to last until 200K miles obviously must be maintained religiously I'd imagine up to that mileage :lol:

The running gear should last 200k easily but as with all cars age will be the biggest factor, I very much doubt that a well maintained car doing 3k a year will ever see 200k :) .

Pete

Buy on condition, not on mileage.

+1 And for a bit of comfort, SMD's DE is approaching 110k I believe and running 300hp via uprev etc and uses very little oil if any :) So they are out there but Dan's advice is soooo true

Buy on condition, not on mileage.

+1 And for a bit of comfort, SMD's DE is approaching 110k I believe and running 300hp via uprev etc and uses very little oil if any :) So they are out there but Dan's advice is soooo true

Yep on 110k, no issues at 3 MOTs, or at any of the services, doesn't use more than a teaspoon of oil between services, running at 300bhp via upRev and gets me over 32mpg on a decent long run (100 mile+)