Speeding Info

Dicky

Most will probably already know this but thought it worth posting for the less we'll informed like myself.

Apparently it's a misconception that the police apply a calculation to determine if you get a fixed penalty notice or not, the calculation being ...speed limit + 10% + 2 mph. Therefore in a 30 mph zone this would be 35mph.

My mates wife just got gatso'ed at 35mph, so they thought they'd be safe and maybe let off or asked to attend the driving awareness course. But no she got fined and you can be fined doing 31mph. The calculation above is mearly guidance provided by the ACPO but is not law.

I've passed police cars on a motorway stretch near me on several occasions where the speed limit is 50mph and always thought Im ok doing around 55mph but no your not. Anyway lesson learnt by me.

I thought everyone knew this. It's an absolute offence, which means if you do 30.000001mph you can still be prosecuted.

No copper in the land is going to stop you for doing 75mph on a motorway, assuming you're not driving like a bellend. A camera on the other hand won't care quite so much.

I still have no idea why people do 80mph+ on the motorway, or speed inside 30 and 40 limits. No point and is just asking for trouble.

• Like 3

I'll quite happily pootle along at 70 with the cruise control on, that way I don't have to worry about it. They used to say there was a little leeway with the police as speedos tend to be ever so slightly different but not much, my digital is 3mph slower than my analogue and they are both different to my sat nav so about 72mph on the analogue one is usually about right for mine.

unfortunately now with so many fixed cameras and mobile vans parked up you don't get the benefit of digression like you do when talking to an officer.

Its just a case of them setting up their camera at 33 mph or so and saving a picture of everyone on or over that speed, Like Ekona says its not worth getting to the next set of traffic lights 2 minutes before the person you passed sticking to the speed limit.

I stick fairly closely to the speed limit and tend to drive in the nearside lane, unless overtaking or making room for (or avoiding) other traffic. I occasionally exceed the limit if trying to avoid circumstances where I can see driver behaviour looking like it'll cause an accident or put me / others in a dangerous situation.......I also slow down or brake to do the same thing. It's just not worth it full stop, but especially so for anyone who is reliant on driving for a living.

Edited by Bockaaarck

Slight speeding on the motorway is, as far as statistics go, not that dangerous (I'm not saying you should do it though!) hence the police tend to leave you alone as there are better things they could be spending time on. Speeding in a 30 zone however is statistically stupid thing to do. Not to mention the nature of the accidents involved (hitting children).

Sit at 73Mph on your speedo on the motorway and put a good tune on to pass the time. It's surprising how many people obsess over their rear view mirror on the motorway and feel like the traffic is pushing them along to go faster. You'll never meet the people again, you don't actually care about them and they don't care about you, so why should you speed up for them? :)

In a 30 zone, go 30 or slower, a ridiculous idea I know, but it is OK to go less than 30 in a built up area, especially if there are many parked cars and junctions.

It's a limit, not a target.

• Like 2

I recall someone who attended the Wales weekend but chose to do their own drive only to get caught by a mobile (in a well known 30mph location), whereas all the others on the official drive got safely through a little later on ;)

I'm sure that member's name will come back to me.................. :stir:

That said, the siting in that case and like many mobiles whether that be vans or hand-helds are often in locations where it is all too easy to transgress but there is no particular hazard. But we can all call to mind hundreds of locations where even 20mph in a 30 area can be hazardous but how many times do you see mobiles operating there?

Theres alot of people round my way(generally oldish people) will sit at 40 through a clear 60 zone then continue to sit at 40 when they are going through 30 zones in built up areas. Really gets on my man boobs

Ye those are the worst sort of drivers in my opinion. Generally oblivious as to their surroundings and what's going on

I recall someone who attended the Wales weekend but chose to do their own drive only to get caught by a mobile (in a well known 30mph location), whereas all the others on the official drive got safely through a little later on ;)

I'm sure that member's name will come back to me.................. :stir:

Indeed, I got a slap on the wrist for doing 33mph in a 30, 5 metres from a 60mph zone. Which is a good back up of what someone said earlier, you can be .0001 over the limit, the rules are the rules and they can do you for it. I have various advanced driving licenses and drive tens of thousands work and personal miles a year, but bottom line, we are all human and make mistakes. Going slower means that when you inevitably do make a mistake, it doesn't cost you or others around you too much.

That day when I got my awareness course for 33mph I'm damned sure all the cars in front of me got points as they were long gone at that 60 sign. Glad I was being sensible.

PS: I'm never visiting sodding wales again those cheating speed camera fine raping bastards

As for the stirring, very clever.

tumblr_inline_mh3jlbTPLU1qzblbp.gif

Edited by Husky

My mates wife just got gatso'ed at 35mph, so they thought they'd be safe and maybe let off or asked to attend the driving awareness course. But no she got fined and you can be fined doing 31mph.

The speeding awareness course in North Wales which is one of the worst places to get caught speeding are generally offered up to speeds of 40 in a 30 zone. It depends on several factors though, for example, previous convictions or if you've been on a course in the last 3 (or is it 4?) years. Only Scotland does not offer a course these days.

BTW, When I got done for speeding some 22 years ago, I was caught by a police motorbike who was hiding under a bridge with a hand held meter. He caught me up and showed me the reading, it was 80.8 (in a 60 zone). When the summons came through from Shropshire it had been rounded down to 80 mph.

Pete

Edited by JetSet

If you think you've been snapped by a speed camera. Fixed or. Mobile. You can check to see if your going to get that dreaded brown envelope

Go to:

www.i-database.co.uk

Enter your reg number and check.

I never knew that! Cheers

If you think you've been snapped by a speed camera. Fixed or. Mobile. You can check to see if your going to get that dreaded brown envelope

Go to:

www.i-database.co.uk

Enter your reg number and check.

Barsteward............i swallowed that one Hook line and Sinker. Ok so I am a little bit gullible.