How many miles is too many?

saiper

As J's Zed said in an earlier message, the VQ was designed to cover 200,000 miles before anything major needed doing to it, although this is relative and depends on how often it was serviced, and whether it was serviced at the recommended intervals, by whom and what quality of oil was used, whether it was thrashed to within an inch of its life before up to operating temperature or driven 'carefully'. If it was driven on very short journeys then this would've caused more damage than plenty of motorway journeys. Generally they are pretty hardy motors.

Buy on condition, not on mileage.

+1 And for a bit of comfort, SMD's DE is approaching 110k I believe and running 300hp via uprev etc and uses very little oil if any :) So they are out there but Dan's advice is soooo true

Yep on 110k, no issues at 3 MOTs, or at any of the services, doesn't use more than a teaspoon of oil between services, running at 300bhp via upRev and gets me over 32mpg on a decent long run (100 mile+)

Likewise. Bought new, now on 88K, no major issues at MOTs or at any of the services, doesn't use more than a teaspoon of oil between services.

Always used a Nissan dealer for servicing/MOTs - but I've changed dealers when I've not been happy with them for one reason or another.

• 5 months later...

I bought mine with over 100k on it. Did not put me off. Bought on condition not mileage but still serviced it anyway for peace of mind. I certainly hope whoever buys mine has the same mentality as these engines go on forever.

I retract evening I said about high millage 350z's. :angry:

Mine let go at 102k with a full history, bottom end shat itself.

I was close to the limiter at the time :blink: but it's not something I expected from a Nissan. I didn't investigate it further but I'm 90 percent sure something else/ancillary let go to cause it.

In its defence I will say I've not heard of many going bang. I gave it a hard time performance wise (but it's a performance car) and it was cheap enough that by the time I'd taken bits off and sold the car as it was I wasn't much out of pocket. I've lost more in the past in depreciation :D

• Like 1

Go for as low a mileage you can get in your budget with a good history of servicing receipts (stamps in a book mean naff all). Personally I wouldn't buy a high miler even with lots of service history simply because selling the car at a decent price quickly would be an utter ball ache.

As with any used car purchase there are risks, its up to you to minimise the risks and lower miles is one of those you can minimise.

• Like 2

I reckon i'm 3 years away from hitting 200K over 178K now but only doing about 7000 per year

Wow just goes to show that high millage ones can last has any one on the forum gone over 200k yet ???

Not on this forum, the highest mileage I've seen posted here is around 180k but on The U.S forums there are a small number over the 200k mark.

Pete

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread but it's an interesting topic so here's my experience and thoughts.

My car's an 07 RevUp

Doesn't burn any more oil than you'd expect from a 3.5 v6, only a very small amount

Does 400 miles a week and has done for the last year

Now on 108,000

Original everything buy brake discs and pads

It's still going extremely strongly, and frankly I'd much rather buy a car like mine that's younger but very well maintained and has done a huge amount of motorway mileage than a 2003 that's done 40k and sat eroding on the drive most of its life. Mine gets new fluids regularly, is kept running for a few hours a day, and shows absolutely no sign of letting up.

I'm gunna keep it til probably about 130-140k mileage. I'm not convinced they 'die at 130k', I expect mine to be in top shape at that point.

Anyone know what's failing on these cars supposedly dying at that mileage?

my roadster is doing good then 206.000 miles and rising every day ( not sure if any on else can beat that or not )

owned the car 9 years now and has been so much fun to modify and drive and own

bought the car with roughly 17.000 miles second owner from new full history etc from day one

always maintained and serviced regularly no expense spared

• Like 6

my roadster is doing good then 206.000 miles and rising every day ( not sure if any on else can beat that or not )

owned the car 9 years now and has been so much fun to modify and drive and own

bought the car with roughly 17.000 miles second owner from new full history etc from day one

always maintained and serviced regularly no expense spared

Nice to see some big milage on these engines :thumbs:

Mines just tripped over the 90k mark and still running strong had it on a dyno last year and made 315hp (fly) apart from an exhaust upgrade it made this from a decent service alone which in my book says that the engine is still healthy I've had no problems with reliability and only had to replace the battery.

Most of my mileage has been motorway (road trips) wth the occasional spirited driving but with constant maintenance and servicing 2 times a year I can see it running for a lot longer.

Like triggers broom, if you change the engine and replace the body work it will run forever. Well maintained, or not, things wear out. Buy high mileage, expect big bills... but then the car itself should be cheaper.

I'd be amazed if many engines get past 150k miles without a major rebuild.

Mines on 120k now. Not burning any oil and I've had no issues (original clutch)

Same here - bought from new and now has 114k miles with original clutch.

As has been said before - servicing is everything :thumbs:

Edited by The Trouser

Mines on 120k now. Not burning any oil and I've had no issues (original clutch)

Same here - bought from new and now has 114k miles with original clutch.

As has been said before - servicing is everything :thumbs:

Very similar to me 113k and original clutch :thumbs:

Just out of interest, would anyone not bother looking at a car if it was advertised as having no service history?

I only ask as i bought mine with a few receipts but no service book. Its a 2002 import with 70k on it. Its tidy and ive done servicing, clutches, tyres ect myself but it worries me that ill have a hard time selling it if i needed to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk