Speeding

Patch

I was on my way home from work one night last week and pulled off the motorway and stopped at the traffic lights, as the lights turned green i overtook the car in front and continued onto the duel carrigeway/slip road.At this point i glanced in my mirror and see a car glued to my rear bumper, as i was still in second gear i gave it a little throttle,but the car was still there.I now decided full throttle was needed and planted it, started to pull away and kept going into third and fourth. Got up to a silly speed and then needed to brake for the bend and next set of lights.

The lights are on red and the car behind eventually catches up, i turn right and the next thing i see is the blue lights in my mirror. f### wacko.gif

He pulls up along side me and tells me to pull over somewhere safe and that he was going to take my licence off me, my heart sank.NO licence, no job, no money etc.....

I pulled into an industrial estate, but the officer had to wait for a few cars to pass before entering the road.By the time he had pulled up i was already out of the car and ready to face the music.I walked over to his window and he kindly told me to take a seat in the back.

Once id shut the door he proceeded to tell me that i was driving like a dick(to which i agreed) and that i was going to get a serious life lesson.I was then cautioned before being show the on car footage, it was quite a strange feeling seeing my car pull away and keep making distance.With my car pulling away the officer said that he was still not recording yet, after a few seconds he said that he was now recording my speed and was still recording as i was braking. Even with me hard on the brakes for part of the distance i still managed an average of 96mph, before the officer could speak i simply said that there was no excuse for driving like that.

I still wasn't sure what was going to happen, but he hadn't arrested me yet.He gave me a severe ear bashing and that if he wanted to he would see me in court and watch the judge strip me of my otherwise clean licence, but this was just a warning, he appreciated the car, but said this isn't the place to do it.

He then let me out of the car and sent me on my way ohmy.gif

The relief i felt was amazing, but i didn't calm down for another few hours.For whatever reason the officer decided that a warning was all that i needed,but i can tell you now it worked. I can assure everyone that i will never hit that speed on a public highway ever again, the reality of loosing my licence was a sobering thought and have since re-evaluated my driving and im a much calmer driver.

I was lucky, very lucky, but have learned a hell of a lot.

Speeding is not big or clever!

Lesson learnt indeed. But what was he doing tailgating you? I assume it was him behind you?

The other thing I find strange is the veiled threats. They can't know exactly what speed you are going if they are following you in a car. I believe the speed that would be recorded would be their speed. If he is only recording whilst you are braking then I suspect the evidence would not stand up in court.

Still. No excuse though.

Edited by scubapics

very very lucky man. I had a similar situation when i got my exhaust fitted as i was on cloud 9 with the sound. Car right up close behind me on a dark road and as i was slowing down for a roundabout i had a few blips of the throttle, turned out it was the cops behind me and got pulled over, the full car searched and all my tyres and everything checked. In the end the policemans conclusion was my exhaust must have a hole in it as its too loud and i had to get it checked at a garage. never once got stopped with my very loud k1 but the first day of having the quieter cobra fitted i get stopped. WTF?

hugely lucky like you said.

wierd what you said about them being on your bumper as well because I had a police car follow me last week. from a roundabout onto a dual carriage way up to 70 mph and at 70 they were no more than 2 car lengths behind me for about a mile. way to close in my opinion and if I'd had to slam the brakes on they would have been straight into the back of me. stupid really.

But back to the point I can imagine how relieved you must have felt! The officer must have been feeling generous to say the least.

Definatly must have caught the officer in a good mood.

I had a marked police car do something similar to me when I was following a 911 on the M1. Me and 911 had both been doing 95+ for a few junctions. It was dark and all i saw was a set of lights steaming up towards me, I remember thinking this guy must be really going for it to catch me up so quickly, and had a split second to choice between either flooring it or pulling in, luckly i choose the latter. Only realised it was marked traffic car when it cruised past and the guys gave me a very stern look. They than booted it off after the 911. They pulled the 911 at the next junction. That was about 3 years ago, these days I perfer to watch my mpg rather than my speedo on M ways :lol:

Edited by gangzoom

Funny, I was going to post *waits on completely useless and adds nothing to the conversation post from Dblock*. It's like we're psychic or something.

Seriously though, why anyone would think that nailing it to 'escape' from the car behind is a good idea is beyond me. I now know that's not what BBK was on about, but the point remains the same. Is that what you would do, then?

• Like 2

Funny, I was going to post *waits on completely useless and adds nothing to the conversation post from Dblock*. It's like we're psychic or something.

Seriously though, why anyone would think that nailing it to 'escape' from the car behind is a good idea is beyond me. I now know that's not what BBK was on about, but the point remains the same. Is that what you would do, then?

whatever. how is it useless. Your the god of driving and have never ever done anything bad. Guy said he learnt his lesson but thats not good enough to you. You HAVE to make sure everyone knows you are better than them.

• Like 1

Some police are dicks. Some are alright (or just cba with the paperwork).

If someone starts tailgating you. Just brake. The highway code states you should do this to create space for them to pass so if the police pull you for it they don't have a leg to stand on. Then if it's not the police you can always replenish your ego by chasing after them.

Anyone who drives a 350z and says they don't speed on fun roads is either lying or a poser who should be on a diesil TT.

At the end of the day, you did the right thing and grovelled. I've done it before and it worked.

Many moons ago I was caught doing 99.6mph on a motorway, nearly empty, Sunday afternoon, dry and totally in a dwam! I got fined £600 and had 3 penalty points lumped on me.

I considered myself lucky! You were unbelievably lucky!!

That was in 1996 the day after England beat Scotland in Euro '96, so the date sticks in my mind. A few weeks later, a police car in Aberdeen mounted the kerb, speeding, on a non emergency call and killed two pensioners, the officer that was driving was fined £300 and got 6 points, he didn't even lose his job!!

Moral is, speed can kill, but depending who does the killing or the speeding different outcomes are the norm. You got let off, on another day with another cop, you would have been done and had there been a fatality, you would certainly been sent to jail. Count yourself lucky, twice!

I've been pulled twice in the 370Z, once for a minor, 36 MPH in town, hand-held radar-gun type deal, the other for a very similar situation. He had me bang to rights but wasn't in a car with any speed measuring equipment.

I did the right thing like you - confessed immediately and apologised profusely. He gave me the commensurate talking-to then took a step back from the car and said "Nice car though, it is late a night and there isn't much around. I can see why you did it."

What a nice copper!

Most traffic cops are petrol heads, so they know the score. Just don't drive like a total dick and if you do get caught, have the good grace to take it fair and square.

Most traffic cops are petrol heads, so they know the score. Just don't drive like a total dick and if you do get caught, have the good grace to take it fair and square.

+1 - good advice and knowing we have a few as members on here who share the passion for 350/370s.

Quite understandable though that while they may read this type of thread, it is not something they may wish to comment uopon in a public forum.

OP certainly did the right thing when pulled - with his luck I think I'll drop him pm for next weeks lottery ticket numbers!

• Like 1

I think we've all done some stupid things in cars during our driving careers. I was recounting my 3 most retarded driving moments to the GF last night. Looking back on them it does make me facepalm a bit, and also think how lucky I was too.

I've only ever been stopped once by the police, in the dead of night on a dual carriage way. I wasn't speeding, I just caned it off the lights and he happened to be behind me. He caught up and accused me of racing, utterly bewildered I realised he meant the taxi that was beside me at the lights. I just had a lead foot, it comes across as quite an aggressive driving style when viewed from the outside so his grumpy face was understandable.

It's interesting when you see how your driving looks from the outside, not often you get the opportunity, it but it's amazing how much you learn when you do.

"Do I really have that road position?"

"I pulled away pretty fast there"

"that wheel spin was way more noticeable than I thought."

"My revving sounds far more dickish from the outside"

Next time you find a car (including the police) tailing you, lift off the throttle. The only control you have over his stopping distance is the speed he travels at, so you need to reduce it until it's safe. After you've slowed a bit and they drop back then ease your speed back up. But for the love of god don't take the ****, do not stamp on the brakes, and don't stamp on the throttle either. If they still tail you, then it's easy for them to pass at the lower speed and they can crack on with their journey being an ass hat to someone else.

Edited by Husky

Most traffic cops are petrol heads, so they know the score.

In my limited experience I have to disagree with this. When I was young and foolish I had got pulled by a traffic cop. Unbeknown to me he had been following me for about 2 miles trying to catch me and was miles behind me. He only caught me because I stopped at some traffic lights and after a good few minutes he managed to catch up with me. He went absolutely mental at me. I begged forgiveness etc... and he wasnt having any of it. He was the typical patronising copper who treats you like something he has trot in. He wrote it all up. In fact he wrote my driving license number down completely wrong and had to phone me up a week later to get me to give him the correct number. Went to court and I got 3 points so felt I was very lucky not to get banned and learnt my lesson that even if its a quiet road with no traffic on it, then you still shouldn't speed.

Literally a few weeks later my brother was "baited" late a night by a car which kept zooming up to his back bumper, then backing off. Rather than just let the car pass, my brother thought he`d have some fun and floored his car. Needless to say, the car behind was an unmarked cop car, so he also got 3 points & a fine.

I have found though that motorcycle traffic cops are petrol heads and much more forgiving. They usually send you on your way or have a nice biker-to-biker chat about motorbikes in general, complete opposite to their car driving colleagues.